Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An entertaining close match. Struff was pretty strong but Tsitsipas never relented and proved too steady in the end. Well done!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Important win against against someone Stef has struggled against.

Clearly meant a lot to him judging by his reaction.

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
What a great fightback from Greek the Freak!

Amazing clutchness from Stefanos who just outsmarted the peaking Struffi with his intelligent play. Let's face it, people, it was never in doubt and even after he lost the first set the final outcome was inevitable. ;)

Onto the SF, the dream final vs Djoker approaching! Come on!

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
The Marseille-Dubai double seems to be Tsitsipas’s ground now, he‘s always looked excellent in this period. Struff obviously played a good match, but it still shows why he can never go deep in a big tournament or win a smaller tournament, he simply lacks the belief when things get rough. I guess he may never become more than a dangerous floater in early rounds.

·
Registered
186 Posts
After he broke himself at the start of the second set, I could have bet my house Struff was going to find a way to lose no matter what. But the way he did it and the time he chose to do it. OMG. No matter how hard you can hit the ball if you haven't got a brain.

Pas Pas is a great player, but I find him so annoying,. Hope Djokovic can stop him.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
I watched from the beginning of the third until the break and I think I missed a racquet smash. Not because I didn't see the racquet smash Struff executed, which I saw, but because a choke of this proportion requires the destruction of a second one.

Reactions: just1ce

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After he broke himself at the start of the second set, I could have bet my house Struff was going to find a way to lose no matter what. But the way he did it and the time he chose to do it. OMG. No matter how hard you can hit the ball if you haven't got a brain.

Pas Pas is a great player, but I find him so annoying,. Hope Djokovic can stop him.
Tits hit three winners to bring up BP.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
What a great fightback from Greek the Freak!

Amazing clutchness from Stefanos who just outsmarted the peaking Struffi with his intelligent play. Let's face it, people, it was never in doubt and even after he lost the first set the final outcome was inevitable. ;)

Onto the SF, the dream final vs Djoker approaching! Come on!
Yeah what a dream final. Can’t wait to see Djokovic win 1 and 2 again. Will be very exciting ???

·
justice for all
16,244 Posts
Yeah what a dream final. Can’t wait to see Djokovic win 1 and 2 again. Will be very exciting ???
Watch out cause H2H is actually 2-2 right now and if we count Mubadala Stefanos leads 3-2.
Yeah, I would expect Djokovic to take it cause he looks to be in great form but it happened before that he looked great and then faltered and got defeated.
Who would you root for if this final in fact becomes a reality?

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
The Marseille-Dubai double seems to be Tsitsipas’s ground now, he‘s always looked excellent in this period. Struff obviously played a good match, but it still shows why he can never go deep in a big tournament or win a smaller tournament, he simply lacks the belief when things get rough. I guess he may never become more than a dangerous floater in early rounds.
When did you see this lack of belief?

To me his racquet smashing was his "I belong here" moment.

Never seen it from him before.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
When did you see this lack of belief?

To me his racquet smashing was his "I belong here" moment.

Never seen it from him before.
Well, maybe not the perfect wording, but he showed obvious signs of stiffness after Tsitsipas hit great shots to get to BP from 4-4 40-0, didn’t have the kind of confidence hitting he displayed on serve previously and that’s a sign of doubting yourself in my book, anyone can smash their racquet out of frustration in a close match.

I don’t think it’s a complete coincidence that Struff has lost all 8 of his Masters R16 matches, including 5 where he won a set, not to mention all 5 ATP 500 QFs and all 7 ATP 250 SFs. He’s surely good enough to make a breakthrough but just lacks the ability to win when the stakes are large, IMO it’s a belief problem after failing so many times.

·
Registered
17,806 Posts
Well, maybe not the perfect wording, but he showed obvious signs of stiffness after Tsitsipas hit great shots to get to BP from 4-4 40-0, didn’t have the kind of confidence hitting he displayed on serve previously and that’s a sign of doubting yourself in my book, anyone can smash their racquet out of frustration in a close match.

I don’t think it’s a complete coincidence that Struff has lost all 8 of his Masters R16 matches, including 5 where he won a set, not to mention all 5 ATP 500 QFs and all 7 ATP 250 SFs. He’s surely good enough to make a breakthrough but just lacks the ability to win when the stakes are large, IMO it’s a belief problem after failing so many times.
Interesting. Never knew he had that clear of a ceiling at so many different stages. Similar to how it used to be with Anderson.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts