Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My Basilashvili pick in tennis tipping must be GOATest ever.

24 Posts
Based purely on talent Struff might just be the biggest underachiever in tennis history. Huge serve, ridiculous racquet head speed from both wings, fights for every point yet has never come close to even winning a 250. The fact that he's never cracked the top 30 which he's about to turn in 2 months is simply baffling. If he could continue this form he has a legit shot of making the finals considering he beat Stefanos twice last year.

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Struff broke out last year.

He's pretty beastly since, but taking it to a new level with this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Struff broke out last year.

He's pretty beastly since, but taking it to a new level with this.
Struff has a big game that's for sure. Why he fails to consolidate is strange. He seems to have the motivation and he's got the experience. He remains a mystery to me. I first noticed him via Shapo (who was beaten more than once by him). There are just so many good players at the moment.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
The Georgian is one of the most overrated players on the forum, by some.

I've even heard some refer to him as a "great" player. ?

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
Struff has a big game that's for sure. Why he fails to consolidate is strange. He seems to have the motivation and he's got the experience. He remains a mystery to me. I first noticed him via Shapo (who was beaten more than once by him). There are just so many good players at the moment.
He's consolidating just fine since last year. Before, he wasn't as good. He worked hard, he'll make 3-4 R's at slams if he gets some simpler draws.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Just wow , Im studying so I cant watch live . Ill catch the highlights. Struff go for the title damn it you deserve it

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Based purely on talent Struff might just be the biggest underachiever in tennis history. Huge serve, ridiculous racquet head speed from both wings, fights for every point yet has never come close to even winning a 250. The fact that he's never cracked the top 30 which he's about to turn in 2 months is simply baffling. If he could continue this form he has a legit shot of making the finals considering he beat Stefanos twice last year.
I watched him play in the Helsinki challenger against Nieminen 7-8 years ago. He didnt have the same power in his groundstrokes. He had really good precision in his groundstrokes but wasnt hitting hard. I remember the match because it was great entertainment, Nieminen saving a few match points and winning in a third set tiebreak if I recall correctly

I think maybe only later in his career realized that he could hit it hard consistently and that it was adventagous for him to essentially ballbash with his height and movement. Many players have instincts to either be the agressor or the defender, its not easily explained. But my hypothesis is that Struff on an instinctual level is the opposite of a ballbasher and had to learn to ballbash later in his career as it didnt come naturally to him. Thus explaining his breaking out at a very late age.

Can someone confirm or deny this? It could be that the Struff I saw at the Helsinki challenger was an anomaly, a game plan designed to beat Nieminen who always was known as having good defense and counterpunching skills. Maybe not giving Nieminen pace to feed on would be a rational gameplan. Maybe he always ballbashed

·
Registered
13,947 Posts
I watched him play in the Helsinki challenger against Nieminen 7-8 years ago. He didnt have the same power in his groundstrokes. He had really good precision in his groundstrokes but wasnt hitting hard. I remember the match because it was great entertainment, Nieminen saving a few match points and winning in a third set tiebreak if I recall correctly

I think maybe only later in his career realized that he could hit it hard consistently and that it was adventagous for him to essentially ballbash with his height and movement. Many players have instincts to either be the agressor or the defender, its not easily explained. But my hypothesis is that Struff on an instinctual level is the opposite of a ballbasher and had to learn to ballbash later in his career as it didnt come naturally to him. Thus explaining his breaking out at a very late age.

Can someone confirm or deny this? It could be that the Struff I saw at the Helsinki challenger was an anomaly, a game plan designed to beat Nieminen who always was known as having good defense and counterpunching skills. Maybe not giving Nieminen pace to feed on would be a rational gameplan. Maybe he always ballbashed

There it is.

Struff was a pretty significant choker until last year.

And just from the scoreline alone and your description of the match, it looks like the mental department gave him issues in this one as well.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,517 Posts

There it is.

Struff was a pretty significant choker until last year.

And just from the scoreline alone and your description of the match, it looks like the mental department gave him issues in this one as well.
Yes I feel the mental aspect has been one improvement. He's cleaned up his game pretty well. Though he should not have lost to Kei in Rome last year. He broke Kei three straight times in the second set and was broken back immediately to 15 or 0 each time, ended up losing the match.

24 Posts
Last year he also had some really "suspicious" losses. Having a bad day and losing to Montiero 1 & 1 on clay is one thing but that loss to Ryan Nijboer in the Rotterdam qualies in straight sets as a 1.03 favorite despite leading 4-0 in the first set is about as shady as it gets. Of course he would go on to beat Raonic in Dubai the following tournament so who knows what to expect from him.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The new StanimaI Warwinka anybody? If he goes onto the final or wins title, certainly a candidate w/ the likes of Novak & Tsitsi still looming.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts