Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
41,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First to thanks to all, who make and keep this game alive, I think all TOP 20 players can vote here + managers. I will try to sum up here the proposals from Managers Thread :p

1. To look one ranking for entry list and seeding (2 weeks before tournament start)

2. No late picks anymore

3. "Main Draw should start on Monday - not always on Tuesday - it should be handled like in Paris (We used Challenger matches for qualification and Paris Matches for the MD)
Players in the Qualification could send picks for the Qualifying and for the Main Draw -. if they qualify they could be placed into the MD immediately as they already made MD picks
The disadvantage would be a 2-day First round - in the meantime the OOP wouldn't always have to be split what would make the manager's task easier. that'sworth talking about I reckon" - kingroger proposal.

4. To have one SE for players with low ranking who reach final in previous week.

5. How to make DTT more popular (especially how to find new managers)?

·
41,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not a top 20 player but i agree with all top 4. I dont like having to send for challenger events.

Of course you can share opinion :p
Also I don't like point 3, the other points are OK for me.
Waiting for point 5 suggestions :p

·
Sitzen ist fürn Arsch
50,979 Posts
1. agree
2. agree
3. don't know (but no challengers matches for MD DTT)
4. 1 SE sounds okay but will it work with SF results before the Q draw is made?
5. it will be difficult :awww:

6. What about sign in deadline + doubles confirmation? If we had the same rules like in TT it would have been a lot easier for Direnan this week.

·
Registered
18,115 Posts
First to thanks to all, who make and keep this game alive, I think all TOP 20 players can vote here + managers. I will try to sum up here the proposals from Managers Thread :p

1. To look one ranking for entry list and seeding (2 weeks before tournament start)

2. No late picks anymore

3. "Main Draw should start on Monday - not always on Tuesday - it should be handled like in Paris (We used Challenger matches for qualification and Paris Matches for the MD)
Players in the Qualification could send picks for the Qualifying and for the Main Draw -. if they qualify they could be placed into the MD immediately as they already made MD picks
The disadvantage would be a 2-day First round - in the meantime the OOP wouldn't always have to be split what would make the manager's task easier. that'sworth talking about I reckon" - kingroger proposal.

4. To have one SE for players with low ranking who reach final in previous week.

1. To be honest I think I mostly did use this in the tournaments anyway. This rule makes management much easier, so I would agree here :p

2. I also agree here, because it makes management easier.
But last time we wanted to play with this rule we lost some players, because doubles matches mostly start after singles matches and often there is no "not before" in the OOP.
We have to find a solution for that, especcially when the 1st singles match starts at for example 11:00am and the first doubles match is scheduled as 4th match on court :scratch:

3. I don´t agree here.
Tipping challenger matches should really be an exception. We will lose a lot of players if we use challenger matches for qualification on a regular basis. It would be very unfair having to pick challengers with unknown players every week.

4. I never thought about this, because qualification starts after the tournamnets in the week before is finished, but it is worth to take into consideration :p
There will be less SEs than in TT because there is only 1 tournament in DTT every week.
I don´t think we could establish a challenger tournament in DTT every week, because only during masters and grand slams weeks there are more than 36 players. (28 players plus 8 players for qualification) :scratch:

5. That´s a hard task. I don´t know how we could work on that :shrug:

·
41,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2. I also agree here, because it makes management easier.
But last time we wanted to play with this rule we lost some players, because doubles matches mostly start after singles matches and often there is no "not before" in the OOP.
We have to find a solution for that, especcially when the 1st singles match starts at for example 11:00am and the first doubles match is scheduled as 4th match on court :scratch:
In that case deadline will be when matches start, I mean not accept picks after first match start :p

·
Registered
11,809 Posts

2. No late picks anymore

1. Why not ... if it helps ease the life of managers. But, I don't think this is the most painful part for managers to deal with that.

2. DTT was meant to have less stringent rules than TT because we wanted to be popular. I agree we can be less flexible to refuse late picks but keep the "when matches start" stuff.

3. I would still vote for qualies on Monday (not Sunday). Depending on format of tournament, some 1st round matches may start on Monday as well or Tuesday.

4. OK. Singles only ?

5. I will reply in another post.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
For making it more popular we could easily edit our signature and write something like: Come and play DTT etc...

Managers: We can PM players/managers - I think I PM'ed 30 players in October - 10 or something considered that they would like to help out next year....

Coming back to Late Picks:
We really have to look at it from 2 sides: As mentioned before, you never really know when the match actually starts - it's always a matter of how long the Sinlges matches take. That's why players could say: I thought deadline is when match starts

On the other hand the manager always sets a deadline - everybody should stick to that, in TT most players respect the deadline as well.
In addition Late Picks don't even influence the score anymore if they are that late - the question is if Picks are sent between the deadline and start of play.
But mentioning that we are coming back to the deadline the manager sets and I think it's not that hard to send picks in time :wavey:

I would still propose to make the Entry List with Rankings from 2 weeks prior to the tournament.
To make DTT more real and to assimilate it to the real ATP Entry/Seeding system we should determine seeding as of 1 week before the tournament...

·
41,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would still propose to make the Entry List with Rankings from 2 weeks prior to the tournament.
To make DTT more real and to assimilate it to the real ATP Entry/Seeding system we should determine seeding as of 1 week before the tournament...

It's more easier to use one ranking for both ;)

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If you would like to do it like that it's fair enough :wavey:

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Please, no challenger picks unless you are starting challenger series.

No late picks sounds fine, but how does one determine when match actually starts?

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Regarding following:

There are 2 things. First is how to make DTT more popular. Second is how to find new managers.

How to make DTT more popular means having more participants. Honestly, number of participants has slightly increased in 2011 (first time there was need to have qualies while in previous years, there were many tournaments with bye rounds for best seeded players. Making DTT more popular means making more popular ATP Doubles Circuit and there are not so many matches shown on TV, Internet for this. DTT Team could start to display Bios of players, showing interest in displaying race of Doubles but this is a huge effort to add (I have started this 2 years ago with quizz to win more Credits ...).

Another way to make DTT more popular would be that DTT Winners could win a SE in TT Tournament or whatever could be incentive to have interest for players which are regular TT players (eg. TT Tournament doubles which is actually the DTT one ...).

Another option would be to drastically change DTT format (not yet the one of Tennis season) and replace it by another format (NBA/NHL format ? Soccer championship format ? Champions League format ? Formula 1 season). For instance, betting only on final stages (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) for regular tournament (as a kind of qualifying roundà and only focusing on Masters Series + Grand Slams would help attracting new participants (and managers) who are reluctant to play DTT since this is too much time to spend.

·
Registered
11,809 Posts
Regarding the "How to find new managers ?", this is equivalent to following question: "how to ease the life of managers ?".

Many options can be considered but the main stuff is how to have less things to do. Evita's spreadsheet was (and still is !) a great progress but we may have to go further. Either thru an automatic Web page which would collect picks automatically and display results (there are sites existing already and I guess it should be easy to customize them to DTT ... if somebody has time to initiatte that).

Another option would be to have not 1 manager doing everything per week but a collaborative management (for instance, use a DTT Board PM).

In the different formulas above (eg. like soccer championships), if managers can focus only on Friday/Saturday/Sunday during regular season, that would be a great save of time ...

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Regarding following:

There are 2 things. First is how to make DTT more popular. Second is how to find new managers.

How to make DTT more popular means having more participants. Honestly, number of participants has slightly increased in 2011 (first time there was need to have qualies while in previous years, there were many tournaments with bye rounds for best seeded players. Making DTT more popular means making more popular ATP Doubles Circuit and there are not so many matches shown on TV, Internet for this. DTT Team could start to display Bios of players, showing interest in displaying race of Doubles but this is a huge effort to add (I have started this 2 years ago with quizz to win more Credits ...).

Another way to make DTT more popular would be that DTT Winners could win a SE in TT Tournament or whatever could be incentive to have interest for players which are regular TT players (eg. TT Tournament doubles which is actually the DTT one ...).

Another option would be to drastically change DTT format (not yet the one of Tennis season) and replace it by another format (NBA/NHL format ? Soccer championship format ? Champions League format ? Formula 1 season). For instance, betting only on final stages (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) for regular tournament (as a kind of qualifying roundà and only focusing on Masters Series + Grand Slams would help attracting new participants (and managers) who are reluctant to play DTT since this is too much time to spend.
Great ideas!! But I don't like the last point - betting only on Final stages is not the solution in my opinion - the DTT format as it is at the moment should stay like this....

What I find interesting is the SE thing :D

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Something that needs to be discussed is the use of PTS for the final set tie-break (10 points) and the same for the GD

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts

Agreed

2. No late picks anymore

Disagree. Charm of DTT is the less stringent rules than TT. And doubles matches when there are scheduling problems etc... are usually the first to move to unpredictable times. We should keep the flexibility - particularly since many want to make the game more popular.

Again I disagree.

Interesting proposal. Maybe we can consider one wildcard in singles as well for larger tournaments?

My question maybe is whether it is necessary. We have a very stable group of 20-30 players and almost always fill slots in tournaments - we never have to cancel a tournament for lack of interest. In grand slams and large tournaments we already have more. I also find it nice to often play the same players and teams often - you get to know everyone's tendencies. In any event, I'm certainly not against increasing popularity - at the same time though I think the game is growing at a good pace and enjoy the group of players we have on a weekly basis.

One last point - I've never managed DTT before and will really try my hardest this year to do it but my new job doesnt lend itself unfortunately to managing :sad:

One issue we may want to consider is "dropping" tournaments in certain weeks where the tournaments are spread across multiple time zones across different continents. This would make the manager's life so much easier that week.

·
41,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with last point for example when we have 3 tournaments per week we can use obly two which are in simular time zone.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
In my opinopn we should use the ATP point system and not the one we're having right now....

In addition we can do something like the Eurasian Autumn Circuit in FITD...
For example we could do an Euroamerican Hardcourt Spring Circuit (Zagreb, Rotterdam, Marseille, Dubai, Indian Wells and Miami)

As seen in FITD we could have a leaderboard after each tournament - the 10 players with the most points could get additional points towards their ranking....

Having read ibreak4coffee's argument on the "lack of players" I came to the conclusion that it's of course right, that it's great to see player's tendencies as well as to have more direct rivalries.... But: If we have more players, a few may offer to manage some tournaments :)

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Does somebody have an opinion here?
WHat do the board members have to say?? :wavey:

Would be great to have some advancements soon...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts