Mens Tennis Forums banner

Doubles get no respect from ATP

552 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jcempire 
#1 ·
Two really interesting match-ups in doubles play today and MSATP livestream on court two shut down after singles play finished. Who wouldn't have liked to see Canas/Nalby v. Kuerten/Moya and Almagro/Ferrer v.Erlich/Ram. The ATP wants a "Doubles Revolution" but doesn't seem to want to put their money where their mouth is. For Shame!!!

#2 ·
The ATP doesn't care about Tennis, really that is the bottom line. All they care about is money. Doubles is the most popular for recreational players anywhere in the world. If you go to clubs whether in Buenos Aires or Bangkok, 90 % are playing and enjoying doubles. I watched a live doubles match 3 years ago featuring Willy Canas and Fely Lopez, vs Fridel and pala, and for me it was so entertaining. But then what do I know.

#3 ·
I am not a big doubles fan but when the ATP is encouraging singles player to play doubles and then ignores them...it makes me realize you are right. How do they hope to "grow the fan base" if they don't give any exposure to doubles when they have great match-ups like the ones discussed. One of the most exciting doubles matches I've ever witnessed was Safin/Youzhny v. Hanley/Ulette [sp] ...the atmosphere was pure electric and Safin was on FIRE...and I'm sure that the people in the stands were the only ones who saw the match. No coverage...This was a masters event with ATP livestream so what was their excuse?

#4 ·
I agree with you entirely and I have emailed the mastersseries.tv people to complain about this.

Frankly, they should make the doubles matches on the televised courts available and they should make them free to air to anyone as a sweetener and to promote doubles better.

#7 ·
Exactly. I really don't see why it's such a great expense for them to keep the cameras on while the doubles matches take place. They don't even need to hire commentators, just show the matches.

Last year they offered some of the TMS doubles finals for free to anyone who wanted to watch them. I remember watching the Bryans win in Canada last year.

#8 ·
Agree, I like doubles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.