Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have been on menstennisforums.

I am a new teacher in a high poverty school. My school provides very minimal school supplies and I am planning on starting a donors choose project for things like pencils, tissues, whiteboard markers. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in donating. Thanks.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,610 Posts
Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have been on menstennisforums.

I am a new teacher in a high poverty school. My school provides very minimal school supplies and I am planning on starting a donors choose project for things like pencils, tissues, whiteboard markers. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in donating. Thanks.
I'm going to be honest with you. This forum is not really the most suited platform for doing this kind of fundraising, as the members don't really know you closely or the funding you require, so the success you get may be rather limited. Also, the forum has hit a 'deadspot' in non tennis activity, and you'll be lucky to find many willing philanthropists. That said, I am ok with you asking for some financial support here, providing you do the following:

Set up some sort of online fund https://www.gofundme.com/, or provide an official means of electronic monetary transfer.

Describe in more detail about the school situation (no need to be specific about what school, just the roundabout location/country), your role as teacher, and the amount of fundraising you hope to achieve (range, or target), and what you intend to do with the money. I think that's typically the bare minimum.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
I'm going to be honest with you. This forum is not really the most suited platform for doing this kind of fundraising, as the members don't really know you closely or the funding you require, so the success you get may be rather limited. Also, the forum has hit a 'deadspot' in non tennis activity, and you'll be lucky to find many willing philanthropists. That said, I am ok with you asking for some financial support here, providing you do the following:
Not to mention that many users are barely over legal age and have no income most likely. :p

·
52,610 Posts
Not to mention that many users are barely over legal age and have no income most likely. :p
yes I'm still doing my PhD right now, and the user seems to be a young teacher himself.
I am more open to this idea compared to the 'fund my USO trip' from the introductions subforum that said, and I'm happy to contribute at least a stationary set so some kids can write :lol:.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I know this is not the best place but I figured I would try everything haha. It is hard to teach without pencils for the kids...

Once my principal approves it, I'm going to start a DonorsChoose page that I can post if anyone does want to donate.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where in Africa are you currently located so I know where to send money?
It's hard to believe this is the United States of America. I only received 2 whiteboard markers, one pair of scissors, four pencils, and staples for my supplies. Crazy! And my school said they don't provide tissues. I'm planning on just taking TP out of the bathroom if the kids don't bring any.

·
External factor expert
4,170 Posts
It's hard to believe this is the United States of America. I only received 2 whiteboard markers, one pair of scissors, four pencils, and staples for my supplies. Crazy! And my school said they don't provide tissues. I'm planning on just taking TP out of the bathroom if the kids don't bring any.
Your story wont sell here. First of all, I dont think the school is to blame. I hardly ever heard of any school providing pencils. The students are the ones who should take care of that. They might be poor, but we are talking about mere cents here. If you cant gather couple of cents, which is btw very easy to do, just check all the corners of your house and you should be fine. I think your students are simply not dedicated enough and will hardly learn anything in the process by gifting them those items. You live in USA where everyone should be able to afford a pencil. Have you tried communicating with the parents?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00125Q75Y/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bXCoix_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=RDTWBGVMTZ6YXMVERPD7&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=c6de5933-3d0d-5911-8d8e-2f81d8937781&pf_rd_i=490674011

$ 0.1 for a pencil.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Low income school so a lot of parents don't bring any supplies and a lot of kids don't even bring the basics every day. I already purchased markers/colored pencils for my kids so we can do projects but supplying pencils and tissues to kids all the time can really add up. I agree that teachers shouldn't have to spend out of pocket so I am really trying to limit my spending. I teach the lower level kiddos and a colleague told me that it is hard to get them to bring anything in.

·
10,271 Posts
Low income school so a lot of parents don't bring any supplies and a lot of kids don't even bring the basics every day. I already purchased markers/colored pencils for my kids so we can do projects but supplying pencils and tissues to kids all the time can really add up. I agree that teachers shouldn't have to spend out of pocket so I am really trying to limit my spending. I teach the lower level kiddos and a colleague told me that it is hard to get them to bring anything in.
You were pretty indifferent to me when you posted on here and didn't seem to make much of a connection with many posters.

We know next to nothing about you and you are asking for money???
@GOATsol I was a teacher in a third world country and we were able to get supplies together and make things work. You know what I did?

I asked all the kids to contribute 50 cents to a dollar or whatever they could bring. I'm not too sure a teacher can do this legally in America, but then I used that money to buy whiteboard markers / etc. Also when kids have personal buy in to the class or materials, then the more likely they are to look after those materials...instead of thinking that Ms. GOATsol with her nice degree and "Millionaire" teacher salary will always be providing the materials.

You could also try to do something like personalize every student's pencil or something and make it apart of attendance/ or giving a gold star. Example is Little Jason colors his pencil like a fire truck and it is even labeled with his name; that way the pencil could be seen as something for the kids to hold onto and something they associate with themselves and doing well at school.

I can help out with ideas but I cannot help with $$$

·
External factor expert
4,170 Posts
You sound like a white guy who tries to make a difference in the projects. I appreciate what you do, but from where I'm sitting, it doesnt seem like your students care all that much, same applies to the parents. Classic story.

·
52,610 Posts
I agree parents should be able to provide some contributions for the bare minimum. What grade of students are we talking about? Seems like young elementary to me. This would be an unacceptable situation in a secondary school.

I can understand school providing standard color pencils, paints/brushes, scissors, glue and crayons for craft especially for students under the age of 10. They should provide writing books as well. But writing pencils, every student should be able to bring a pencil case/container with 2 pencils, a sharpener and eraser. How will they be able to do homework if they don't have that?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You were pretty indifferent to me when you posted on here and didn't seem to make much of a connection with many posters.

We know next to nothing about you and you are asking for money???

@GOATsol I was a teacher in a third world country and we were able to get supplies together and make things work. You know what I did?

I asked all the kids to contribute 50 cents to a dollar or whatever they could bring. I'm not too sure a teacher can do this legally in America, but then I used that money to buy whiteboard markers / etc. Also when kids have personal buy in to the class or materials, then the more likely they are to look after those materials...instead of thinking that Ms. GOATsol with her nice degree and "Millionaire" teacher salary will always be providing the materials.

You could also try to do something like personalize every student's pencil or something and make it apart of attendance/ or giving a gold star. Example is Little Jason colors his pencil like a fire truck and it is even labeled with his name; that way the pencil could be seen as something for the kids to hold onto and something they associate with themselves and doing well at school.

I can help out with ideas but I cannot help with $$$
I can't ask kids for $$ here, but I was thinking of doing some sort of pencil sign out system. I asked for more pencils from my school so I'll see how many the supply lady drops off in my room. She is also trying to find me a pencil sharpener which is good. The issue is that it is hard to remember which kids signed a pencil out, etc. and remind them to give it back at the end. One of my classroom rules is to be prepared and ready to learn, but obviously not every kid will come in with a pencil every day. I'm also going to ask the custodian if she can put any pencils she finds on the floor in my room. If I run out, I will let them use a colored pencil. I did have to purchase these, but it's obviously much less desirable to write with. I agree that kids will be more invested in the supplies if they purchase them. Kids waste tissues so much...my plan is to not supply tissues and ask kids to bring them in. I might offer them a "ticket" (like a school-wide reward) for bringing in tissues/hand sanitizer (if I am allowed to...my school is low-income, so they might not want me to reward kids that requires any $$ on their part). I'm also going to ask parents at parent night.

I sent the principal my DonorsChoose project proposal and I hope he approves it. I know some schools don't want to seem like they don't provide supplies because what I'm asking for is pretty basic.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree parents should be able to provide some contributions for the bare minimum. What grade of students are we talking about? Seems like young elementary to me. This would be an unacceptable situation in a secondary school.

I can understand school providing standard color pencils, paints/brushes, scissors, glue and crayons for craft especially for students under the age of 10. They should provide writing books as well. But writing pencils, every student should be able to bring a pencil case/container with 2 pencils, a sharpener and eraser. How will they be able to do homework if they don't have that?
I have 6th grade students. My school doesn't provide scissors, glue, colored pencils so I purchased the glue/colored pencils/markers when it was cheap at Walmart. I 100% agree that every kid should come to school with a pencil. That's actually one of my class expectations and I'm really going to try to work with my kids on it. But it unfortunately doesn't seem like the school culture at my school and I can't singlehandedly change it. I was told most teachers purchase pencils with their own $$. Honestly, that really frustrates me that I am expected to purchase a basic school supply after already purchasing other stuff. If my DonorsChoose doesn't get funded, I am planning on just doing without and seeing what happens.

·
52,610 Posts
I have 6th grade students. My school doesn't provide scissors, glue, colored pencils so I purchased the glue/colored pencils/markers when it was cheap at Walmart. I 100% agree that every kid should come to school with a pencil. That's actually one of my class expectations and I'm really going to try to work with my kids on it. But it unfortunately doesn't seem like the school culture at my school and I can't singlehandedly change it. I was told most teachers purchase pencils with their own $$. Honestly, that really frustrates me that I am expected to purchase a basic school supply after already purchasing other stuff. If my DonorsChoose doesn't get funded, I am planning on just doing without and seeing what happens.
Man tough position you have. 6th grade is hardly the time for considering basic needs. I recall (as a student) up to 3rd grade, some stuff would be provided but from 4th grade on you brought your own stationary set, including pencils, pens, rulers etc. Coloured pencils and textas were optional. 6th grade, if they cannot even bring basic writing equipment then you would very much worry about what happens when they graduate into high school where the dependency on a single teacher would be reduced.

That said you should run things two ways

1) Have 'invested' supply. Don't buy equipment for every student but have a couple of items (say 5-10) in a box you can work with in the classroom such as a couple of glue sticks, rulers, erasers, set of coloured pencils (max 3 sets), scissors. I'd be surprised if a teacher forked out more than $100 for this. This set will be available for posterity in your classroom meaning it should last for several years (at least stuff like scissors, rulers). This is what I imagine out of pocket expenses to be.

2) Basic requirements. Every student should be able to bring their own pen/pencil/eraser. Especially 6th graders, because it won't get easier after that.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I already purchased things like markers, colored pencils, glue sticks on sale at Walmart and spent about $20 total so it wasn't bad. But the issue is that I also had a bunch of other things to buy -- file folders, grading pens, crates, storage bins, a hole puncher, and more. I even spent $$ getting whiteboard markers for myself on sale because I was told the school always runs out and I don't want to have to pay full price. I've been very frugal compared to my I just feel like I shouldn't have to spend any more for a class set of scissors, chart paper, whiteboard markers for the kids, etc. My room comes with whiteboards for the kids but the school refused to give me a class set of whiteboard markers for the kids to use. When I asked about tissues, I was just told they don't have them but I wasn't told to add them to a supply list, etc. It's like they just expect teachers to buy them which I don't agree with. A ton of people told me to buy my own pencils and I feel that the school should supply them if the kids don't bring them.
I know that I am luckier than a lot of teachers but it's frustrating. DonorsChoose has a 50% match today but my principal hasn't even replied to me approving my project. Sigh.

·
10,271 Posts
I already purchased things like markers, colored pencils, glue sticks on sale at Walmart and spent about $20 total so it wasn't bad. But the issue is that I also had a bunch of other things to buy -- file folders, grading pens, crates, storage bins, a hole puncher, and more. I even spent $$ getting whiteboard markers for myself on sale because I was told the school always runs out and I don't want to have to pay full price. I've been very frugal compared to my I just feel like I shouldn't have to spend any more for a class set of scissors, chart paper, whiteboard markers for the kids, etc. My room comes with whiteboards for the kids but the school refused to give me a class set of whiteboard markers for the kids to use. When I asked about tissues, I was just told they don't have them but I wasn't told to add them to a supply list, etc. It's like they just expect teachers to buy them which I don't agree with. A ton of people told me to buy my own pencils and I feel that the school should supply them if the kids don't bring them.
I know that I am luckier than a lot of teachers but it's frustrating. DonorsChoose has a 50% match today but my principal hasn't even replied to me approving my project. Sigh.
I'm sorry to say this GOATsol, but you have become another statistic in the American Education system.

I know all about your struggles and really the only thing you can do is try to go to your state reps and work on increasing public education funding. The other teachers are probably defeated in this regard and have become complacent with the "status quo", aka having zero support financially, administratively and or emotionally....

I don't expect any changes within your school, so the only thing you can do is band together and try to fight for your "simple" rights as a teacher. The "simple" rights of a teacher are a hard thing to get though, when you have this woman in charge....

Who is first and foremost a businesswoman and secondly is more worried about private schools and the select few, than the other 85% of schools and students.

I wish you the best GOATsol; you are in honorable position, whether it is out of choice or necessity. Remember that what you are doing may have a huge impact on these kids' lives and that you can be the difference between them going to college or looking into a trade school, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts