Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Donald is ranked 106 at present and is in the quarterfinals of Champaign Challenger tournament with no points to defend. He will break into the top 100 next week. Not bad for someone who had been written off by many from this forum.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,400 Posts
congrats Don :worship:

now he can play GSs without needing a WC and enter directly in MD of many tournaments

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
He becomes the youngest in the top 100 starting next week then (currently the youngest is Del Potro).

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Thank you so much! I've been meaning to look up his ranking after the USO but never got the chance. I'll be re-watching some of his matches this past summer. Don!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Well done to him - I'm glad to see that, when the wildcard route mostly failed, he recommitted, went back down and got it done the hard way and is in the top 100 on merit - clearly there's some steel there after he was pretty much written off by a lot of people.

It will be interesting to see what he can do in 2008, best of luck to him.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well done to him - I'm glad to see that, when the wildcard route mostly failed, he recommitted, went back down and got it done the hard way and is in the top 100 on merit - clearly there's some steel there after he was pretty much written off by a lot of people.

Having received 13 Wild Cards during the past year, I wouldn't go as far as saying that he has done it the hard way. Donald has obviously made incredible improvements this year and has strung together the results needed for a place in the top 100. He played great tennis during the late summer and proved that he can challenge the ATP level guys. However, he has still been given a much easier route to the top 100 than almost everyone else since the rankings were introduced...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

That's the way it should be and it seems he learned that lesson (the hard way).
Let's see what he can do next year.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
Having received 13 Wild Cards during the past year, I wouldn't go as far as saying that he has done it the hard way. Donald has obviously made incredible improvements this year and has strung together the results needed for a place in the top 100. He played great tennis during the late summer and proved that he can challenge the ATP level guys. However, he has still been given a much easier route to the top 100 than almost everyone else since the rankings were introduced...
He might have received them but I don't recall him doing a great deal with them at ATP level - he was a bit fortunate to make R3 of the US Open thanks to a default but he won his first match fair and square. He also won a round at New Haven, beating Delic.

I'm less concerned about him getting wildcards at challenger level, that's to be expected and on those scores he tended to justify them.

I still think he's made it into the top 100 on merit.

·
Registered
17,115 Posts
Congrats, Donald. :cool:

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Alright Donald! :worship:
His rise up the rankings was rapid, I think the invite from PMac to hit with the DC team got him started. Can't wait to see how he does next year, top 50 is possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
He might have received them but I don't recall him doing a great deal with them at ATP level - he was a bit fortunate to make R3 of the US Open thanks to a default but he won his first match fair and square. He also won a round at New Haven, beating Delic.

I'm less concerned about him getting wildcards at challenger level, that's to be expected and on those scores he tended to justify them.

I still think he's made it into the top 100 on merit.
Anyone who makes it to the top 100 has made it on merit. However, it obviously makes life much easier receiving Wild Cards week in and week out. Being American and the "next big thing" will make everything easier in the world of pro tennis. If he would have had to play the qualies in all those events where he didn't make the MD cut, you can't be sure that he would have won as many MD matches. There are other factors as well, making it so much tougher having to play qualies, for example an extra pressure, scheduling problems, expenses, etc. But Donald hasn't had to worry about any of that, knowing that there is always a next week where he will be able to get another chance. Also, his finances have obviously been sorted out a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
To top it off he only has 92 points to defend until July :eek: . He should be able to match those and climb up the rankings even further.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Does it matter if he didn't take advantage of the 13 wild cards?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts