Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Donald Young in 2011 has started to prove why he got so much hype as a junior and back up his junior results in seniors. Beating Baghdatis, Murray among others. Consistently doing well in challengers. And making his first ATP SF in Washington.

He's starting to play with more confidence and maturity and grow into his game. So when looking at his USO draw, you see an great opportunity for Donald to breakout on the big stage and stamp his place on tour. Plays a Q R1, Wawrinka/M. Gonzalez R2, and Chela/Matosevic/Tursunov/Darcis R3. Stan is in horrible form, Darcis just beat Tursunov yesterday, and none of the other players are threatening.

I think this is the best opportunity that Donald will have to make a run at a slam. So, do you all agree and envision an R4 run for Donald at USO 2011?

(if he does he'll likely have a rematch with Murray in R4)

·
Registered
29,419 Posts
Now he'll lose in R1 for sure. Nicely done.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
never will happen. Will always be lower than 70 ranked.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don thru to the 4th round :) Wawrinka losing to Golubev was pretty bad, so there's a possibility.

Don usually ruins these opportunities though.

·
Banned
3,761 Posts
Losing to Gregar Dimugtrov is beyond salvation.

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
:lol:

no..just no

Everyone knows what would have happened if he played an in form and interested murray
His run to the SF in washington was a fluke, he barely got past an injured mezler, its pretty safe to say he would have lost if melzer was healthy

whats more is that he's done nothing since then and did nothing before that to prove that he'll ever replicate that kind of run at a tournament again any time soon.

4th round is a definate no at the open. If he gets past the 1st round, and that alone is a big if because there are a number of potential qualifiers he'd lose to he's not getting past stan.

so in short i see a 2nd round at best

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mostly everyone here hates him. I don't expect an R4 but playing the US Open and having some wins under his belt, with this draw even the worst haters can't believe that this isn't a great opportunity for him.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
lolz The only break out he'll have is through puberty. Hopefully he hits it soon.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
I was thinking more like SF in New York this year.

No but I think he has a chance here. Even though Wawrinka is out of form it will be a touch match for him to win.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
he has done nothing seriously

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Young has pissed away so many opportunities that it is unreal. I think what he did when he was 15 is completely irrelevant at this point, as these guys have so many more weapons by now that Young simply cannot compete. Add in Young's horrible attitude and the fact that he can be psyched out so easily, and he can expect little more than a few weeks sprinkled in here and there throughout his career.

Fumus hit the nail right on the head too imo. If Young beats the qualifier, I'd still gladly take Stan on a bad day over Young.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Mostly everyone here hates him. I don't expect an R4 but playing the US Open and having some wins under his belt, with this draw even the worst haters can't believe that this isn't a great opportunity for him.
I don’t hate Donald by any means. I think he’s a nice kid, but has some real thinking errors no one has bothered to address with him — or if they have, he’s ignored the advice.

I’ve seen Donald have a lot of opportunities. I hope one day he takes an opportunity and builds on it. So far, I haven’t seen it. At most I can only see him being a top 50 player and he will have to do far more than he has to date to achieve that status. I would be thrilled to be wrong. He’s still a young guy, but things go quickly in this sport.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
donald young is too small, too weak, and too weaponless to compete at the highest echelon.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Might breakout in a rash trying.

But the mans a long way from beating Wawa and getting to the 2nd week methinks.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
What breakout? His WTA serve and moonball forehand is not slam winning material, sorry.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
I don’t hate Donald by any means. I think he’s a nice kid, but has some real thinking errors no one has bothered to address with him — or if they have, he’s ignored the advice.

I’ve seen Donald have a lot of opportunities. I hope one day he takes an opportunity and builds on it. So far, I haven’t seen it. At most I can only see him being a top 50 player and he will have to do far more than he has to date to achieve that status. I would be thrilled to be wrong. He’s still a young guy, but things go quickly in this sport.
fully agree with you

·
Registered
565 Posts
an out of form Wawrinka is better than Young. His run at washington was an utter fluke. He beat Sitak (Qualifer ranked 300+), Injuried Melzer, Russell, and Baghdatis who served atrociously (as usual).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts