Mens Tennis Forums banner

What will Thiem's record against the Big 3 in 2019 end up being?

• 8-2

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 7-2

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 7-3

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • 6-2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dominic Thiem currently has a staggering 6-2 H2H record against the Big 3 this year, I feel this deserves more attention. Has this ever been achieved before?

The matches so far:

W
Indian Wells F - def. Federer 3-6 6-3 7-5
Barcelona SF - def. Nadal 6-4 6-4
Madrid QF - def. Federer 3-6 7-6 6-4
French Open SF - def. Djokovic 6-2 3-6 7-5 5-7 7-5
ATP Finals RR - def. Federer 7-5 7-5
ATP Finals RR - def. Djokovic 6-7 6-3 7-6

L
Madrid SF - lt. Djokovic 6-7 6-7
French Open F - lt. Nadal 3-6 7-5 1-6 1-6

The wins are particularly impressive considering he has wins over Nadal on clay and Djokovic/Federer on hard courts. And he can still possibly improve this record to 8-2 depending on how the rest of the ATP finals plays out. Of course, he could also drop to 6-3 by losing to Nadal in the semis or Djokovic/Federer in the finals. Ending the year with a record of 6-2, 7-2, or 7-3 is also possible.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone else can do similarly well in the future. Seems players will have their chances as the Big 3 inevitably decline, perhaps someone like Tsitsipas who has already scored a win against each of them might be able to do it.

Your predictions/thoughts?

·
Your visions will happen
48,228 Posts
Yes this is why I see him as the next #1. Zverev, Med, Tsitsipas, all have flaws in their games. Thiem's only flaw is too much kamikaze at times and maybe little bit brick hands at the net. Everything else he has, serve, FH, BH, mental, stamina, everything.

Wins against Fedovic are convincing, the one win against Nadal is more like an outlier.
Not really. Thiem has beaten Nadal once on clay every year for a few years now. Just never at RG

Buenos Aires 16, Rome 17, Madrid 18, Barcelona 19. Thiem beats Nadal on clay every year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I personally think there will be one more win in the semis vs. Nadal! Then a loss to Djoker in the finals! So 7-3!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Thiem has a varied and eye-pleasing game. It is good to see him getting results also on hard courts. I think it is more than a hot streak; Thiem has turned things around and will be a constant threat also on hard courts from now on. I intended to vote for 8-2, even if that choice might contain some degree of wishful thinking. Unfortunately, the poll had closed after only being open a couple of hours. OP, if you start a poll you must give us a chance to vote, can you reopen it again?(y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wins against Fedovic are convincing, the one win against Nadal is more like an outlier.
Thiem won against Rafa on clay for the 3rd year in a row. Beating Rafa in the final in Catalonia counts more than the wins over Roger/Nole on HC?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Roger - check
Nole - check
Rafa - ?

Has anybody ever beaten all the Big 3 at one tournament? That would even top an 8:2 ending?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thiem won against Rafa on clay for the 3rd year in a row. Beating Rafa in the final in Catalonia counts more than the wins over Roger/Nole on HC?
Nadal loses to a random guy in one of the clay warm-ups out of fatigue, almost every year. Plus this year he was so depressed by the injuries that at one point, I believe at Barcelona, he considered taking a long break.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts