Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I don’t think Thiem is consistent enough to be no.1. He might be similar to Wawrinka which is having a few tournaments where he goes beast mode and beats everyone but he will probably have tournaments where he loses to some mug in the first or second round. Overall, someone more consistent like Medvedev or Tsitsipas bar the Wimbledon first round loss has a better chance at no.1

·
Registered
104 Posts
But he reminds me a bit of Wawrinka: if he is on, he can beat everyone, but on a bad day, he can lose to absolute mugs.
I think more consistant pushers like Medvedev, Tsitsipas or Zverev will have the better chance of getting the number 1 spot once the reign of the old guard is over.
Thiem has been a top 10 player for 3 straight years and is getting more consistent and complete, not less. When Wawrinka was his age...

PS: Tsitsipas is many thing... but a pusher?

·
Registered
104 Posts
As much as he wanted to win Kitzbühel - it hurt his overseas season.
Winning the DC in Serbia turned Nole into a mental beast for years to come (no ATP points for DC at that point). Don't underestimate the formative effect those home soil win can have.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Huge Dominic fan and I hope he can do it. He’s improved with his scheduling but still has a few things to figure out. And he seems to get sick a lot too. But he’s got the game to get there, clearly.

·
Your visions will happen
48,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Might be sooner rather than later. He's looked excellent in the exho season here

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thiem gave a good fight to Nadal at RG and to Novak at AO, he is getting better and better, so he is definitively the most deserving to be the next GS champion and #1.

·
Registered
16,413 Posts
Its him or Stef.

But Domi is the worlds best in 2020. His level has risen even further.

·
Your visions will happen
48,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

·
Banned
930 Posts
Its him or Stef.

But Domi is the worlds best in 2020. His level has risen even further.
Sorry but Djokovic is the guy on top.

Do not forget that Thiem nearly lost at the French last year. He blew his leads all the time. And Djokovic nearly won at the Tour Finals and did it in the Aussie Final, despite disappearing completely for two sets. Djokovic is the best in 2020, Dominic is somewhere there but not above Djokovic. That would be correct in my opinion.

·
Banned
930 Posts
I would gladly welcome Dominic Thiem as the next world number one. After Djokovic got his 400 weeks of course.

But I fear a scenario where Thiem's age or injury or low performance (maybe he is peaking already ?) comes along and destroys his chances of a long expended reign. And younger guys will profit as Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas or the younglings.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
Sorry but Djokovic is the guy on top.

Do not forget that Thiem nearly lost at the French last year. He blew his leads all the time. And Djokovic nearly won at the Tour Finals and did it in the Aussie Final, despite disappearing completely for two sets. Djokovic is the best in 2020, Dominic is somewhere there but not above Djokovic. That would be correct in my opinion.
there is no the best in 2020. There was only two months of tennis, that's nothing. Everything will be different when we resume. There may be a shocking champion even if all top players participate.

·
Banned
930 Posts
I expect them all to be a number one at some point.

Tsitsipas
Medvedev
Thiem
Zverev

Only injury would prevent that. That is my guess. The most important thing is that Kyrgios wont reach that height. I even prefer Tomic on No. 1 than that twisted mind. I know he is a human and has a good side but as long as it does not shut up I will despise his professional existence if you imagenary apply the term professional for a second on him. From a psychological stand point he gave us interesting insights but I prefer to do something else on a Sunday night. This thread is not even about him, so what the hell am I writing here. I guess he won over me. Goal reached, but not next time!

·
Banned
930 Posts
there is no the best in 2020. There was only two months of tennis, that's nothing. Everything will be different when we resume. There may be a shocking champion even if all top players participate.
There is a best for two month and his name is Djokovic. That was our 2020 so far. End of story.

I agree that it MIGHT be different. If it will be in terms of a complete different guy than Djokovic dominating, we have to wait. I could not predict it because I have no idea where Djokovic is at.
Yes, this could happen, especially during the US Open as seen in the past. But the French is not the French we knew. Completely different in autumn and under a roof. Djokovic approves.

·
Banned
11,640 Posts
There is a best for two month and his name is Djokovic. That was our 2020 so far. End of story.

I agree that it MIGHT be different. If it will be in terms of a complete different guy than Djokovic dominating, we have to wait. I could not predict it because I have no idea where Djokovic is at.
Yes, this could happen, especially during the US Open as seen in the past. But the French is not the French we knew. Completely different in autumn and under a roof. Djokovic approves.
Djokovic or Rafa cannot approve anything. They have never played clay match in Autumn in mainland Europe. [Rafa did play indoor clay once in Brazil in Feb 2013, but that's another continent) So nothing is given, it will be astonishingly new, lets just calm down and wait, shall we.

·
Banned
930 Posts
Djokovic or Rafa cannot approve anything. They have never played clay match in Autumn in mainland Europe. [Rafa did play indoor clay once in Brazil in Feb 2013, but that's another continent) So nothing is given, it will be astonishingly new, lets just calm down and wait, shall we.
I agree. The umbrella roof thing and (presumably) no intense sun stuff simply excites me. Of course these are only two variables of many.

Correction: I meant it in that way: Djokovic appreciates that.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts