Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Target has to be RG next season. He can beat anyone not called Nadal on the dirt and is getting closer in their duels.

Probably has to hope he stays other side and Djokovic can peak v Nadal and take him out.
Hope lol. Djokovic and Nadal don't hope, they just do. I suppose that tells you the difference in mindset.

Nadal won in 4 sets with 2 bagels in 2019, at this rate of improvement it'll take Thiem another 4 RGs to win the title.

·
Registered
956 Posts
But at least you could admit that his game has improved a lot this year (and i`ve seen most of his games the last few years) and also his mentality is much better now.
He's 26 - at this rate of improvement I wonder when he'll win slams. I look at this record this year. R2, F, R1 and R1 in the slams. Credit to him for getting to the final and beating Djokovic along the way. But sriously though, how do the other results indicate improvement.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It's no different to Federer hoping Djokovic falls early. He's won a few slams when that has happened in last few years.

Dom has no issue playing Nole at RB but Nadal on Chatrier is just a completely different sport in trying to beat him over 5 sets.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Target has to be RG next season. He can beat anyone not called Nadal on the dirt and is getting closer in their duels.

Probably has to hope he stays other side and Djokovic can peak v Nadal and take him out.
He has to be in the top 4 spots for RG.
Otherwise, he will surely draw nadal in QF next year considering his luck with draws.

·
justice for all
15,240 Posts
Typical knee jerk reaction. His ball bashing when on form can work well in fast court with a high bounce. On other courts is still a question mark for his form. I mean if a player defend Thiem's ball he will shank.
He's 26 and the best he has done outside of clay is 1 QF. He had a R1, R1 and R2 in the other 3 slams this year and people are talking about improvements?

Let's see what he does in Melbourne before we think it's time to join the bandwagon.
Salt, I can feel even more salt coming from the Djokotards.... I am loving it, keep being pressed, guys.

·
Registered
678 Posts
He's 26 - at this rate of improvement I wonder when he'll win slams. I look at this record this year. R2, F, R1 and R1 in the slams. Credit to him for getting to the final and beating Djokovic along the way. But sriously though, how do the other results indicate improvement.
It's well known that he was ill at both the AO and USO. He already showcased his potential at the US Open 2018 though and will surely be a competitor next year if he is healthy.

·
justice for all
15,240 Posts
Djokovic was ill in Paris a week ago, he came out with the title. Sam Querrey is a dangerous player, but he has no BH and moves like a truck in the snow.

The excuses are poor. Thiem is 26 and has done nothing of note yet all this hype around him.
Yeah, yeah, faker is always ill when he loses.... I agree your excuses are poor...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thiem is playing fantastic for sure. He's been the best player at the atp finals as of right now.

However I can't be a prisoner of the moment and say he will be the next new number for sure. Obviously he could. But weren't folks saying the same about Medvedev when he was on his six straight finals run? Or even Zverev when he won here last year? Or Tsitsipas earlier this year?

We'll just have to wait and see how long Thiem can keep this level up. I mean Thiem just lost 6-3, 6-2 to Dimitrov a few weeks ago. Was Dimitrov playing very good? Yes but it just goes to show because you are playing great at one tourney or two it doesn't mean you will automatically carry that form the whole season.

So I'll just take a wait and see approach to which of the young guys get to number 1 first or win a slam first.

Having said that I'm not going to look that far ahead. Thiem certainly has a chance to win his biggest career title right here at this event. Let's see if he can cash in.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
No he won't, occasional peaking won't get the job done, and regular illnesses also. Crumbling aged 25 in the final two sets at RG against a creaking dinosaur fossil... just not good enough.

·
justice for all
15,240 Posts
As some here have already mentioned health might be an issue for Dominic in reaching the top spot. One needs to be consistent throughout the whole or majority of the year to get there. Dominic this year had some worrying viral issues that hampered his AO and USO campaigns. I hope he'll fix it and be fully healthy and fresh at least for all the slams.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
it is quite clear that you haven't followed Dominics career closely. Shallow statements without any substantial knowledge are the result when you only look at results without context
in your world, one can only be a fan of one of the Big3 and relish in their glory, and get off on debasing lesser players accomplishments.
but for real tennis fans the sport is more than gloryhunting, and we appreciate that professional tennis is more than 3 players and their race for the record books.
Dominic is and will never be in the same league as the Big3 in terms of accomplishment, but he is still quite young and developing, and with a formidable h2h record against the best players in the game, the future looks very bright for him

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
I've been a fan of Domi's for about five years--when the "next gen" was him, AZ and Kyrgios I was desperately hoping he would be the one to come through.
He has improved enormously this year, thanks to Massou, I figure.

Good pick for next #1, unless Djok and Nadal trade off again--but weren't we thinking this about med just two months ago?

So whether he can hold this level is a question. Also, injuries! They change everything--at least for a period--so you just don't know. Hitting as hard as Domi hits it seems he has to be headed for them. But maybe not.

·
Registered
956 Posts
it is quite clear that you haven't followed Dominics career closely.
but for real tennis fans the sport
but he is still quite young and developing,
I don't follow anyone that closely because I'm a working man - I wish I had time to follow everyone but I don't. So I use facts and available data.

Do you deny than R2, R1, and R1 for a player of his reputation and ability is appalling?

Oh so if you make statements which others don't like they're not real fans? I

Thiem is not young, he's middle aged in tennis terms. Most of his improving has been done, at this stage of his career he should be fine tuning elements.

·
justice for all
15,240 Posts
it is quite clear that you haven't followed Dominics career closely. Shallow statements without any substantial knowledge are the result when you only look at results without context
in your world, one can only be a fan of one of the Big3 and relish in their glory, and get off on debasing lesser players accomplishments.
but for real tennis fans the sport is more than gloryhunting, and we appreciate that professional tennis is more than 3 players and their race for the record books.
Dominic is and will never be in the same league as the Big3 in terms of accomplishment, but he is still quite young and developing, and with a formidable h2h record against the best players in the game, the future looks very bright for him
Great post.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't follow anyone that closely because I'm a working man - I wish I had time to follow everyone but I don't. So I use facts and available data.

Do you deny than R2, R1, and R1 for a player of his reputation and ability is appalling?

Thiem is not young, he's middle aged in tennis terms. Most of his improving has been done, at this stage of his career he should be fine tuning elements.
At the age 25, one year younger than Thiem is now, Stan Wawrinka just reached his first GS quarterfinal. 3 years later, he reached his first SF, and the year after he won his first Slam. Following your approach and just looking at numbers without context, you would have come to the conclusion that he is a terrible player without any prospect.

·
justice for all
15,240 Posts
At the age 25, one year younger than Thiem is now, Stan Wawrinka just reached his first GS quarterfinal. 3 years later, he reached his first SF, and the year after he won his first Slam. Following your approach and just looking at numbers without context, you would have come to the conclusion that he is a terrible player without any prospect.
Stan set a new standard for players to win their first slam after 25. Let's hope he was not one of a kind. He wasn't. I believe more will follow this pattern. Players mature later nowadays. Dominic is next.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Dominic is in my top 3 favourite players and I wish him to reach the number one spot at some point as Thomas Muster did. But I don't really think to it, as the priority in 2020 would be to win a first Masters 1000 on clay and a first GS. And as he improved so much on HC, the AO or the US Open are not impossible targets anymore.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts

Shame that you're so busy you can't even use context.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts