Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
48,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Thiem play this week I am getting the feeling I am seeing a future World #1. Previously I thought he can play his best level only on the clay but these last two wins I am seeing something different. He is really peaking right now. I thought he played fantastic tennis in Vienna but I also knew that is his home event and we will see what's going on elsewhere. Well, we are seeing what's going on.

I see Thiem making #1 provided of course he stays healthy. I see him reaching it before Medvedev and Tsitsipas and Zverev and whoever else. And he deserves it. Has been playing a top 10 or better level for several years in a row now and improving every year outside of the clay. For sure he wins a couple RG after Rafa is done, could be as early as 2020.

Whenever the top guys are finished being #1, Thiem will be the first to reach it afterwards.

·
The special one
14,287 Posts
The improvements he's made on HC this year has been remarkable. He's already 2nd or 3rd best player on clay and I would now say top 5 on HC now as well.

Grass he struggles with because of the low bounce, but there's so few tournaments on grass anyway, plus who's to say he can't improve on grass as well.

Also I'd rather not see him play any clay tournaments after Wimbledon, I think his poor North America HC swing partly had something to do with that.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
these were my thoughts exactly watching the Djoko match, he made so many improvements in his game this year, with a bit of fortune he should get at least one major next year and compete for #1. Why why oh why didn't he hire Massu 3 years ago? i guess the fatherly bond with Bresnik was too strong.. well better late than never.

list of improvements since Massu:

• shorter backswing
  • court position closer to baseline (enabled by shorter backswing)
  • flatter backhand
  • better return and return position
  • coming to the net more often incl s&v
  • mental: he is 13:1 in deciding sets since Indian Wells, often after losing the first set
i think he is finally the player he should have been all along (there can still be some improvements ofc), and he should be a contender already at AO.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
His performance on a surface that does not suit him is impressive. But he reminds me a bit of Wawrinka: if he is on, he can beat everyone, but on a bad day, he can lose to absolute mugs.

I think more consistant pushers like Medvedev, Tsitsipas or Zverev will have the better chance of getting the number 1 spot once the reign of the old guard is over.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Whilst he’s clearly improved massively under Massu and is a legitimate contender for all hard court and, obviously, clay court events. I still think he has too many random losses in him.

Dimitrov in Paris for example. He can often barely find the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
justice for all
14,475 Posts
It's definitely possible next year by the time USO is around. If he does well at the AO (say QF at least) defends his points at Sunshine Double, has a good clay season ideally winning a masters and RG and then loads of points to gain in WM - USO period.

It's the ultimate task but I believe it's possible. With the improvements already made in his game if he adds to it a bit better shot selection Dominic might make it.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Whilst he’s clearly improved massively under Massu and is a legitimate contender for all hard court and, obviously, clay court events. I still think he has too many random losses in him.

Nothing random about that loss. It came right after he had won the title in Vienna. So it was expected his level and motivation won't be very high plus Dimitrov isn't some scrub you can just beat on a bad day.

Overall great improvement by Thiem. The main thing is now he believes he can beat the best out there. A few years ago he would play well, but come just short.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

he basically said after Vienna that he will not focus on Paris, feeling tired.. (he played a lot of long 3setters in Vienna)
after US Open when he made most of his adjustments, he only lost to Berrettini (very close match) and Dimitrov (tired). 15:2 w/l on HC, 4:0 against top 10.
random losses at USO and AO could be explained with health issues, but i don't want to make excuses. i think he is on a great trajectory

·
Premium Member
8,957 Posts
Possible, he would've been closer in the race and denied Nadal a joke US Open title if he was healthy this year.

Reactions: SetPointDown

·
Registered
135 Posts
The improvements Thiem`s made since being with Massu are impressive. It´s been three years ago i first mentioned that i don`t think Bresnik can further his level of play and that a coaching change would be good for Dominik.

But to be the next No.1 - everything has to fall in place - especially he has to stay healthy a whole season - which wasn`t the case the last few years.
Also i think the planning of the tounaments has to get better. As much as he wanted to win Kitzbühel - it hurt his overseas season.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
I hope with those adjustments he made for hard courts he remains as strong (if not stronger) on clay which is not a certainty.

I feel the serve could still be improved significantly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's between him and Medvedev, I think. He has improved considerably on hard and has been by far the second-best clay-courter since 2017. He still lacks variety (if he learned how to volley he would have won yesterday's match against Djokovic much more easily), but his game is surely the most exciting to watch after Nadal's these days.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Tough to say anything, of course he's capeable of doing it, but it will be tough considering that also Murray is returning and I think will be a top 10 player at least. Delpo can give his last try too.
Next year, tour looks to be extremely good, I think his biggest chances will be post-Olympics.

It's between him and Medvedev, I think. He has improved considerably on hard and has been by far the second-best clay-courter since 2017. He still lacks variety (if he learned how to volley he would have won yesterday's match against Djokovic much more easily), but his game is surely the most exciting to watch after Nadal's these days.
Dominic knows how to volley, he was just extremely nervous in the 3rd set TB. He was volleying and smashing nicely before it, I remember a few successful s&vs.
He doesn't lack variety, he knows how to play dropshots: (he was exposing Nadal by them in Barcelona), lobs (he made a good one against Fed here), slices (they were bothering Djoko, when he tried to attack Domi's BH).
He just still needs to improve playing under the pressure, but the matches like yesterday will give him a lot of experience.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
He served 141 mph, his fh is huge, his bh also huge. His only ds is his volley but he has improved a lot. VS nd Team has it in his racquet, to be a passive wallovic isn't good enough these days.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Typical knee jerk reaction. His ball bashing when on form can work well in fast court with a high bounce. On other courts is still a question mark for his form. I mean if a player defend Thiem's ball he will shank.

·
Registered
956 Posts
He's 26 and the best he has done outside of clay is 1 QF. He had a R1, R1 and R2 in the other 3 slams this year and people are talking about improvements?

Let's see what he does in Melbourne before we think it's time to join the bandwagon.

·
Registered
135 Posts
He was ill at AO and USO - I think you know that!
In Wimbledon he played a first Round vs. Sam Querrey who had his one best tournament of the year, reaching the QF.

·
Registered
956 Posts
He was ill at AO and USO - I think you know that!
In Wimbledon he played a first Round vs. Sam Querrey who had his one best tournament of the year, reaching the QF.
Djokovic was ill in Paris a week ago, he came out with the title. Sam Querrey is a dangerous player, but he has no BH and moves like a truck in the snow.

The excuses are poor. Thiem is 26 and has done nothing of note yet all this hype around him.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So if being TopTen for multiple consecutive years, playing the ATP Finals 4 years in a row winning 5 titles this year..etc. is nothing of note for you - then yeah!
Is he the GOAT - of course not, will he win multiple GS - maybe not!
But at least you could admit that his game has improved a lot this year (and i`ve seen most of his games the last few years) and also his mentality is much better now.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Target has to be RG next season. He can beat anyone not called Nadal on the dirt and is getting closer in their duels.

Probably has to hope he stays other side and Djokovic can peak v Nadal and take him out.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts