Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Dolgo reach the top 10 in 2012?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dolgo started the new year with a win (7-6(3), 6-2 against Falla in the first round of the Brisbane International)...

His coach sees big future for Dolgopolov... (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e-for-dolgopolov/story-e6frg7mf-1226230287961)

Dolgopolov on Twitter:
Arrived in Brisbane! Last week and new season starts.. Ready and fired up!))

What do you think about the new season for Dolgo?

Edited:
Dolgo’s ranking points in 2011

January – 425 (20 (Brisbane) + 45 (Sydney) + 360 (AO))
February – 330 (150 (Costa Do Sauipe) + 0 (Buenos Aires) +180 (Acapulco))
March – 135 (45 (Indian Wells) + 90 (Miami))
April - 10 (10 (Monte Carlo) + 0 (Barcelona))
May - 200 (10 (Madrid) + 10 (Rome) + 90 (Nice) + 90 (RG))
June - 30 (20 (Halle) + 0 (Eastbourne) + 10 (W))
July - 250 (0 (Hamburg) + 250 (Umag))
August - 100 (45 (Montreal) + 10 (Cincinnati) + 45 (Winston-Salem))
September - 270 (180 (USO) + 90 (Metz))
October - 180 (0 (Beijing) + 180 (Shanghai) + 0 (Moscow) + 0 (StPetersburg))
November - 90 (0 (Valencia) + 90 (Paris))

He had 13 lost openers. Even he will reduce the number of tournaments in 2012, he has the large reserves for growth in ranking...

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Re: Dolgopolov in 2012

Yeah, he's going forward. 8th is a target methinks.

·
Registered
17,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Reader said the plan this year is to reduce tournament play and focus on preparing for the majors.
The question is "Will this new strategy bring sufficient ranking points?"

·
Registered
23,623 Posts

dolgo top 6 imo

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

Reader said the plan this year is to reduce tournament play and focus on preparing for the majors.
The question is "Will this new strategy bring sufficient ranking points?"
Can't hurt, since Dolgo seems to nearly die everytime he steps on a plane.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

Blood issues will continue.... poor guy :(

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

I really have my fingers crossed for Dolgo to do well this year. Top 10 would be amazing but honestly don't know what to expect.

At the beginning on 2011, he was looking like a top 10 player. He had amazing movement and could hurt you from both sides, but towards the end of the year the game really declined. He completely abandoned the backhand drive and an already poor serve percentage got even worse. If he is so lacking and inconsistent in these two key shots then he will have trouble moving up the rankings.

Obviously a lot has been made of the blood disease that he has, so Readers scheduling strategy could be a good one. Hopefully the rest will give Dolgo the energy to go for shots and be an aggressive player instead of trying to junkball the opponents with slices as he did at the end of the year.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I wanna him reaching Top 10, but if I have to say what I think is that his 2012 won't be better than his 2011

·
Registered
2,443 Posts

I think if Reader can keep supplying enough good bud for them both to smoke, he could make top 10.

If Reader starts "bogarting", then Dolgo will drop out of the top 100 due to disinterest.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

I think if Reader can keep supplying enough good bud for them both to smoke, he could make top 10.

If Reader starts "bogarting", then Dolgo will drop out of the top 100 due to disinterest.

:lol: Great theory.

He has more than a decent chance at the top 10 if he ups his concentration and learns not to fold in adverse conditions. I hope he does.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

the only thing stopping DOlgopolov is himself and bad scheduling, the talent is there

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

on a sidenote, anyone who is near him in the 2012 Australian Open draw will likely be very nervous.

I think Alex can trouble and beat any player out there on a good day maybe besides Federer

·
Banned
18,509 Posts

Top 10 easy.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

on a sidenote, anyone who is near him in the 2012 Australian Open draw will likely be very nervous.

I think Alex can trouble and beat any player out there on a good day maybe besides Federer
do you think he can beat Novak or Rafa and Andy but not Fed? Why?

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

do you think he can beat Novak or Rafa and Andy but not Fed? Why?
I think that Dolgopolov's game can get Novak or Rafael off of their grooves, Alex did a bit so with Djokovic at the US Open and Nadal can be shaken on some days esspecially if his serve is off.

Roger is so consistant and I think Dolgopolov can't break his serve is why. Federer I doubt would be a good matchup for Dolgopolov, maybe more a feeling

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

I think that Dolgopolov's game can get Novak or Rafael off of their grooves, Alex did a bit so with Djokovic at the US Open and Nadal can be shaken on some days esspecially if his serve is off.

Roger is so consistant and I think Dolgopolov can't break his serve is why. Federer I doubt would be a good matchup for Dolgopolov, maybe more a feeling
yeah I guess you are right

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

yeah I guess you are right
he's a weird player, Dolgopolov's serve is so very hard to read and his all court game very unorthodox

·
Registered
2,603 Posts

Dolgopolov already showed what he can do against Djokovic at the USO. I know should haves count for nothing, but he should have won that first set and it had to have shown him that if he improves his endurance and mentality he has the game and guile to hang with Djokovic on the big stage.

Federer tends to welcome a tricky player more than the other two, just look at his matches against Santoro, though Santoro was less dangerous and powerful.

I could see Nadal grinding an inspired Dolgopolov down in best of 5 at this stage though I don't know about a few years from now when he's older and Xandr is peaking. Unless he's got issues.

A Murray Dolgopolov match at the AO would be an entertaining junkfest. I'd like to see Dolgopolov against any of the 4 -- but late in the draw.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts