Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great win for french.

Wawrinka was very weak on return although Moutet had ZERO aces (Wawrinka had 10 aces).

I think it's not very hard to beat Wawrinka if he give to Top 90 opponent 12 breakpoints.

·
Your visions will happen
48,517 Posts
Well Moutet has a funky game, enough to defeat 250-wrinka, sure

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sadly Wawa is in decline. He can still beat a top player on a good day, but overall he doesnt have the consistency to go to for the big titles. Heck, he cant even win a MM tournament with a weak field like this one.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,535 Posts
Well Moutet has a funky game, enough to defeat 250-wrinka, sure
I think Wawrinka also had to play the QF Bedene match the same day. So two matches, not easy.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sadly Wawa is in decline. He can still beat a top player on a good day, but overall he doesnt have the consistency to go to for the big titles. Heck, he cant even win a MM tournament with a weak field like this one.
Decline??? He is Top 15 and fact he was in Top 5 mean it was just case...

·
Your visions will happen
48,517 Posts
I think Wawrinka also had to play the QF Bedene match the same day. So two matches, not easy.
This is right. Moutet also def. Verdasco 6-4 in the 3rd earlier in the day so Moutet rising for sure. #71 ATP now with 20y9m

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Impressive week for Moutet! Rublev is big favourite to win it all though.

·
Registered
16,166 Posts
Great match by Moutet.

Nothing 250Stan about it.

Moutet just took it.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Impressive week for Moutet! Rublev is big favourite to win it all though.
Yeah if you call beating Popyrin, Sandgren , Raonic , Verdasco , Wawrinka for Chanllenger player

I'd say Hell Yeah !

·
Your visions will happen
48,517 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well, Moutet, when motivated, is a hell of a player. I created a thread about him and his attitude over an year ago just because I was sure he could do THIS. Yea, Wawrinka kinda lost his energy in the 3rd, but the way Moutet played was the reason for it, don't get it twisted.

·
Banned
9,669 Posts
very happy for moutet. i said it before he has such a a pleasing game. ho looked dead tired after the match today though so im not sure how much he will have left for a final
. but this is a great start to the season for him . hopefully he will really establish himself this year.

he's taken down some really good players on his way through the draw too. iyts not like it fell apart. i he didnt look so tired i'd give him a shoit against rublev but he's gone through qualies and now went through 2 3 setters today

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Must say i'm seriously impressed by Moutet, beating Verdasco and Wawrinka (who both seemed in decent form) with a wta serve is a great achievement.

·
23,473 Posts
Didn't see the match but reading the commentary in the ATP Tour app (which needs to be optimized as it keeps crashing all the time), both seem to be steadfast on serve. Moutet just blinked middle of the 1st Set, but what's worse is that Stan had a 4-game loss since 5-5 in the 2nd Set, IMO a DF to be 0-30 there was the pivot point. Moutet also had a very good 1st serve % in the 3rd Set too with no BP that Set. Stan said Moutet was just more aggressive, which is fascinating as we know aggressive Stan is the best Stan.

He did well against Bedene with the typical stats you would expect from him so no need to say Stan is doomed. Still, the issue of him having losses against lesser ranked players in surprising manner still persists. First match against Moutet too. AO next but man it would've been great if he kickstart his season with a title like in Chennai.

EDIT: He also had to play the match the same day he played a QF, and unlike both young finalists in Rublev and Moutet who seemingly got better as the day went on with their own double duty, maybe his current body isn't conducive to quick recovery, making him more susceptible to losing these tight matches -- just a factor to keep in mind.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Good match by Moutet. Haven’t seen much of him but he’s had a hell of a week. Hopefully he wins and beats rublev cause rublev is annoying as fuck and doesn’t deserve this title.

·
Registered
9,244 Posts
Nonslamrinka goating for a set and a half and then vanishes... Only 300th time in the past year. :sleep:
I'll give him a pass this time. Afterall he had to play two matches on those old battered knees within a couple hours. Outside of his low 1st serve %, which still hangs in low 50s, and atrocious return, his form is almost as good as ever.
Of course, full credit Moutet, who was redlining. Really took it to Stan in the second half of the match. What a colorful character. I can't decide whether I like him or dislike him. A little bit of both, I guess. Was rooting for him today. :cautious:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts