Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
_._._._._._
72,524 Posts
Was focusing more on Rafa's match :lol: but seemed patchy, great in places but too many errors.

Good week for both players though :yeah:

Nice job Muzza :rocker2:

Gasquet can only dream of wins like this, he'd have folded after the 2nd set :cool:

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Was focusing more on Rafa's match :lol: but seemed patchy, great in places but too many errors.

Good week for both players though :yeah:

Nice job Muzza :rocker2:

Gasquet can only dream of wins like this, he'd have folded after the 2nd set :cool:
Agreed.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Re: Murray def. Warinka 6-4, 4-6, 6-2

boo.

i hate matches where the tactician beats the guy who plays tennis the way it's supposed to be. murray's too boring for me, just like hewitt.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
This may be his season... Year of the M, so to speak

·
Registered
14,747 Posts
Jonathan - you need to add another MTF rule to your list:

1. Any thread discussing the actual, imagined or prospective form of Andrew Murray must also mention Richard Gasquet at LEAST once. Unfavorably, of course.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Great start of the year for Andy - I don't think anyone will want to run into him at the AO. When is the cut-off for the ranking- the higher he is the better for the other high ranked players most likely. Also good tournament for Stan.

:lol: Cheryl- I like your rule.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
That was hard work - and I was just watching.

Gruelling match - Stani was tenacious right until the end when Murray played 4 blinders to break at love, secure the double break and reach 5-2. I wasn't able to relax until then...

Well done to Andy Murray for a perfect start to 2008.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
god andy's so passive, i find him painful to watch. i was rooting for wawrinka cus at least he was going for it a bit. if andy plays like that in slams he will never win one or make a final, as he cant sustain playing that much defensive tennis for 6 straight 5 set matches. hes british and i want to like him but just cant im affraid.

wawrinkas looking sexier now his acnes cleared up abit.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Great start of the year for Andy - I don't think anyone will want to run into him at the AO. When is the cut-off for the ranking- the higher he is the better for the other high ranked players most likely. Also good tournament for Stan.

:lol: Cheryl- I like your rule.
The rankings on Monday determine the seedings. Andy will be in the 9-12 group of seeds, so he won't be meeting seeds 1-4 before the quarter finals.

·
Registered
23,711 Posts
expected title by Murray :yeah:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Okay, a rare Komodo comment on this match and Andy Murray....

In my opinion, Andy Murray is a fantastic player! He has it all; he can serve, he has incredible hands, incredible footwork and defensive skills and he has great groundstrokes on both sides.

He also possesses a very good tennis mind and follows up good forehands at the net almost everytime which makes him capitalize of those very efficiently.

But, I think the way he plays is going to cause problems regarding his possibilities to play on the highest level for many years without injuries.
His whole strategy is based on his defense and court coverage, he just returns everything and waits for the error; and those come because he does it so great and always has several options which he can pull off technically.

The question is if his tennis can last through a complete Grand Slam. I.e. last physically through a GS (remember how he broke down against Nadal last AO?).
Not that he can't change it, speed it up, a bit, but that will always be combined with more errors and in consequence the balance of a match can change very quickly.

On the other hand, Nadal has shown that you can actually play very succesful defensive tennis, but then again he is a unpredecented physical freak & has to deal with a lot of (so far minor) injuries already.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wawrinka was the more convincing player for me when it came to outright dictating points, occassionally making Murray run side-to-side at will with that robust forehand of his. But he could make little of the momentum he had going from the second into the third, and as in previous important matches (e.g. v. Chela at the USO) he wasn't nearly level-headed enough to do anything meaningful when it really came down to the wire.

Murray has made impressive work of a testing draw this week, dispatching all doubt over his choice of direction in the coaching department. Problems over serve percentage and spells of passivity endure, however.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts