Registered
23,711 Posts
:sad: :confused:

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im sure it sounded better in your head
LOL, I mean that everyone said on the debate about the changes from 2009 (that is more points for ATP tournements comparing to challengers than today) that the changes are bad and will cause problems.

I think that the changes are very good and Nishikori example proves it.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
If you are referring to Nishikori, I'm sure he will climb the rankings enough to gain automatic entry to the remaining slams this year.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
If Nishikori continues to win matches and improve his game, then he will be inside the Top 100 by May and earn direct entry into Slams. If he doesn't, then perhaps he was just a fluke who won a MM tournament in the US. Personally, I think it will be the first and not the second.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
If Nishikori continues to win matches and improve his game, then he will be inside the Top 100 by May and earn direct entry into Slams. If he doesn't, then perhaps he was just a fluke who won a MM tournament in the US. Personally, I think it will be the first and not the second.
Watching him play today and yesterday, I doubt he's fluke.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you think that the ones the play a lot of tournements should be ranked inside the top 100 and not the best ones. Nice.
And he need to be inside the top 100 (or a little bit less) until the end of March to be in the Rolland Garros (6 weeks before)

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
So you think that the ones the play a lot of tournements should be ranked inside the top 100 and not the best ones. Nice.
And he need to be inside the top 100 (or a little bit less) until the end of March to be in the Rolland Garros (6 weeks before)
I think the ones who win matches and earn points to attain a top 100 ranking should get direct entry into the Slams, as per the Rules of the ATP. It doesn't matter how many tournaments they play, only 18 are counted. The current points system rewards consistency (and playing well in the big events). If Nishikori stays consistent, he will be rewarded for it. You sound like you are afraid he won't be able to do that.

Yes, I know entries are due 6 weeks before, but in the case of RG that is in April (the 14th I think), not March. (I know I said May, I was thinking of Wimbledon for some reason).

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the ones who win matches and earn points to attain a top 100 ranking should get direct entry into the Slams, as per the Rules of the ATP. It doesn't matter how many tournaments they play, only 18 are counted. The current points system rewards consistency (and playing well in the big events). If Nishikori stays consistent, he will be rewarded for it. You sound like you are afraid he won't be able to do that.

Yes, I know entries are due 6 weeks before, but in the case of RG that is in April (the 14th I think), not March. (I know I said May, I was thinking of Wimbledon for some reason).
I think the rankings are based on consistency too much.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
Okay.

What should they be based on? Hairstyle? Clothes? Number of autographs signed in a week? Hype?

Darn that Federer, he shouldn't be number one, Nishikori should be (because YOU said he's the best). Steve Darcis should be number two, right?

I agree with Lee and Nathalia, he's not a fluke. He should do just fine and then we can all look back at this thread for the goofy break that it provided.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
:wavey: :wavey: ATP rankings do NOT favour consistency a lot.

:wavey: Most players are ranked where they are because of a FEW big results (WIN/F/SF etc). Just go study the "Points breakdown" for different players on the ATP site.

If you consistently lose in the second round your ranking will be poor!

Nishikori geta a LOT of points for his win, he almost has Grand Slam entry already, just needs to add a few more points.

So the point made by the original poster is nonsensical.

However the I think the 2009 scoring system has a lot of drawbacks especially elitism and greatly reducing the opportunities for lower ranked players and clay courters to attain a decent ranking.

BTW. I think Delray Beach is regarded as a glorified challenger in the 2009 system, not a high-points ATP tourney.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts