Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is the second most prestigious slam in recent years. At least it should be.

The atmosphere at the US Open and French Open is decidedly dead in comparison, very archaic feel to it, particularly the FO.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Not pre-2000, but now all slams have equal importance. Some may be harder to win (RG), some may be more elitist (WB, because of the British class system), some may be more unpredictable (USO), but all slams are equally significant now.

I see what you are trying to do. You are trying to get back at that loser troll @INFJ , but as they say "you can't beat a fool. First, he will bring you down to his level, and then best you with his experience". Unless you are his long lost twin brother, don't further destroy your credibility by such posts.

Let's hope Rafa wins, if not, it's not the end of the world.

·
Premium Member
8,529 Posts
it has no prestige or tradition, because Rafa has won it just once?

·
Registered
738 Posts
No, but it doesn't have an obnoxious crowd of wannabe elites like the others ...so that makes up for it

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
It has the most important thing.

Best of 5 sets and 7 matches.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I think it's still the least prestigious Slam. Before 1988, it was just a Slam by name, and it has gotten better each year.

The Australian Open will always have the handicap of being very early in the season. There's no momentum being built up as with the French and US Open, with several Masters tournaments held before on the same surface.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
All the majors are historically important and the core tournaments of the game, the idea that any major is currently behind any other in terms of prestige is largely erroneous, only Wimbledon has a slight edge in prestige to this day.

Of course in the 70s and prior i would say Australia did have the least important slam but since it moved to Melbourne that is no longer the case. Wimbledon and the US were always highly prestigious as was the French since the Open era began but yeah Wimbledon was even more prestigious relatively speaking to the other slams the further you go back.

Reactions: Idemo and INFJ

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Easily my favourite slam in normal times.

Great matches from start to finish due to players being fresher than at other times and generally a good visual experience watching. Good scheduling aswell with players getting a good rest before the final which of course dosen't always happen in other ones.

Living in europe of course it's not great if there's good match or a favourite is playing mid afternoon so it's a 4-5am job (can remember waking up every 30 minutes for Federer-Sandgren score updates) but I also like waking up at half 8 for the SFs and Final rather than waiting half the day for it.

Cool slam although guess it will be a shell of itself like USO and FO have been so far in Jan 2021. I did see they were talking about the tournament just being open to local fans so perhaps that can mean the attendances can be relatively high.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,604 Posts
It is an interesting question. Certainly not as prestigious as the other three if you're talking about classic history. The tournament was held in late December for a number of years in the 1980s, and not surprisingly many people didn't show up, preferring to be at home during the holiday period. Also many perceived it not worth the travel to come down under given the physical distance, f.i. Borg. This is no longer a big issue with improved travel and lucrative prize money.

I am interested in how the AO became one of the big four slams. I believe it is partly due to geography (only one in Asia Pacific), plus some tennis tradition (they have produced some remarkable greats in the past) and funding capability.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
It was in danger of losing the slam status but Aussies saved it in the 1980s-90s by doing two things: moved the schedule from December to January + and moved the event to a new complex (from the old Kooyong where the courts were so bad that players like McEnroe complained that even the centre court was not flat and horizontal but in a sloped uneven ground

Reactions: Break point Dom.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am interested in how the AO became one of the big four slams. I believe it is partly due to geography (only one in Asia Pacific), plus some tennis tradition (they have produced some remarkable greats in the past) and funding capability.
From the information available on Wikipedia, this seems to have been largely a bureaucratic decision of the International Lawn Tennis Federation in 1923. So, the influence of individual delegates in the federation could have played a role.

Though started in 1905, the tournament was not designated as being a major championship until 1924, by the International Lawn Tennis Federation (ILTF) at a 1923 meeting.

The French Open even moved in one year from the status of a national tournament (for French club members only) to a Slam.

My guess is that at that time, nobody thought players would travel around the world to play all four Slams. These were considered regional tournaments.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
No, it's virtually an exhibition. The only two tennis tournaments with any real prestige are the Olympics (transcends mere tennis) and Wimbledon which is by stratospheres the biggest annual tennis event. The other tournaments are there just to make money and fill the year. Give me one Wimbledon over twenty slams at each of the other annual events and I'm a happy man.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
No, it's virtually an exhibition. The only two tennis tournaments with any real prestige are the Olympics (transcends mere tennis) and Wimbledon which is by stratospheres the biggest annual event. The other tournaments are there just to make money and fill the year. Give me one Wimbledon over twenty slams at each of the other annual events and I'm a happy man.
fixed it for you

1 - 20 of 36 Posts