Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there has been a lot of talk about a 5th slam. Ion Tiriac is certainly behind a 5th slam. he says he just wants to beat the asians to one since it is only a matter of time before they have one. nobody will be able to refuse the millions they will throw at the players.

are you in favor of another slam? season ending masters cup has been declining in popularity which is why they keep moving it around. it turns out that now they will give London a shot at hosting the masters cup in 2009. could that one be replaced with another slam?

thoughts? i would be in favor of indoor slam on green clay that is significantly faster than red clay. not likely to happen however.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
This one has been done to death.

No.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What makes you think that the status quo can be maintained forever with only 4 grand slams and some Master Series? What do you have against the Asians? Why can't the market in Asia be exploited for tennis? Typical Western bullshit.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
No.

·
124,507 Posts
had no idea. i am new here.

why do you say no anyway? are you against it?
I am against it.

Ok, I will give you this example. I can organise a tournament in my garden and call it a Grand Slam, but anyone with one functioning brain cell will know it's not a GS event.

I bumped a thread where Tiriac said Madrid should be the 5th Slam, the arguments are all in there.

·
124,507 Posts
What makes you think that the status quo can be maintained forever with only 4 grand slams and some Master Series? What do you have against the Asians? Why can't the market in Asia be exploited for tennis? Typical Western bullshit.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
whats wrong with that? 5th slam wouldnt hurt

> changes dont kill u <

i wanna hear some REALLY GOOD arguments against a 5th slam

·
124,507 Posts

> changes dont kill u <

To be different, lets jump off a 100m bridge without a parachute. That's good for a change.

Change what for in this case? I bet you are one of these people that thought Round Robin was a good idea.

Yes, just invent a GS event and whoever won the 5th one would be considered a lot less than the established 4. Some things can't be bought, no matter how much cash is thrown at it.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts
Yes, just invent a GS event and whoever won the 5th one would be considered a lot less than the established 4. Some things can't be bought, no matter how much cash is thrown at it.
some people say the AO is a micky mouse slam. as u see im from serbia and im proud that djokovic won it.

in 30-40 years the 5th slam would be equal even tradition wise.

·
Registered
23,624 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
there can be no good reason for not giving an Asian grand slam if those guys can afford it. The thing is, it would be bad if some tournament started off with being a grandslam. It would be nice if the tournament was held for quite a while and then grades itself into the Masters series for sometime and then becomes a Grand Slam.

Seriously, there must be a bidding process and its just sick to watch the same places get the Grand Slam everytime. PMK, some things can't be bought by money because its the bullshit we've been taught. The current structure of tennis tournaments is unfair to Asian players.

I don't want to listen about the number of top asian players in ATP, because it doesn't make sense to make that comparison with European counterparts without considering how many top tournaments are conducted in Asia. Just because tennis started off with Europe and Americas doesn't mean that it has to be the same way.

I hope there's a breakaway tennis league that encourages top Asian players and becomes more popular than ATP. Of course, nobody can play as well as Richard gasquet can, but that's not the point.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
there can be no good reason for not giving an Asian grand slam if those guys can afford it. The thing is, it would be bad if some tournament started off with being a grandslam. It would be nice if the tournament was held for quite a while and then grades itself into the Masters series for sometime and then becomes a Grand Slam.

Seriously, there must be a bidding process and its just sick to watch the same places get the Grand Slam everytime. PMK, some things can't be bought by money because its the bullshit we've been taught. The current structure of tennis tournaments is unfair to Asian players.

I don't want to listen about the number of top asian players in ATP, because it doesn't make sense to make that comparison with European counterparts without considering how many top tournaments are conducted in Asia. Just because tennis started off with Europe and Americas doesn't mean that it has to be the same way.

I hope there's a breakaway tennis league that encourages top Asian players and becomes more popular than ATP. Of course, nobody can play as well as Richard gasquet can, but that's not the point.
and where in Asia would you like to put it? What month would you put it in? Why do you want a 5th slam but not just an increase in the number of tournaments in Asia? Tennis needs a 5th slam like I need an aneurysm

·
124,507 Posts
some people say the AO is a micky mouse slam. as u see im from serbia and im proud that djokovic won it.

in 30-40 years the 5th slam would be equal even tradition wise.
Do you know how hard it was for the Aus Open to get parity with the other 3? It used to be the garbage Slam, when all the top Aussies retired and they couldn't get players there.

They turned it around, changed the surface and the timing of the event, but the event was saved when it was possibly going to be moved away.

No, it won't, you can't invent tradition. There is change for the better of the game, then there is change for cosmetic purposes.

·
124,507 Posts
If you organize this tournament in your garden would I have to qualify or could I get a WC?
Hehehe, I will let you know. I might have to put you up against Xristos.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Do you know how hard it was for the Aus Open to get parity with the other 3? It used to be the garbage Slam, when all the top Aussies retired and they couldn't get players there.

They turned it around, changed the surface and the timing of the event, but the event was saved when it was possibly going to be moved away.

No, it won't, you can't invent tradition. There is change for the better of the game, then there is change for cosmetic purposes.
and before my post gets buried for being the last on the previous page, why specifically a Grandslam and not a smaller tournament? Bring players there and then we'll see about even giving Masters status.

·
Banned
70,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

> changes dont kill u <

the only thing constant is change in life. like it or not, it is going to happen.

money talks and Asians have the dough.

·
124,507 Posts
You are talking out of your arse here that it's unfair to Asian players. When the Swedes were dominating tennis, they didn't bitch about not having a Grand Slam.

Look at what happens when you follow the bandwagon just for financial stake. Germany was the powerhouse and the engine of tennis in the 90s, had lots of big events there, heaps of TV money and look at it now. It has nothing.

The Asian players have to get better, let form their own league and not get any better because they will be isolated not playing against better opposition.

·
Registered
772 Posts
and where in Asia would you like to put it? What month would you put it in? Why do you want a 5th slam but not just an increase in the number of tournaments in Asia? Tennis needs a 5th slam like I need an aneurysm
I am not saying we should put it. Just if there was a need and a market to exploit, there shouldn't be a reason not to do so. Ideally I would start off by having more challengers and mm tournaments in Asia and slowly after around 15-20 years grade the most popular one into an Masters level tournament and then slowly build up momentum to stake a claim for a Grand Slam.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts