Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Players turning ''dead matches'' over due to tremendous clutcness which resulted into the loss of their future resources of mental toughness.

This happened to Djokovic after winning AO-13 R4 vs Wawrinka and to Nadal after winning US Open-13 final. Since those victories they were never the same players in terms of mental strength again. Now Nole is winning the matches mostly because his game is much more better and complete than the opponent's one.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's as if they have sold their soles to devil to win these matches even though I'm not much into christianity:spit:

In Murray's case the turning point could be the match vs Verdasco in Wimbledon-13 QF, although we see the second coming of Clayrray, so it's too soon to speak about Andy:shrug:

I can't judge about Federer who was never really clutch.

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
I'm not sure, Djokovic doesnt allow himself in that position anymore, since he's bageling everyone in the deciding set. Good point on Federer tho.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
So much BS. Djokovic clutched his way into the title in both AO finals in 2013 and 2015 + Wimbledon 2014. He could have lost all 3 of them.
Nadal clutched his way into his 9th RG last year, he was down a set and 2nd set was really close.

Pls go, just go.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure, Djokovic doesnt allow himself in that position anymore, since he's bageling everyone in the deciding set. Good point on Federer tho.
Remember Nole of Shanghai-12 who saved gazillions of mp vs Murray and was breaking Fed left and right in WTF-12 final? That version of Djokovic cared about losing sets, but the current Nole knows that he will win the match in any case, so he doesn't rush things and waits until his opponents will collapse by themselves, so Novak could easily finish them in deciding sets like he did vs Wawa and Murray at AO-15.

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So much BS. Djokovic clutched his way into the title in both AO finals in 2013 and 2015 + Wimbledon 2014. He could have lost all 3 of them.
Nadal clutched his way into his 9th RG last year, he was down a set and 2nd set was really close.

Pls go, just go.
Djokovic could easily have won Wimbledon-14 final in straights, but I quess he prefers to give some drama to audience:yeah:

·
External factor expert
4,173 Posts
Remember Nole of Shanghai-12 who saved gazillions of mp vs Murray and was breaking Fed left and right in WTF-12 final? That version of Djokovic cared about losing sets, but the current Nole knows that he will win the match in any case, so he doesn't rush things and waits until his opponents will collapse by themselves, so Novak could easily finish them in deciding sets like he did vs Wawa and Murray at AO-15.
This is exactly what I thought the other day. I dont know if its good or bad. I mean as long as you have confidence right? Look at prime Nadal, no matter how good you are without confidence you will drop out of top 5 in no time. To keep it short as long as Djokovic keeps winning I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
"Does such phenomena exist?" No.
I absolutely believe that athletes have the ability to peak - mentally. A now or never mindset.

But it doesn't mean that they're "emptying" themselves, or that there's a phenomenon of this kind at all.

On the other hand, we can't ignore how demanding it is to be an elite athlete and to play at the maximum all the time. One day you're playing the final of your life against the #1 of the world in front of thousands of people and millions of TV spectators. 8 days later you're playing against the #150 of the world and nobody cares and your GF is shopping in Paris while you're in Vladivostok, counting the dead bugs in your bathtub, and the sleeping pills in your hand.

·
Registered
21,106 Posts
while you're in Vladivostok, counting the dead bugs in your bathtub, and the sleeping pills in your hand.
What a dig to the Spanish top players, they won't take part in that tie, for sure.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
It's as if they have sold their soles to devil to win these matches even though I'm not much into christianity:spit:

In Murray's case the turning point could be the match vs Verdasco in Wimbledon-13 QF, although we see the second coming of Clayrray, so it's too soon to speak about Andy:shrug:

I can't judge about Federer who was never really clutch.
:facepalm: Prime Fed used to save break points like crazy with his serve. Even in Wimbledon 2014 Federer saved a match point with an ace. Federer used to be so damn clutch.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I do wonder in which thread you left your mental cleverness.

Reactions: Jam

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe it does exist

Soderling being the ONLY ONE player beating nadal at RG and where is he now ?

mono and unable to play tennis at pro level

coincidence ? i don't think so...

sometimes you have to pay the price

·
Registered
367 Posts
Huge mental effort under pressure can take a toll on a player. This is why we often see someone winning an epic just to lose next match easily. Kyrgios' DF on MP against Isner after beating Fed comes to mind.
Nevertheless, this should not have more than a week influence.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Huge mental effort under pressure can take a toll on a player. This is why we often see someone winning an epic just to lose next match easily. Kyrgios' DF on MP against Isner after beating Fed comes to mind.
Nevertheless, this should not have more than a week influence.

still influences Mugrin

·
Banned
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe it does exist

Soderling being the ONLY ONE player beating nadal at RG and where is he now ?

mono and unable to play tennis at pro level

coincidence ? i don't think so...

sometimes you have to pay the price
Not the best comparison because Soderling was the better player for almost the whole match. The world isn't spinning around Nadal's RG record:spit:

·
Premium Member
21,585 Posts
Players turning ''dead matches'' over due to tremendous clutcness which resulted into the loss of their future resources of mental toughness.

This happened to Djokovic after winning AO-13 R4 vs Wawrinka and to Nadal after winning US Open-13 final. Since those victories they were never the same players in terms of mental strength again. Now Nole is winning the matches mostly because his game is much more better and complete than the opponent's one.
Novak did well both in Wimbledon in AO, so he's fine or at least not any worse than then; Nadal struggled mostly because of physical issues and the fact he's not 21 anymore. Murray had back surgery and Federer is 34, the reasons are probably much more mundane than you imagine.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I already said in another thread that it was exactly this kind of match that had cost Nadal dearly - his win over Djokovic in Madrid 2009 semi. That was his last title for 2009 all the way until DC final, and after that he started taking long breaks from competition.
EDIT: Actually my bad, he didn't even win that title, lost to Federer in the final.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts