Votes: 84 85.7%
  • No.

Votes: 14 14.3%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my friend are having a discussion. He believes that having a good serve requires talent while I disagree. If you have a good serve, you have good technique. That is all.

Talent for me in tennis, is how you deal with your opponent's shots. How you retrieve, how you attack, how you manuever, how you place your shots.

Opinions?

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Me and my friend are having a discussion. He believes that having a good serve requires talent while I disagree. If you have a good serve, you have good technique. That is all.

Talent for me in tennis, is how you deal with your opponent's shots. How you retrieve, how you attack, how you manuever, how you place your shots.

Opinions?
Service speed to me is more about shoulder rotation than anything. There are minor technical tweaks and knee bend is also a very important component, but when it comes down to it, a quick arm equals a fast serve. I say this because, there are many examples of players without much launch into the ball who can still generate a lot of pace (Schalken and Vaidisova come to mind). On the flipside, there are quite a few players who visually have impeccable technique, and yet their serves are still very mediocre. Technique is secondary with a flat serve. Without good racquet head acceleration, the serve will be slow either way.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Basically, a serve is the only shot in the game that you can totally train. As it is only shot that you hitting of a static ball, no opponent's influence whatsoever, no time pressure, no nothing. No, any physically strong reasonably tall man with a decent coordination can be taught to serve on a very good level. Hitting forehands on a dead run and feathering dropvolleys off your shoelaces is, of course, a totally different matter.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Talent, technique and physical attributes.
That's an obvious point I failed to mention.

Taller players have a better angle to the court. The more you can hit downwards, the more pace you can generate. There aren't many guys over 6 foot 3-4 with slow serves.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
To serve well (and in pressure situations) requires talent yes, perhaps more so a lot of hard work and practice. (being tall wont hurt either)

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Yes it takes talent. But like somebody said, serve is the only shot you can train. If a player doesn't have great power, they can train and improve their serve to make it a weapon.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Service speed to me is more about shoulder rotation than anything. There are minor technical tweaks and knee bend is also a very important component, but when it comes down to it, a quick arm equals a fast serve. I say this because, there are many examples of players without much launch into the ball who can still generate a lot of pace (Schalken and Vaidisova come to mind). On the flipside, there are quite a few players who visually have impeccable technique, and yet their serves are still very mediocre. Technique is secondary with a flat serve. Without good racquet head acceleration, the serve will be slow either way.
Exactly, even if I could I couldn't expose my thoughts better than this :worship:

Reactions: VolandriFan

·
Registered
340 Posts
yes

·
Banned
7,774 Posts

Opinions?
Wow good to know. If I can get a serve coach to teach me good technique I can go out on tour and take everyone to a tiebreak and see what happens :retard:

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Hell no I've been dropping 140 mile an hour bombs since I was 9.
You too huh. :lol:

But yes, serving requires a talent. If not, then we all could do it. :shrug:

Reactions: Burrow

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

Opinions?
A good serve requires good technique as well as the intellect on how to use it effectively. For instance, being able to see that your opponent would have trouble if you serve out wide. You also need to be consistent with your first serve percentage. The higher it is, the more likely you will win. Technique plus a variety of other intangibles make a serve a weapon. My favorite example is Ivanesevic.

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Yes it takes talent. But like somebody said, serve is the only shot you can train. If a player doesn't have great power, they can train and improve their serve to make it a weapon.
Right, so you just said serve is the only shot you can train?

Hmmm, is it hell.

Players train each shot, their is pacific drills for each stroke so I don't see where you are coming from here.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts