Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has a 0-1 H2H record against Federer, but it doesn't count as he played Federer only once. Looking at only the records against players he played against three times or more, is there any player Sampras has a losing H2H record against? As far as I have researched on the Internet, I have found none.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I'm more surprised at how much Kraijicek has aged from the picture. He looks like an old man. Wonder what has become of him. Anyway, Sampras having a losing record against someone of the same or similar age is rather shocking. I never thought it was possible. Kudos to Kraijek, though I'm really shocked at how he has changed.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
7,316 Posts

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Samprasˋ backhand is about as weak as federer‘s from the baseline, but unlike federer none of Samprasˋ rivals looked out to exploit it. I stand by my statement that Sampras is the most overachieving, overrated player of the open era

·
28,788 Posts
Pete just lost so often (for a top player) that he only played two players more than 20 times. Djokovic and Nadal have played 7 players more than 20 times and Federer has played 9 players that often.

When a player like Sampras can lose to any weak player in the draw, it helps his career head to head even though it is a sign of a weaker player.

·
Registered
10 Posts
He has a 0-1 H2H record against Federer, but it doesn't count as he played Federer only once. Looking at only the records against players he played against three times or more, is there any player Sampras has a losing H2H record against? As far as I have researched on the Internet, I have found none.
Safin (3:4)
Hewitt (4:5)
Krajicek (4:6)
Mirnyi (1:2)
Bruguera (2:3)
Roddick (1:2)
Haarhuis (1:3)
Stich (4:5)
Rostagno (1:2)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Yeah he has several losing head-to-heads, but none that you could consider statistically significant. His worst record is against Krajicek, and he's only behind by two. If that's the worst, it's pretty darn good.

Samprasˋ backhand is about as weak as federer‘s from the baseline, but unlike federer none of Samprasˋ rivals looked out to exploit it.
I think Sampras' backhand is way weaker than Federer's. I think Federer actually has a pretty good and highly versatile backhand - it's only a liability in rare cases.
But as for Sampras, his backhand was truly bad, and is the main reason he was poor on clay. His opponents targeted it non-stop, to great success. The fact that Sampras achieved everything he did despite that backhand is a testament to how strong his other weapons were: obviously the serve, and the net skill, but above all, he had a great forehand. I think Sampras' forehand is very underrated - it might just be the best forehand ever. If you watch any old Sampras match you can his opponents were scared to hit on the forehand side and avoided it at ever chance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Players with winning records over Sampras

Krajicek: 6-4
Hewitt: 5-4
Stich: 5-4
Safin: 4-3
Bruegura: 3-2
Haarhuis: 3-1
Roddick: 2-1
Mirnyi: 2-1
Rostagno: 2-1
Van Rensberg: 2-1
Penfors: 2-0
Wow, there are so many! Now I feel like an total idiot for starting this ignorant thread. Can I delete the whole thread? I don't even know who the hell Rostagno is. Have never heard of his name. The same about Van Resberg and Penfors. Did Smapras play these gusy when he was very young or something?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Wow, there are so many! Now I feel like an total idiot for starting this ignorant thread. Can I delete the whole thread? I don't even know who the hell Rostagno is. Have never heard of his name. The same about Van Resberg and Penfors. Did Smapras play these gusy when he was very young or something?
It's really not that long of a list. Federers number is about the same length, with 12 players. Which is excellent.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
It's really not that long of a list. Federers number is about the same length, with 12 players. Which is excellent.
Most of those are irrelevant since they came between 1998 and 2002. those then retired soon after and fed didn’t have a chance to correct them. The only ones that really hurt besides djokovic and nadal are zverev (3:4) and thiem (2:5)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Samprasˋ backhand is about as weak as federer‘s from the baseline, but unlike federer none of Samprasˋ rivals looked out to exploit it. I stand by my statement that Sampras is the most overachieving, overrated player of the open era
That's because Sampras wasn't a baseliner and wasn't dumb enough to hang back there to let anyone exploit it. He would either look to end points with his forehand or attack the net. The latter option wasn't afforded to Federer most of his career due to homogenized conditions and slowing of courts. Also, there's literally only been one player who's been able to exploit Fed's backhand consistently. It's held up fine against everyone else.

·
Registered
793 Posts
When a player like Sampras can lose to any weak player in the draw, it helps his career head to head even though it is a sign of a weaker player.
According to ATP, the career h2h of Sampras is 762 wins and 222 losses. It is a decent win-loss ratio for a top player, I guess, at least it is better than his contemporary rivals.

But how, exactly, do you mean that Sampras helped this particular statistic by losing against random mugs every now and then? If he could have turned around just a single loss against a weak player just to lose in the next round against someone better, the career h2h would still have shown one more win and the same number of losses, right?

Isn't it the more frequent losses of Sampras against weak players (particularly on clay) that is the main reason why players like big three have a far better career h2h than him?

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
He lost against Pernfors, who was French Open finalist in 1986, in 1988 and 1989. So no surprises at that time.
Against van Rensburg the losses came in 1989 and 1990 (first round of Wimbledon). While the first one wasn‘t so surprising, the second one certainly was.
The losses against Rostagno both were in 1991 (the second one again in Wimbledon). The best year of Rostagno‘s career (Top 15).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts