Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think? There are fewer fine grass competitors but a larger field of competitors on hard surfaces. Yet Nole is better on hard courts, and, arguably, even the faster surface at Queens, versus grass.

·
Registered
744 Posts
US Open, definitely. Despite having won 2 Wimbledons and only 1 US Open, it remains that he's a much better player on hard courts than on grass.

·
6,712 Posts
Probably Wimbledon, there aren't many good grass court players around anymore.
USO should be a stronger tournament for him than it has been, but for some reason has underperformed.
The surface is faster and suits many more players though, a big hitter and server goating can win it if they play their cards right.
I would assume Novak will be better prepared, and more focused than last year though.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
What do you all think? There are fewer fine grass competitors but a larger field of competitors on hard surfaces. Yet Nole is better on hard courts, and, arguably, even the faster surface at Queens, versus grass.

Wimb.'14 Djokovic' half
Djokovic, R16 Tsonga, QF Cilic, SF Murray/Dimitrov

USO'14 Djokovic' half
Djokovic, QF Murray, SF Wawrinka/Nishikori

If he gets the same title contenders for opponents as the last Wimb. and USO, then it's coin toss, but the winner will probably be Troicki if placed in Fedal's half at Wimb. or at USO instead of Cilic.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think Nole has gotten better psychologically. One indication for me was his smash success rate at the FO. He just got blown away in the final ala Soderling. He was never in control *to* choke.
He seemed "early defeated" to me, resignation came too soon.
And the "Soderling incident" was too random to establish a pattern.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He seemed "early defeated" to me, resignation came too soon.
And the "Soderling incident" was too random to establish a pattern.
I see what you mean but, well, he did win the first set. And you have to admit he truly got blown off the court in sets 2-3. Only perceivable choke was at 0-40 on Wawa's serve, however Stan redeemed himself with solid play. I just don't see this one as a choke. I think Nole's 8-8 slam record is deceptive. He will get another 3-5 IMO.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Grass era is at its weakest era, and rewards defensive grinders like Djokovic and Murray.

Meanwhile hard courts provide the most competition.

Grindervic definitely prefers Wimbledon over US Open these days.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Wimb.'14 Djokovic' half
Djokovic, R16 Tsonga, QF Cilic, SF Murray/Dimitrov

USO'14 Djokovic' half
Djokovic, QF Murray, SF Wawrinka/Nishikori

If he gets the same title contenders for opponents as the last Wimb. and USO, then it's coin toss, but the winner will probably be Troicki if placed in Fedal's half at Wimb. or at USO instead of Cilic.
It's pathetic how much you moan about draws and yet when I asked you to back it up by betting on what you claim will definitely be the draw at Wimbledon you chickened out. It shows you are nothing more than a troll. Djokovic didn't face a top 10 player until what the final? At Wimbledon?

At USO that was a Murray coming back from injury. The eventual winner was in Federer's half,not in Djokovic's...at RG the winner was in Fed's quarter. Enough with your BS trolling.

·
Registered
10,559 Posts
Why should we have a thread for discussing the chance of every player? Every other thread leads to discussing the same. :confused:

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
It's pathetic how much you moan about draws and yet when I asked you to back it up by betting on what you claim will definitely be the draw at Wimbledon you chickened out. It shows you are nothing more than a troll. Djokovic didn't face a top 10 player until what the final? At Wimbledon?

At USO that was a Murray coming back from injury. The eventual winner was in Federer's half,not in Djokovic's...at RG the winner was in Fed's quarter. Enough with your BS trolling.
The stronger and easier variants of the draw cannot be given before the seeds are exactly known, because there can be e.g. three strong players beside Nadal at 9-12, so only two of them can go to the stronger half, much easier the situation if there were two strong grass players and two not so good on grass.

Good thing is that Wawrinka has a great chance of being no.4 instead of Nishikori, so that there is no big difference whether one gets Murray or Wawrinka this year.

As for Nadal, I think he will again land in Federer's half.

Why?

Because since 2008. he is always on the other side of the draw from Djokovic at AO/USO/Wimb. but (usually) in the same quarter or half at RG as this year, 6/7 so far since 2007. when they were not seeded 1&2.

The real lopsiding factors this year will be players like Berdych & Raonic instead of Ferrer, Nishikori; then Cilic & Tsonga instead of Nadal; Monfils & Lopez instead of Goffin and Simon; also lower seeded players like Sock, Troicki, Tomic, Kyrgios, Isner etc. depending of course on their seeding positions.

So, let's wait till the week before Wimb. and see who's picked up the form, who is injured etc.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Wimbledon. Djokovic has a 1-4 US Open finals record for god sake. :spit:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts