Mens Tennis Forums banner

is Nadal the most mentally tough of all time?

• yes

Votes: 28 38.4%
  • no

Votes: 45 61.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all already know how strong mentally Nadal is in his career obviously, besides that particularly bad stretch against Djokovic specifically in 2011.
I think it is unfathomable how Nadal, even when he is playing poorly and getting bossed around the court, can scrape wins just by persistence and effort.
I mean look at that Madrid final- I was 100% certain Nadal would lose. as unfortunate as NIshikori's injury was, you could almost argue it was caused by the dogged persistence of Nadal trying to get balls in and keep his opponent moving and wondering if it really was going to keep being as 'easy' as it seemed
I just think Madrid is a perfect example of why Nadal has arguably the strongest mentality of any player ever to play. as long as he is healthy, it doesn't matter HOW bad he is losing, or how bad he is playing, he always keeps pushing and giving 100% and fighting

can you think of any other players in the Open Era who were as dogged as Nadal?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
YES, YES AND YES!!!!!!!!!

even when he can't find his 'a' or 'b' game or is downright playing at his worst or even physically injured, rafa can still outlast opponents through sheer mental and physical fortitude or at lest put in one hell of a valiant effort trying.. 'strongest of all time' is putting it mildly.. rafa never throws in the towel..

other than rafa, delpo has the potential to harness similar mental fortitude if not with the same consistency as rafa..

·
Banned
1,570 Posts
He is the mental giant. If body height would be a reflection of mind..rafa would be taller than isner and karlovic together.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
just proves nishikori was injured at the end of 2nd set that's all

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Rafa has great mental fortitude, but I saw nothing exceptional in Madrid that showcased it.
perhaps you missed him holding the winner's trophy?

i'm sure kei wishfully thought he'd sweep past rafa 2 and 2, which was entirely within his realm of physicalilty at the time.. but, alas, rafa had other ideas.. and the rest is, as they say, his4ory!

sheer mental/physical fortitude and all around 'hate-to-lose' attitude put that trophy in rafa's hands as he kept pushing nishiquitter further and further over the breaking point..

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Stupid thread judging the way the match finished. Poor trolling attempt

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
I'd take Sampras' mental toughness over Nadal's any day

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
We all already know how strong mentally Nadal is in his career obviously, besides that particularly bad stretch against Djokovic specifically in 2011.
I think it is unfathomable how Nadal, even when he is playing poorly and getting bossed around the court, can scrape wins just by persistence and effort.
I mean look at that Madrid final- I was 100% certain Nadal would lose. as unfortunate as NIshikori's injury was, you could almost argue it was caused by the dogged persistence of Nadal trying to get balls in and keep his opponent moving and wondering if it really was going to keep being as 'easy' as it seemed
I just think Madrid is a perfect example of why Nadal has arguably the strongest mentality of any player ever to play. as long as he is healthy, it doesn't matter HOW bad he is losing, or how bad he is playing, he always keeps pushing and giving 100% and fighting

can you think of any other players in the Open Era who were as dogged as Nadal?
No one hangs in there like Nadal but that match is a bad example. Most players would have beaten Kei after his back gave out that way. Better to accept that the better player lost that day.

"he always keeps pushing and giving 100% and fighting"

From the MTF Horse's mouth

:yeah:

·
Banned
1,570 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Not really sure how the Madrid final emphasizes it (IIRC he didn't break back until after Kei aggravated the leg injury?)

US Open 2013 final would be a better example (turning that 3rd set around when Djokovic had all the momentum), or of course the epic Wimbledon 2008 final (putting the unconverted championship points out of his mind going into the fifth, saving a BP at 4-4, and successfully serving it out, etc.)

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
Yes..specially on clay...
Splendid argument. It's due to mental toughness, just like Nadal's indoor record. You're really something, aren't you?

yeah, ole pete's mental toughness was just ironclad at roland garros.. when he stepped unto court central, his opponents just cowered in fear.. :facepalm:
And yet another genius among Nadaltards, yeepee.

I know it hurts when anyone disagrees your idol is not the bestest of the best in anything under the sun, but you'll have to take it on the chin. Excuse me, but having nerves of steel while playing high risk game time and time again in many, many high profile matches, incuding 14 slam wins, takes precedence over having the will and the grit of Nadal. It just does.

·
Super Moderator
62,003 Posts
Yes..specially on clay...
You feel it was Sampras' lack of mental toughness that hindered him from winning on clay? Mental toughness is not the only thing you need, you know. For all Nadal's mental toughness he wouldn't win Augusta Masters in golf if he got a WC there. You need skills as well.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Actually, I was going to open a thread wondering if Nadal has mental issues on court at the moment. His body language on court looks bad, he's like a scary beaten man. All he can do is push, whenever he attacks, he'll commit an UE. Pushing is the only thing he can do without s**tting his pants, just to wait for an UE from the opponent. When he's facing a mentally calm opponent like Nole at Miami or Kei before the injury, he just has no business. Heck, Ferrer and Almagro were even choking in their roastings and still succeeded in roasting.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts