Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which hurts the momentum more in a match?

• Losing a set 6-7 blowing handfulls of set points

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Losing a set 6-0 never having a chance

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Impossible to say really

Votes: 6 14.3%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never played tennis at a high level but I know when I play billiards for example, losing a game off the break and never even sinking a ball, it was a lot easier to move on from, as you never really had a chance to win so you just mentally wipe the slate clean, where as when you lose a set you should/could/would have won and blow chances, it can be so much more frustrating and then the negative thoughts enter your head, how your down on your luck and everything is against you and so on.

It's always seemed to be after getting bageled the next set is often more competitive and the other player at least forces a breaker or maybe even pinches it, where as a player can be 1 set all 7-6, 6-7 and lose the next set blowing match points and then it's a blowout in the last set.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I think losing 6-7 and having set points are worse then losing 0-6, as you only lose 0-6 if your are playing soooo shit or the other guy is just amazing

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
Definitely the first option, in 6-0 set the momentum is clearly against you, so mentally you are not "in" the match so to speak. In a tie breaker there is everything to play for and the momentum is statistically less one sided.

It is kinda like the Olympic medal analogy, Bronze medalists see themselves as thankful to get a medal, an achievement etc.. whilst Silver medalists see it as a total failure not to achieve Gold, the 6-7 set with multiple opportunities is the Silver medal.

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Yeah some 6-0's are minor tanks (like being down a double break and just going "fuck it"). In which case they're clearly thinking about the next set and will be in decent physical and mental shape when it comes. The scoring system of tennis gives them a "clean slate" in set 2, which also helps with confidence and belief.

A close 6-7 can take someone off guard, and be very mentally/physically draining. It takes some mental toughness to recover from and not just fold. Especially if the player that lost really felt he played better and deserved the set. Of course some people can channel that into positive energy moving forward, depends on the player.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I've never played tennis at a high level but I know when I play billiards for example, losing a game off the break and never even sinking a ball, it was a lot easier to move on from, as you never really had a chance to win so you just mentally wipe the slate clean, where as when you lose a set you should/could/would have won .

Nah,not when you have to pull your pants down and run laps around the table for punishment as a result of it.

I remember when Thomas Johansson lost to Mark Philippoussis at the US OPEN Quarters in 1998 in the 5th set tiebreaker 12-10 after blowing a couple of match points and said that the hurt he suffered as a result of it made him wish he'd lost 2,2 and 2 instead as wouldn't have bothered him so much and easier to come to grips with.

Depends on the person though.I'd gather someone like Federer would probably feel the other way due to the dearth of 'bagel' sets he's suffered in his career and probably takes it personally.He's also blown alot of matches after being match point up in his career (Latest being Kyrgios) that it's probably more easier to cope for him.Probably not.Who knows.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Losing a tiebreak hurts more. Typically in a 6-0 set, you can concede that you were simply outplayed, whether or not the opponent is actually that much better than you tends to be irrelevant. But in a tiebreak, you tend to think about what could have been. You tend to over-analyze the mistakes and misfortune, and overlook anything you may have done well to get there to begin with.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ofcourse. Because when you are about to lose the st 6-0, you have already accepted it and can start fresh in the 2nd and pretend nothing happened.
When you lose 7-6 after blowing SPs, it is really hard t oput it behind you right after and start fresh for the 2nd set.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like how in this thread there are two users who have certain players as their avatars who know the pain of narrowly losing very well. And it pretty much ruined their careers.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
first off - what does it mean to lose a set 0-6 for the current discussion? Do you win the next two 6-0 6-0, or do you lose the next one 6-0 as well? Or is it the middle set and you cruise the two others? :confused:

Considering the billiard reference, it makes me believe that it actually means losing a match with bakery involved and this is 100 times worse than losing a match with TBs and missing MPs.

Billiards/snooker depends 95% on your own ability to put the ball in the pocket, without anyone bothering you. The adversary's game has little consequence on your own, while in tennis it has very much to do..

When you lose 0 and 0, you have no idea where you stand. You could be a few adjustments away from making it a competitive match, or age away from ever getting a game from this adversary. So you have no idea at all, you don't know exactly what you do wrong, what to improve specifically, can you even play tennis? have you mistaken your career path?

Losing to luv is a killer.

Losing a match missing MPs, being in the match, having chances - it hurts short term, you replay some points in your mind the same evening, but that's that. You know you're there, it's on your racquet, you have won a multitude of points, you were unlucky in the TB, or took bad decisions, or the adversary was redlining, either way - you know exactly what's going on and you know you're where you want to be.

Losing 0-6 0-6 wipes anything left of your confidence away and this is a big part of tennis. Losing in a TB gives you directions for what to work on the next morning specifically.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,921 Posts
I think 6-7 is much harder - because of your physical and mental application. You can see how Djokovic winning the tight first set TB over Murray would give him the edge in their AO match this year.
Both Ferrer and Nadal experienced this in tiebreaks in Barcelona and Rome respectively with 6-2 leads and ended up losing them having had that much of a lead. That would hurt a lot more than getting bagelled, which you know is not your true level of competition.

In fact getting bagelled 6-0 does not guarantee losing the match. It is one set that can be forgotten quickly, as a player can quickly reassert himself and gain momentum, having not had to spend too much effort for the quick first set. For example, Djokovic delivered a bagel against Querrey in 2012 Paris Masters, but lost the match 0-6 7-6(5) 6-4. Similarly, Berdych bagelled Berlocq in Oeiras 2014 final but lost 0-6 7-5 6-1. Berdych himself got bagelled by Djokovic in Doha but clawed his way back into the match. Djokovic won 6-0 5-7 6-4 but the bagel set did not seem to affect the following sets.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
People are wrong here. Losing 6-0 is worse than 7-6. You have much more chance to win the match if you lose a set 7-6 than 6-0.
The 6-0 would kill you and likely make you give up.
The 7-6 would make you angry and fight even more in the next set.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree with OP. It is much easier to put past a 6-0 set loss, as you feel you didn't have a chance anyway, so it is easier to regroup and concentrate on the next set.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
People are wrong here. Losing 6-0 is worse than 7-6. You have much more chance to win the match if you lose a set 7-6 than 6-0.
or if you lose 6-0 you basically didnt waste any energy so you can still fight and if you lose 7-6 you lost much energy "for nothing" and it can frustrate you.

·
Premium Member
5,023 Posts
Losing 7-6 is a lot more mentally taxing. You fought so hard for the set only to come up empty and have to fight all over again for 2 more sets if you wish to win. A 6-0 set is neither physically or mentally taxing.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
correct.

the general response in the thread is actually very much telling about the level of "expertise" around here.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Losing a set 6-0 would be devastating and embarrassing.

Losing a tiebreak after having a set point would be frustrating and make you tear your hair out.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Obviously if you lose a set 6-7 the match is closer than if you lost 0-6. But we´re talking about the mental effect in the two cases, not how good a player´s chances of winning the match are, because that includes many other factors as well.

Losing a set 6-0 doesn´t "kill you or make you give up" in pro tennis. A bagel is a big deal only at MTF. To any professional player, 0-6 is not much different than losing 1-6, or 2-6. It is a lost set, and therefore history. It is not an easy situation mentally, but there is only one way from there, and that´s up. You can only improve. If you lose 6-7 you have to overcome the fact that you lost a set AND the fact that you probably had opportunities to win it and you didn´t. So losing a set 6-7 definitely hurts more. Look at it this way: Despite all the effort, all the chances, you´re as far away from winning the match than if you lost the set 6-0. That hurts.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Not true:
Losing 6-0, I'm already mentally reset for the second set.
Losing 7-6, Even a few points into the second set I'm still thinking about what may have been.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts