Mens Tennis Forums banner

Does Blake deserve top 10 ranking after two non-top 100 losses!!

• Yes

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 50 62.5%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He just got back to top 10 after one of his worst losses. This week he again lost to another more talented player. I personally think he does not deserve top 10 ranking anymore and now that he is the second oldest player in top 20, I would say he has peaked.

·
Registered
35,682 Posts
Re: James Blake does not deserve top 10 ranking!?

Blake = Giant Mug

He will be lucky to finish this year in the top 25.

And next year he should be way down the rankings :yeah:

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
if he has accumulated the points as the rules dictate, then I don't understand how he doesn't deserve it

if your question is Is he playing like a top 10 player right now then no.

·
Banned
1,472 Posts
the better question is how bad will the tennis be when he plays Donald Young in Memphis:haha:

·
@Ryan's Hat
19,893 Posts
Right now - NO!

·
Registered
8,505 Posts
He just got back to top 10 after one of his worst losses. This week he again lost to another more talented player. I personally think he does not deserve top 10 ranking anymore and now that he is the second oldest player in top 20, I would say he has peaked.
That's the wonderful thing about tennis. The rankings.

You win matches/tournaments and your ranking goes up. You don't win matches/tournaments and your ranking goes down.

It's all very very simple. Although too complicated for some.

If player x wins a tournament, he deserved it as he won the matches to do so, whether that makes any % of MTFers unhappy is irrelevant.

Every player is ranked where they deserve to be. James Blake did well enough to deserve being in the top 10. If his form dips sufficiently, he'll soon find himself out of it.

See, it's all very simple.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
If he has the top 10 most points of any player, then yes.

·
Banned
218 Posts
He is a player with top 10 skills and points, so sure why not?

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
He has got the ranking points to be Top10, so yes he deserves to be there.

If the ATP bought back the quality points system, where players get extra ranking points for beating higher ranked players, than the whole rankings will be different. Maybe they should bring them back!

·
Vault Hunter
6,521 Posts
He has got the ranking points to be Top10, so yes he deserves to be there.

If the ATP bought back the quality points system, where players get extra ranking points for beating higher ranked players, than the whole rankings will be different. Maybe they should bring them back!
:clap2:
I second that.

Has ATP ever had such a system? I didn't know that. Can you tell me something more about it?

·
May All Beings Be Happy!!
12,245 Posts
:clap2:
I second that.

Has ATP ever had such a system? I didn't know that. Can you tell me something more about it?
I think they changed the ranking system in 2000 until then they had something known as bonus points. Bonus points were awarded to a player if he beat a higher ranked player. I am not sure exactly but that was the gist. If I am wrong please correct me.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
He is a player with top 10 skills and points, so sure why not?
Exactly, he's just still such a flake and such a mental weak link. He has lost way too many matches he should have won, especially on big occasions. However, one can't deny his athletic talent.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I think it's largely a result of the Nadal-Fed domination.

The two of them have claimed such a large share of ranking points over the past couple years that an average player like Blake can scrape up enough points at smaller events to crack the top 10.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Let's not forget that he reached the QF at this year's Aussie Open. Let's see what he'll do in the upcoming Masters Series events. After that you can continue with the Anti Blake postings.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
I think it's largely a result of the Nadal-Fed domination.

The two of them have claimed such a large share of ranking points over the past couple years that an average player like Blake can scrape up enough points at smaller events to crack the top 10.
Ah, finally, a viewpoint that matches reality. Because that's indeed how it is - the current #1 and #2 are so much above all the rest of the players in talent and achievements (well perhaps except for the guy occupying the #3 position ;), that there simply aren't much points left for the other blokes. The ranking points clearly reflect this fact.

EDIT: this does not mean that I think the current field is 'weak'. Not at all, it only says that we have two incredibly gifted players leading the field for the past few years. :angel:

Oh, and to those who think it's a good idea to include 'bonus points' when a player beats a higher ranked player - do you really like the idea of a Seppi being a top player because of one very significant win this week? Be careful with what you wish for... ;)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts