Mens Tennis Forums banner

Australian bushfires are still raging: should the AO be played this year?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Moving it inside is one possible solution. But is it even possible / are there enough indoor courts to run things smoothly?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Doubt they would cancel or postpone the AO. Isn't a big cricket event going on right now in Melbourne in the nearby ground?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Australia is burning, and your main concern are grammar mistakes. Once again, I'm very proud of you, MTF. You truly make the world a better place 😘

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
If they stop playing tennis, will it stop the bushfire? Think logically.

Send more fire engines and more fire personnel, guys. Sending Djokovic and Barty is not the solution.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If they stop playing tennis, will it stop the bushfire? Think logically.

Send more fire engines and more fire personnel, guys. Sending Djokovic and Barty is not the solution.
This is not the point. Obviously cancelling the tournament won't help anything against the fires. The question is whether the players' health is at risk. I am not in a position to assess whether this is the case or not, but if it is, play should be cancelled or, if possible, moved indoors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is scheduled to be some significant rain over the coming days on the east cost here in Australia so hopefully it will be enough to put out these bushfires. Will have to wait and see, but fingers crossed as we really need it right now.

·
justice for all
12,070 Posts
Rafaelito loves to mess around with his bottles trying to disrupt his opponents' rhythm all the time.
Why won't he get his shit together, take those bottles with him and go to the bush to fight the fire?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
This is not the point. Obviously cancelling the tournament won't help anything against the fires. The question is whether the players' health is at risk. I am not in a position to assess whether this is the case or not, but if it is, play should be cancelled or, if possible, moved indoors.
The below is the picture from Melbourne on January 14, 2020. It is hard to take Djokovic's whining seriously. Didn't he run away in the middle of RG'19 semifinal on the excuse that it was too windy to play?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,089 Posts
Not Ashley and Nole but Thugios, Lil' ChiChi and Paire with all the water bottles they've thrown around court could make a difference.
Rafaelito loves to mess around with his bottles trying to disrupt his opponents' rhythm all the time.
Why won't he get his shit together, take those bottles with him and go to the bush to fight the fire?
Truly water bottles won't make a difference. The reason why this bushfire season has been this awful is the leadup of drought and lowering dam water levels. People living in the urban areas of Sydney have been placed on Level 2 water restrictions - so no hose to wash your car nor to water your lawn/garden. In rural areas, it's worse. Someone I met who lives in Orange (Central NSW) could only have 3 minute showers under Level 5 water restrictions.

Athletes aside, if the city deems the particulate levels unacceptably high, there will likely be some closures. I've already had emails in the past telling university staff to stay home if possible or keep indoors.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am missing a few poll options. One would expect a fan of Federer such as swiss_tennisgod to propose a solution along these lines:

• Close the roof and play all matches indoors - not only the air quality will be improved- tennis, as it should be played (aggressive shotmaking), will prevail.
Of course, when making a poll, the OP should be gracious enough to provide options also for opposing fan bases, so I think the following alternatives would be fitting:

• Stop the play and just hand the title to Rafa - as the world number one he is the legitimate champion anyway.
  • Stop the play and just hand the title to Nole - he has proved time and time again he is is the king of AO.

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
I am missing a few poll options. One would expect a fan of Federer such as swiss_tennisgod to propose a solution along these lines:

• Close the roof and play all matches indoors - not only the air quality will be improved- tennis, as it should be played (aggressive shotmaking), will prevail.
This is obviously not possible. How do you organize all the first round matches? And don't forget women play too. Hope your suggestion wasn't serious :D

·
justice for all
12,070 Posts

Of course, when making a poll, the OP should be gracious enough to provide options also for opposing fan bases, so I think the following alternatives would be fitting:

• Stop the play and just hand the title to Rafa - as the world number one he is the legitimate champion anyway.
  • Stop the play and just hand the title to Nole - he has proved time and time again he is is the king of AO.
Moving the whole thing to the clay kingdom of Majorca might also be a tempting option for Rafaelito tards.

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
Is "makes it really sense" grammatically correct?
Why does it even matter? It has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Seriously dude. You just derailed a rather interesting thread with a pointless discussion.

As for the topic, hmm I think we have to wait for a bit. The conditions are definitely unplayable right now, perhaps they can postpone it for a week or so or just move it to February. I don’t think it’s fair to cancel a grand slam altogether. I hope they can find a proper solution and hope this situation improves, but as of right now, there shouldn’t be any matches going on. The conditions are hazardous to the fans and most importantly the players.

·
|
13,677 Posts
The AO should have already made arrangements to shift the tournament to Brisbane or Sydney.
And they should not be deciding any later than Friday.
Fully commit on Friday or fully move it.
Spectators should be given the option of a refund or a ticket in the new location, very simple.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The below is the picture from Melbourne on January 14, 2020. It is hard to take Djokovic's whining seriously. Didn't he run away in the middle of RG'19 semifinal on the excuse that it was too windy to play?

LoL Federina will stain his tutu with suspended particles.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts