Mens Tennis Forums banner

Australian bushfires are still raging: should the AO be played this year?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know I would sell my Grandma for watching some epic tennis.

But makes it really sense to play the AO this year? I mean, the pictures I saw from the qualifiers were terrifying. Playing the AO reminds me a bit of that band on the titanc that kept playing even though the ship already hit the iceberg.

Federer already stated that he was close to skipping the tournament this year. Yet, we all know it is all about the money. The AO will happen, even if goddamn Melbourne is on fire.

But does it reallly make sense to play? I'm especially curious about insights from people who live near the area.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm not in Australia, but I have been working with some people who are resident in Australia recently, and it seems highly unlikely that the event can go ahead with the situation as it is currently. Hopefully it will improve, but as it stands now I think it would be utterly ridiculous to just go ahead with the event as normal.

I've been writing a book with a Paralympic swimmer who trains in Sydney in an outdoor pool, and he's basically had to put training on hold. The reports from the qualifiers have also been far from encouraging, and objective measurements of the air quality are pretty damning. If players have to play in extreme heat, that is arguably unacceptable but at least feasible, but I don't see how you can ask them to play in air quality that isn't good enough to breathe adequately.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Well lots of players are concerned about what happened today (Jakupovic retirement and ballkid dizzy in Clarke Kavcic match).

Melbourne City asked people pets and building workers to stay home and Horse Races were cancelled.

As newspaper l'Equipe said "Better be a horse or a pet than a Tennis Player for Tennis Australia".

·
Registered
683 Posts
Would cancel the qualifiers and hand the top few seeds a WC to make up the field then they might need to treat the first day or two like they would if it was raining. worst case the tournament is extended out to a third week.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Would cancel the qualifiers and hand the top few seeds a WC to make up the field then they might need to treat the first day or two like they would if it was raining. worst case the tournament is extended out to a third week.
And how is this fair? Either cancel the whole tournament or just go with it normally. There is no in between.

·
Registered
683 Posts
And how is this fair? Either cancel the whole tournament or just go with it normally. There is no in between.
Its not fair but what would happen if it had rained all week? has there ever been a slam where that has happened because surely the same rules would apply. The smoke should eventually clear.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Its not fair but what would happen if it had rained all week? has there ever been a slam where that has happened because surely the same rules would apply. The smoke should eventually clear.
First to 10 tiebreak instead of a normal 3rd set in qualies, make the first 3 rounds in the Main Draw BO3, or other similar solutions to make sure everyone gets to play.

·
MONSOON season.
81,338 Posts
Yes, let's rob players outside of the Top 100 of one of their biggest chances to break through and earn some good prize money.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Yes, let's rob players outside of the Top 100 of one of their biggest chances to break through and earn some good prize money.
What would happen if it had rained all week? These matches should have been played indoor.

·
Registered
13,026 Posts
OP phrased that as if it were German. Happens to German speakers, that's how you'd say it here.

"Does it make sense" is of course the correct phrasing.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i would cancel it . what im hearing from the qualifying, it doesnt make sense to go through with it. not outside anyway. either move it inside or dont hold it at all. they say that health and safety of the players is priority. well, prove it. dont just say it

1 - 20 of 83 Posts