Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read that Thomaz Bellucci has been given a wildcard to play at the Challenger Tour Finals. Obviously it's in Brazil and so him being Brazilian will perhaps draw in better crowds, but if he just wins it easily wont the whole tournament have been a bit pointless?

I don't really get the point of it anyway to be honest...

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Bellucci should win it easily. But then it is Bellucci, sometimes he comes out on court and plays... :help: :tape:

·
28,789 Posts
I agree, this is a joke. He has played ZERO challenger matches this year. Why is the event held in Brazil, why doesn't Canada get it for example so Milos can play there or the US, maybe Roddick could get back on track with a WC here.

·
Your visions will happen
48,641 Posts
Current Challenger Top 8:

1 Machado, Rui (POR)
2 Prodon, Eric (FRA)
3 Klizan, Martin (SVK)
4 Rosol, Lukas (CZE)
5 Beck, Andreas (GER)
6 Bachinger, Matthias (GER)
7 Istomin, Denis (UZB)
8 Ungur, Adrian (ROU)

Will they kick out Ungur?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
This is ridiculous. This the equivalent of giving someone a wildcard to the WTF. Doesn't make any sense to give a wildcard to a year end final, as the players had to qualify to get there.

·
28,789 Posts
This is ridiculous. This the equivalent of giving someone a wildcard to the WTF. Doesn't make any sense to give a wildcard to a year end final, as the players had to qualify to get there.
It's not equivalent to that, its even worse because Bellucci played the whole year ABOVE the level of the 8 challenger players.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's all rather ridiculous isn't it. Surely it's supposed to be for challenger players? I know it's in Brazil but Bellucci hasn't played one challenger in 2011. And the top 8 in the rankings are not the ones who will be playing...Prodon, Rosol, Istomin and Ungur are not in the 8. A farce!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Totally ridicilous. If the event can´t draw spectators without this kind of stupid arrangement, then why organise it in the first place. Might as well make it an invitational exho tournament instead of pretending it has something to do with the top challenger players.

·
28,789 Posts
It's all rather ridiculous isn't it. Surely it's supposed to be for challenger players? I know it's in Brazil but Bellucci hasn't played one challenger in 2011. And the top 8 in the rankings are not the ones who will be playing...Prodon, Rosol, Istomin and Ungur are not in the 8. A farce!
Which players are showing up?

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
I don't like the idea to give WC to a player, in my oppinion first 8 should qualify and not 7 + 1 WC
But of course it's all for the crowd...Bellucci is the best brazilian player so the fans will fill the crowds to see him so it's all about money IMO
I don't think there are many tennis fans who would go to Machado vs Klizan on indoor hard for the example...

·
Banned
12,122 Posts
Current Challenger Top 8:

1 Machado, Rui (POR)
2 Prodon, Eric (FRA)
3 Klizan, Martin (SVK)
4 Rosol, Lukas (CZE)
5 Beck, Andreas (GER)
6 Bachinger, Matthias (GER)
7 Istomin, Denis (UZB)
8 Ungur, Adrian (ROU)

Will they kick out Ungur?
yes, 'This first edition in Sao Paulo will feature the seven best players of the season on the ATP Challenger Tour and one wild card invited by the host country'

·
Your visions will happen
48,641 Posts
yes, 'This first edition in Sao Paulo will feature the seven best players of the season on the ATP Challenger Tour and one wild card invited by the host country'
That really blows for Ungur.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The seven players to qualify for the ATP Challenger Tour Finals, plus the one wild card entrant, were announced on Wednesday. The inaugural eight-player event, which offers $220,000 in prize money, will take place at the Ibirapuera Gymnasium in São Paulo from 16-20 November.

Rui Machado (POR), Martin Klizan (SVK), Andreas Beck (GER), Matthias Bachinger (GER), Dudi Sela (ISR), Bobby Reynolds (USA) and Cedrik-Marcel Stebe (GER) will join Brazilian No. 1 Thomaz Bellucci, who will participate in the event as a wild card.

·
Registered
19,278 Posts
So the current challenger number 2 Prodon is not there...bizarre...
I heard that Prodon said that he doesn't want to play
Don't know why

·
Registered
13,751 Posts
well regular challenger events offer wild cards to higher ranked players all the time so it's not like it's breaking with the spirit of the Challenger tour.

It's business. You need someone to sell the event because nobody will pay to see a bunch of anonymous dirt-ballers slog it out on a surface they look utterly clueless on otherwise.

It's not "unfair" on Ungur (or whoever finishes 8th) because they've known the rules from the start.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Things are going to be really awkward when Thomaz loses.

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
i agree its a joke of a wild card

but given his current form i doubt he'll be winning it. I think one of the germans will win the whole thing, on their day they can beat s truggling bellucci

1 - 20 of 27 Posts