Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are numerous examples with players being on fire and carrier incline. After being faced with a loss from Federer crashing and humiliating them, they tend to have an immediate decline of their results for a long time. Is he having a devastating impact on their mental mind state?
Here are some recent ones: Gonzalez at AO 2007. Perfect performance from him until the final with Fed. After being crashed in 3 sets he couldn't even produce a half a game play he had shown in AO. Until Rome his best result was QF in Vina del mar. In other tournaments falling in 1,2 rounds. After 5 months he was runner up in Rome. After that another 4 months of struggle with reaching most QF in Hamburg and Queens Club, with 2 slams lost in 1st round. Finally he won in Beijing and made 3 QFs after that. He made it to TMC and besides that awkward win over Fed he showed poor play and looks like he is still not out of dump.
Next example Youzhny, good start of the year, very consistent, SF in Zagreb, W in Rotterdam, F in Dubai. After schooling he gets from Fed in Dubai final he went walkabout in next 2 months loosing in max 2nd match he played. He was one of the main candidates for high rankings at the 2007 Race at start of the year but he ended up as 18th.
Djokovic: stellar year, but after a loss from Fed at USO final he started to struggle in every game since then despite his win in Vienna.
Looks like even Rafa isn't immune to an impact from Federer. After that loss in Wimby his results and what is more obvious his game declined a huge deal.
We can find lots of excuses for every one of this players, injuries, bad match ups, not suitable surfaces, exhaustion etc. But all of them have one thing in common: loosing to Fed in a final after they played amazing tennis and after that not nearly reaching the level of play they had for a long time.
Is that what will happen to Ferrer after his loss in TMC final? He was clearly played the best tennis of his life and still being crashed by Fed. Could only one match with Fed messes with player's heads and requires a long time after that for them to recover?

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
>>>
in short~~~ YES!!!

FED has had a devastating mental impact on the following in particular:

#Hewitt [eg.04 USO & TMC finals]
#Roddick [eg.04 & 05 Wimby finals]
#Blake [eg.06 TMC final & 07 Cincy final]
#Ferrero [03 TMC & 04 AO]
#Gonzalez [06 Madrid final & 07 AO final]
#Djokovic [07 USO final]
#Ljubicic
#Davydenko
#Agassi [03 TMC final & 05 USO final]
#Nadal [06 & 07 Wimby finals]

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hope he wont do any permanent damage to some of the youngsters. It will be such a loss for a tennis.

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
I just hope he wont do any permanent damage to some of the youngsters. It will be such a loss for a tennis.
Now you can see why I believe Federer will be the death of tennis.

If you love tennis, you really cant be a fan of Federer.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I don't think it's really true in case of any other player other than Roddick. Roddick has often stated that one of his goals is to beat Federer. Nadal had a better season compared to last year even after that devastating Wimbledon final. I don't think all players obsess over losing to Federer. For them tennis is a part of life and they just keep doing what they can do and need to do. Most people learn to be content with what they have achieved rather that worry about what they haven't achieved.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This is only a colateral damage. The real effect is they prepare better themselves for his next encounter with Rogelio, and sometimes it pays splendidly as in Gonzo and Nalby´s cases.

·
5,067 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
So funny... it appears that all top players are bunch of immature kids that can't get up after a defeat. Even Coria after that enigmatic loss in FO final was able to reach Monte Carlo, Rome and Beijing finals next year

·
5,067 Posts
So funny... it appears that all top players are bunch of immature kids that can't get up after a defeat. Even Coria after that enigmatic loss in FO final was able to reach Monte Carlo, Rome and Beijing finals next year
Most pro tennis players are great athletes, but they are mental weaklings and just not that bright.

·
Registered
976 Posts
He's even admitted himself. Sometimes he doesn't have to do much to win just let the other guy freak out.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now you can see why I believe Federer will be the death of tennis.

If you love tennis, you really cant be a fan of Federer.
Oh, I absolutely don't like his impact on tennis world, but I can't be blind at his achievements. He will end up as GOAT, like it or not. It is not his problem that other players are so weak minded and he can so easlily bully them. For as long as it works, good for him, not so good for the others.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is only a colateral damage. The real effect is they prepare better themselves for his next encounter with Rogelio, and sometimes it pays splendidly as in Gonzo and Nalby´s cases.
What kind of preparing ? After that AO final Gonzo was struggling whole year, and he still is. I still think Gonzo def. Fed was a fluke. Only think that he changed was his stupid BH slice and started hitting "normal" CC backhand and use more BH DTL. That was enough to get a win over surprised Fed.

·
5,067 Posts
Oh, I absolutely don't like his impact on tennis world, but I can't be blind at his achievements. He will end up as GOAT, like it or not. It is not his problem that other players are so weak minded and he can so easlily bully them. For as long as it works, good for him, not so good for the others.
Yeah.

I guess its not his fault that this tennis era is so bad. Most of these players could be considered borderline retarded.

I just believe a GOAT should earn that name against men and not weak minded little girls.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And Nalby... he is a different case and he is in a league of his own. Except that first serve huge improvement and a little bit weight loss, he is playing totally the same as he was playing whole year. Not to repeat myself:

Nalby can be as arrogant as Fed is, and he totally doesn't fall down upon other player's authority. On contrary, it is Fed who often falls down upon his authority. The only problem with Nalby is that he is having such a risky game, he tends to paint the lines all the time, and when he is having a day off it can be disastrous. When he is on, his angles,depth and constructing the points are breathtaking. Also he has the ability to choke from time to time and then he is having an attack of "dropshotitis" which makes him to play drop shot every 2nd ball.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah.

I guess its not his fault that this tennis era is so bad. Most of these players could be considered borderline retarded.

I just believe a GOAT should earn that name against men and not weak minded little girls.

He will became a GOAT based on his results (No.1 and slam titles) not based upon his effect on other players. And players in this era are not retarded, he just found a way to beat them with more then just a tennis skills. IMO he exploited the mental side of tennis more then anyone before.

·
5,067 Posts
He will became a GOAT based on his results (No.1 and slam titles) not based upon his effect on other players. And players in this era are not retarded, he just found a way to beat them with more then just a tennis skills. IMO he exploited the mental side of tennis more then anyone before.
Athletes shouldnt be this mentally weak.

There intellect is pathetic and their mental strength is non existent.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
I can see RFK wasn't banned. Too bad for tennis.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
God, you idiots are just retarded. You just can't appreciate Roger's transcendent brand of tennis. No one has ever played like this, and you can't seem to recognize Genius in front of your mug.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts