• The John McEnroe fantasy(Nadal)

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't think of anybody out there that has net skills as good as Brown as it really is his whole game,Also hits some fantastic winners at the net
Anyone better:confused:

·
10,278 Posts
I'll bump this for the lol's.

·
Registered
33,355 Posts
Volley's aren't his whole game, he also proved vs Nadal in Halle that he can hit big winners from the baseline as well as awesome lobs.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
He definitely has great volleys but tsonga and fed is up there too.

·
10,278 Posts
Soooo let me get this straight.

Dustin Brown is better than:

-Stepanek
-Federer
-Llodra
-Tsonga
???

:lol:

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
Tsonga is nowhere near top volleys on tour. He can produce flash drop volleys but standard punch volleys have hardly been just that for him, standard. His split step is one of the worst I've seen from someone who's so highly regarded in this department on MTF. You'll never see someone like Hewitt make a hash of a volley because of a mistimed split step.

Federer, Llodra, Stepanek, Lopez, Hewitt, Stakhovsky, Haas all have better volleys, off the top of my head.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
For me it's Tsonga he rarely plays doubles but when he does it's obvious he has a great touch.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Tsonga is nowhere near top volleys on tour. He can produce flash drop volleys but standard punch volleys have hardly been just that for him, standard. His split step is one of the worst I've seen from someone who's so highly regarded in this department on MTF. You'll never see someone like Hewitt make a hash of a volley because of a mistimed split step.

Federer, Llodra, Stepanek, Lopez, Hewitt, Stakhovsky, Haas all have better volleys, off the top of my head.
BS. Tsonga has great feel and touch on his volleys, it would be extremely difficult to find someone that's better. Have you seen tsonga volley a lot ?

Majority of tennis experts and fans would disagree with you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Dustin Brown has an incredibly good volley, no doubt, but I can't say he's as good as Stepanek or Murray or Federer.

·
Registered
21,231 Posts
BS. Tsonga has great feel and touch on his volleys, it would be extremely difficult to find someone that's better. Have you seen tsonga volley a lot ?

How old are you?

You clearly don't understand anything technical or biomechanical about tennis, just like most of these so called "experts".

I didn't say Tsonga is a bad volleyer, but he's far from the best on tour. His punch volley is simply nowhere near good enough. I've seen Tsonga play regularly since 2007 and it has always been the same. The occasional flashy drop volley when he's in trouble or out of position but inconsistent on volleys which should be standard practice. The first sign of an excellent volleyer is appropriate positioning and weight dispersion; he's all over the place.

·
Registered
13,564 Posts

Actually, Burrow is spot on. Tsonga has great drop volley, but punch volley is nowhere near top levels and there's a whole list of players that are overall more versatile at the net. He's exccelent with approach shots, though, so his volleying skills serve him good enough when he does it at all, which hasn't been much for a while now.

OT, Brown is NOT the best volleyer, no doubt about it. That distinction goes to Llodra at the moment. I'll also add Gasquet and Lopez to Burrow's list. There are probably more.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
i have to aggree with Burrow, Tsonga is a very good volleyer, but very overrated as well. People live with the memories of his instinctive drop shot volleys destroying Nadal at Ao long ago, but he' no textbook for the rest of the range for sure.

Besides the mentioned guys in Burrow's post (from which list i personally wouldn't have included Rusty, even though he's a solid one, but not as good as the rest of the list, just imo) i'd defo add the Bro's, the Indian few dudes, some Polish dudes, Nestor, etc.

BEst volleyers are certainly among the best doubles players, inevitably.

If i had to make a top 5, only Stepanek and Llodra would make it from the singles players, both possibly in the top 3 though.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts

Haas is a bad volleyer, that's the reason he comes rarely to the net, and even when he does, he loses most of the points.
Tsonga is up there with the best volleyers, he's easily the best answer to Nadal passing shots, I think he should be in the top 10 of the best net plays.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts