Mens Tennis Forums banner
281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
What is Nadal’s achievement that Novak may or may not pass?
Nadal is doing better at the overall Titles and Olympics, among the most important achievements.

No1e has managed to pass Rafa at the GS finals/semis, Big titles, YEC(WTF), Masters 1000, Y.E. no.1, Weeks @ no.1, H2H, DCGS, DCGM, NoleSlam.

It is impossible to beat Nadal's OG and the chance of equalling it is very slim as well, so, Nadal's number of titles is the easiest resume to surpass, because GS titles still don't grow on trees, especially if you are 34+ y.o. and Nadal wins another RG.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Wonder if I posted in this thread originally, i remember it from 2011. I’m sure I was way off though, as most people were. Crazy that since the topic was made, Nadal DOUBLED his slam total and Djokovic still caught up to him

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
The crazy thing is not that Djokovic surpassed Nadal, which did seem unlikely at the time already. The crazy thing is he did it with Nadal achieving tons more than everyone would have expected at the time (like double digits slams since then).

And even as recent as Wimbledon 2018 it looked like he wouldn't be able to catch up.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
The crazy thing is not that Djokovic surpassed Nadal, which did seem unlikely at the time already. The crazy thing is he did it with Nadal achieving tons more than everyone would have expected at the time (like double digits slams since then).

And even as recent as Wimbledon 2018 it looked like he wouldn't be able to catch up.
Nadal has arguably amassed a greater resume after this thread than before it, amassing one y.e. no.1 season more + five weeks @ no.1 more + four slam finals more.

10 slams + 6 slam finals, 17 masters, 3 y.e. no.1, 107 weeks, 42 titles

i.e. Nadal (post-RG'11) was almost as great as Borg in his career, the only problem being that Djokovic was almost as great as Federer in his whole career.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pretty good!
Since you were wondering whether you commented here, and I remember seeing your username while reading the thread today, I'm quoting your reply from 2016. You haven't made any predictions (at least I didn't see any), just quoted someone who was almost right on the money (at that point in time). Pardon my cluelessness with this, I have no idea how to insert both your answer and the quote you made. It's on page 11 btw.

On average everyone was giving him like 6-8 slams, some even said 5 at most. Just goes to show how difficult it is to predict sports with any sort of accuracy over a decade long period. Most people thought these guys would be long gone from the tour.

EDIT: went back and quoted it from the original post, here it is.

I think Djokovic will end up with 12-13 slams. Nadal will end up with 14-15 IMO. So no I dont think Djokovic will surpass Nadal in slam wins anyway.

Wishful thinking to believe Roger will beat Djokovic again in a slam, except maybe one other time at most. Roger got up bigtime for their Roland Garros encounter while Djokovic underestimated Roger. Roger is still old, past his prime, and Djokovic is simply a far better player than Roger right now (present ability) and that will never change at this stage of Roger's career.

Murray wont beat Djokovic in a slam anytime soon either, if ever.

A fully revived Del Potro could threaten but it seems we have been waiting forever for that.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Since you were wondering whether you commented here, and I remember seeing your username while reading the thread today, I'm quoting your reply from 2016. You haven't made any predictions (at least I didn't see any), just quoted someone who was almost right on the money (at that point in time). Pardon my cluelessness with this, I have no idea how to insert both your answer and the quote you made. It's on page 11 btw.

On average everyone was giving him like 6-8 slams, some even said 5 at most. Just goes to show how difficult it is to predict sports with any sort of accuracy over a decade long period. Most people thought these guys would be long gone from the tour.

EDIT: went back and quoted it from the original post, here it is.
yep I ended up finding it after this “see all posts by this user” feature was added
Yeah, at that point in time that prediction was pretty spot on, obviously that aged a bit poorly now too :D

Another reminder how much can change in tennis in just a few years

·
Premium Member
The best is yet to come
31,267 Posts
  • At least 1 Grand Slam tournament won for 10 consecutive years
  • 9 titles at a single Grand Slam tournament
  • 2 Channel Slams (Roland Garros - Wimbledon)
  • At least 2 Grand Slam tournaments on every surface (hard-clay-grass)
  • 3 Grand Slam tournaments on 3 different surfaces within the same year
  • Olympic Gold medal in singles.
  • Clay Slam (the three Masters on clay + Roland Garros)
  • The North American Slam (Canada - Cincy - US Open)
  • Longest surface winning streak on any single surface (81 consecutive matches won on clay)

...just from the top of my head.
Equalled, just from the top of my head. He had a good chance to win another Channel slam also in 2016, but his body refused.
Anyway, next he will make a last attempt at the Channel slam... brace yourselves, Djokotards... here he comes again to win the Coupe des Mousquetaires and the golden Cup with the Pineapple.

·
Registered
560 Posts

If we are focusing on slams only it looked the same this time last year.
Win/Canceled/DQ/Bagel. No progress, still -3. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
it will be interesting to see in their rivalry who will win more matches-Nadal on hard vs Novak on clay-for now Novak have the advantage-they ve played equal number of matches on hard and clay and Novak have 1 more win

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts

Well he likely wouldn't if they didn't decide to close the roof for no reason but help the Serbian.

• Haha
Reactions: xdrewitdajx

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Well he likely wouldn't if they didn't decide to close the roof for no reason but help the Serbian.
Compensates for the help Nadal got in Roland Garros 2012 when the match got suspended when momentum was Djokovic's.

If we are focusing on slams only it looked the same this time last year.
Win/Canceled/DQ/Bagel. No progress, still -3. :)
Yes, the Wimbledon cancelation and USO DQ made it look like it was the end of Djokovic's chances for the slam count. This year was huge.

·
Your visions will happen
54,705 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
What a funny thread, most comments from the first years didn´t age well at all. Djokovic has surpassed Nadal now, Nadal´s only chance is keep adding in RG and pray Djokovic slumps or the new generation makes it more difficult to him.

But there are two achievements that Djokovic may stay behind his big3 competition, olympics and WTF, that will always weigh on Djokovic´s resumee if he can´t turn it round.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts