Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great kick serve, placement, pace. I think he's taken the title from Fed in this regard.

Reactions: Cloren

·
Registered
357 Posts
nope, he hasn't overtaken roger in this regard yet

mainly because fed's serve is more reliable than novak's :shrug:

Reactions: IBM

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not even close there are several servers with more variety than djokovic on tour..

Reactions: IBM

·
Banned
15,396 Posts
Agree with OP. Novak is the new serve variety king. Fed is still up there, but is fading and will not be able to keep up much longer, so Novak is taking the title.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Good troll thread

Reactions: 17-6-302

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,226 Posts
It's improved but not the most reliable and could be better given his height. Good returners can still expose it. For me S&V players like Lopez and Muller take the cake here, but it helps they have the height factor and leftiness which gives them plenty of options but their variety on serve is hard to parallel. For instance, Muller's 2nd serve doesn't bear bombs like Karlovic or Isner, but can place it all over the service box with good angle.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, the key is given his height, it should be a little bit better. It is, however, understated in terms of his success post 2011. After the disaster that was 2009, it's a testament to good old fashioned work that he was able to turn it around and make his serve a decent weapon. He does not possess the variety that Federer has, especially on the second serve.

·
|
16,420 Posts
Nadal has won their last 4 slam meetings, so Djokovic's serve is useless (and the most lopsided was 2013 US Open, 6-1 in 4th set).
Or maybe Nadal is the best returner on tour etc.

·
WOAT Predictor
7,007 Posts
Has definitely become more of a reliable weapon under Boris Becker.
Will see how this translates to the fast court Slams later again this year.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Ehh, no.

Rogi #1 of course, but Novak probably second as I don't see who else would be with this weak as p*ss tour we have at the moment.

Fedovic are literally the only serious players on the tour now and I'm not kidding.

Murray is done.

Nadal, probably done.

Djokovic is the clear #1, and Federer the even clearer #2.

As for the others?
Dimitrov? Ferrer?
And people call Fed's era weak.

·
|
16,420 Posts
^ Nadal is on a 15 match winning streak over Djokovic/Murray/Federer at the slams.
Djokovic couldn't even push Nadal to 5 sets last year at Roland Garros when Nadal had a back injury and hand cramping.
Nadal is about to stomp on Djokovic for the 7th time at Roland Garros, if Djokovic dares show his face again.
And there is an even bigger gap at The US Open as Nadal beat Djokovic 6-1 in the 4th set of their 2013 encounter (not that Djokovic is a legit US Open threat, he lost to Nishikori last year).
Speaking of Nishikori, Nadal is undefeated vs Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic and Gulbis.
So Nadal owns both generations.
17+ slams on the way.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Hey T_C!

^ Nadal is on a 15 match winning streak over Djokovic/Murray/Federer at the slams.
Indeed, it's just a shame he can't be on such a streak against Rosol/Darcis/Kyrgios/Berdych.

Djokovic couldn't even push Nadal to 5 sets last year at Roland Garros when Nadal had a back injury and hand cramping.
This is true, Nadal at RG is a different beast, but everybody's time comes eventually.
He won't lose to Novak though, that ship has sailed. It will be someone else.

Nadal is about to stomp on Djokovic for the 7th time at Roland Garros, if Djokovic dares show his face again.
I don't doubt it to be honest. :lol:

·
|
16,420 Posts
^ Well hopefully there is a Naderer meeting at RG/USO, just to mix things up.
Wimbledon too, now that there is an extra week of preparation available.
Add that extra week to last year's Wimbledon and Nadal may have escaped that 3rd set tie-breaker (which he led 5-4) vs Kyrgios and we'd have gotten a Nadal-Raonic QF and Nadal-Federer SF.

·
The Master
1,102 Posts
Add that extra week to last year's Wimbledon and Nadal may have escaped that 3rd set tie-breaker (which he led 5-4) vs Kyrgios and we'd have gotten a Nadal-Raonic QF and Nadal-Federer SF.
Rafa can win whatever he likes and I will be happy for him, as long as he doesn't beat Federer any more. :lol:

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,226 Posts
I'm not sure Nadal would have defeated Raonic. Nadal struggled losing in the 1st set for each of his matches, often in tiebreaks, and Raonic was goating on serve all week, even Nishikori couldn't do much about it in the ensuing sets of their R4 encounter. I doubt it would have been that easy for Nadal, even with his H2H record. Nadal really struggled against Rosol who was serving big too, and Kukushkin was quite a challenge until he figured out to attack the second serve. During that 4 set match, Kyrgios sent over 30 aces against Nadal, some of them on second serves, and was broken by Nadal just once in 2nd set and broke Nadal just once in the final set. So an even better server in Raonic might be tricky. Fortunately Raonic was downed by Federer in SF.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts