Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Random topic on the eve of a slam final I know but was wondering if anyone feels the same way about this guy as I do. On the face of it he's a pretty big hitter whose game is far from boring but he just leaves me completely cold. Don't ever feel compelled to tune into one of his matches & doubt that will change anytime soon. Don't know whether that's derived more from his personality or game. This isn't meant as a character assassination on the fella, I'm genuinely just curious whether other people have been able to connect with him or not & why.

·
6,484 Posts
Maybe best ask Alja Tomljanovik.
But the guy is an above average tennis player, not overly interesting to watch.

·
11,092 Posts
There are plenty of semi complete tennis player in the top 50. They are good at what they do , generally win when they should , lose when they shouldn't.

Personality has a lot to do with a players support. Kyrgios probably has way more fans then Berrentini, same with a good number of next gen despite lack of success.

Don't think Berrentini will ever bring in the masses.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are plenty of semi complete tennis player in the top 50. They are good at what they do , generally win when they should , lose when they shouldn't.

Personality has a lot to do with a players support. Kyrgios probably has way more fans then Berrentini, same with a good number of next gen despite lack of success.

Don't think Berrentini will ever bring in the masses.
Agreed but Berrettini stands out more to me presently as he's a top tenner. That might just be a quirk of the current rankings & he'll never be ranked as high as that again however I see & hear commentators predicting this bright future for him & I'm finding it impossible to get on any such bandwagon.

·
Registered
21,647 Posts
I like him, not the most sparkling personality but a great guy nonetheless. The problem with his game from a spectator's point of view is that everything needs to click in order for it to be attractive to look at. The way he has been playing this year hurts your eyes.

·
Registered
59,065 Posts
When he's on (which means he's making >50% of his backhands in the vicinity of the court) he can be fun. He's good at net, has nice touch, I like his serve as far as aesthetically pleasing serves go, and his forehand is just huge. I do wish he was more vocal.

I prefer his game to Rublev or Sinner though, those two are truly one-dimensional even if they have better backhands, although that still has time to change and hopefully will. I also prefer Berrettini's game to Tsonga's (except for Tsonga-on-grass), which it has some similarities to.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Since his game is ugly to say the least he would need to send over a couple of his millions to make me answer this question with 'yes'.

Reactions: Matt01

·
Registered
21,647 Posts
When he's on (which means he's making >50% of his backhands in the vicinity of the court) he can be fun. He's good at net, has nice touch, I like his serve as far as aesthetically pleasing serves go, and his forehand is just huge. I do wish he was more vocal.
Don't forget the dropshots!

I prefer his game to Rublev or Sinner though, those two are truly one-dimensional even if they have better backhands, although that still has time to change and hopefully will. I also prefer Berrettini's game to Tsonga's (except for Tsonga-on-grass), which it has some similarities to.
Definitely better to look at than Rublev. I really like Sinner though, reminds me of Nalbandian and Davydenko

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Random topic on the eve of a slam final I know but was wondering if anyone feels the same way about this guy as I do. On the face of it he's a pretty big hitter whose game is far from boring but he just leaves me completely cold. Don't ever feel compelled to tune into one of his matches & doubt that will change anytime soon. Don't know whether that's derived more from his personality or game. This isn't meant as a character assassination on the fella, I'm genuinely just curious whether other people have been able to connect with him or not & why.
He is typical italian womaniser. Nothing else really

·
Registered
16,925 Posts
I find Musetti or/and Sonego both more interesting with their charisma and games.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
I find Musetti or/and Sonego both more interesting with their charisma and games.
Sonego is vile. Are you serious ha

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yes for me.

Unreal serve
Super slice
Very solid

·
Registered
8,144 Posts

Lol rublev and sinner 2 of best in world and u dislike their game. One dimensional not issue if they are as good as it gets wit that dimension

1 - 20 of 31 Posts