Votes: 45 64.3%
  • Djokovic will not win the US Open.

Votes: 25 35.7%
1 - 21 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
legitimate question. Once again a ____ % Djokovic is still probably the clear favorite to win the whole thing. I'm just curious in poll for format if people think Djokovic will not win?

This is potentially the most free slam for a big 3 guy since, I don't know when. We are in a different place from last year's Medvedev.

Even for the Nadal and Federer fans, maybe Djokovic fans too... does anyone think Djokovic will not win?

Even for the Johnny Groove people who aren't looking past the next yoga session.... just make a vote.

Reactions: bilentsob

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Novak won 5 of the last 7 seven slams (and one that he lost he retired injured). So, it's more like 5 of the last 6. Novak will make it 6 out of 7 soon.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The only thing that would prevent him winning would be an injury. Even then, Djokovic at 50% would still probably find a way to win against this lot.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,105 Posts
Yes

I fancy Tsitsipas to win it

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
Well, he's not injured. He looked good physically yesterday, and it will only get better since I expect him to win his matches in straight sets.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
He already won a Covid-era Masters tournament while badly injured. And the draw for this GS is even weaker. The only people that could possibly beat him are either injured (Federer) or are absent because they (rightly) didn't trust the USTA to organise a safe tournament (Stan and Rafa).

So yes, Novak will win.

But there shouldn't be any points awarded for this shit.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Well, he's not injured. He looked good physically yesterday, and it will only get better since I expect him to win his matches in straight sets.
It doesn't fucking matter if he's injured or not. We already saw that this weekend. He could play with two broken legs and he'd still beat the likes of Raonic.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think its more likely than many believe. Djokovic is the favorite but he can injure himself, lose to a red hot player and so on. Nadal last year barely beat medvedev, if he catches fire he absolutely can win. Zverev can out of nowhere make a good run and win(before novak won W18-AO19 slams, he couldn't make it past the QF's for 1.5 years, Zverev won his first masters on the first time he reached a semi, as well as the WTF), thiem can get into form and play like in 2019 WTF match vs novak and than its anyones game, not to mention he came really close to win the AO. Tsitsipas causes trouble to novak as well. Its the young(er) players best chance by far to finally win a slam.

Djokovic is the favorite, there is no doubt about it, but its far from certain.

·
|
15,828 Posts
Djokovic didn't look better than Thiem in the AO Final this year, and only won because Nadal made Thiem play the 76 46 76 76 grindfest.
And a few days ago Djokovic didn't look better than Bautista Agut.
Djokovic only looked slightly better than Raonic.
So the question is, how many times can Djokovic escape?
What if he has to play Tsitsipas and Medvedev? Or Thiem again?
All 3 of those guys beat Djokovic on hardcourt last year.

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
13,105 Posts
Nah. He couldn't even beat Novak in a few finals recently, and you expect him to do it over a best of 5 (where Novak plays much better)? And on a slow court like Arthur Ashe Stadium?
Agree but i think he is not right at moment. In many ways.... if he is...he wins...he wins every match rest of year....but i think he not ok

·
|
15,828 Posts
One thing is for sure, Djokovic has no chance of winning Rome/Roland Garros.
In fact he's been awful in his last 3 clay meetings with Nadal.
Nadal won in straight sets Madrid 2017, straight sets Rome 2018, and 60 46 61 Rome 2019.
Also its highly unlikely that Djokovic would beat Thiem at Roland Garros anyway.
I'm not even convinced that Djokovic would beat Thiem at the US Open....

·
Registered
882 Posts
I don't know who can beat him but never say never.

·
justice for all
18,024 Posts
I do. But I’m saying the opposite and am kinda nice to him cause I wanna jinx him. 🙃
Let’s see how that works.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Swamp Thing thinks he'll do it.
As for me (a person), I'll just take it one match at a time.

Reactions: Claybot

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think he is likely to win. But it's very far from guaranteed. Medevdev, Tsitsipas, maybe even Thiem or Zverev could reasonably beat him. Or he could get injured...

1 - 21 of 180 Posts