Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
:haha:

I was joking, mate, sorry

Now seriously, that´s what I´ve found quickly, don´t know if there are fresher news, surely there are:

"The ITF is still in negotiations with the ATP regarding ranking points for the men players for Beijing," ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti said. "The ATP awarded ranking points for the Olympic Tennis Event in 2000 and 2004 and we are hopeful that they will do the same for 2008."

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
If the ITF will award points for Olympic play why not Davis Cup? Seems only fair.
The points in reference are the mens singles. They are solo like any other tennis event. Davis cup is completely different.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
nothing has been decided yet
Okay, thanks.

I guess it would be fairer if they count towards optionals...I mean, for nations featuring a large number of top players (e.g. Argentina, Spain, France etc), some of the guys are going to miss out playing more through their national ranking than world ranking...if I am right in assuming that there is a cap on how many players may represent a particular country. :scratch:

·
Registered
32,550 Posts
Okay, thanks.

I guess it would be fairer if they count towards optionals...I mean, for nations featuring a large number of top players (e.g. Argentina, Spain, France etc), some of the guys are going to miss out playing more through their national ranking than world ranking...if I am right in assuming that there is a cap on how many players may represent a particular country. :scratch:
I meant they haven't agreed on the points yet...if there will be points, I'm sure they will count towards optionals.

Please note that the ITF Qualification System for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games is subject to change, should ranking points not be available for competitors in the Olympic Tennis Event.
Here's the qualification system summary:

http://en.beijing2008.cn/upload/Qualification/itf_summary_e.pdf

1 - 19 of 19 Posts