Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since the age of 20 he has made the QF or better in every grand slam event. He has already won 3 French Open titles (which are the hardest to win) and he has made 2 Wimbledon finals...all by the age of 21!!! He is maturing very fast. His game might not be as beautiful to watch as Federer's but I think theres a real possibility he might end up in the top 3 GOATs when all is said and done. He is already ahead of where Fed was at his age and is peaking much earlier, therefore he has more time to accomplish his goals. It suprises me how many people still underestimate him.

If Nadal does end up winning the most GSs titles including all 4 majors...theoretically he will be the best, having matured the youngest and lasted the longest.

·
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
53,509 Posts
I doubt it very much but we'll see. The next two slams will tell us a lot about Nadal's chances of being all-conquering, I think.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No slam is harder to win than any other.
This is simply not true...The french open has the longest rallies, most physical matches and biggest upset potential of all the majors due to its emphasis on the shot making and not on cheap points off the serve

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
This is simply not true...The french open has the longest rallies, most physical matches and biggest upset potential of all the majors due to its emphasis on the shot making and not on cheap points off the serve
The slams are all as hard to win as each other, 128 entrants into the main draw and one player lifts the trophy.

You need different qualities to win the French than you do the other slams but this doesn't make it harder, an emphasis on longer rallies would logically make upsets LESS likely because over such extended hitting times the superior strokes tend to come through.

If you believe one slam more difficult to win than the others then you know extremely little about tennis and any non-clown on these boards will tell you the same thing (RFK this does not mean you).

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Your reasoning seems backward. Since French is based on shot making instead of cheap points off big serve then there is less chance for an upset not more.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I doubt it very much but we'll see. The next two slams will tell us a lot about Nadal's chances of being all-conquering, I think.
I think 2008-2009 will tell us more. He's still got a lot of room for improvement in his game, I don't think he will display his peak performances yet on hard.

·
Banned
253 Posts
The operative word here is "might". He also "might" neve win another slam again. More realisically, best Nadal could do is hope that Fed starts choking in major events and make it to the number one spot. There are too many players that seem to give Nadal problems on the faster surfaces to think he will be able to be a threat in all slams.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No because people who are considered good consistent servers...serving above 65% and above 120mph can depend on their serve and are virtually guaranteed to hold serve..

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
I think 2008-2009 will tell us more. He's still got a lot of room for improvement in his game, I don't think he will display his peak performances yet on hard.
He can and will improve for sure but he doesn't really have as much room for improvement as most guys his age. The way he plays the game he is pretty close to getting as good at doing it as he can. He is too old to totally refashion any part of his game, all he can do is get better at volleying and serving and then slightly improve other areas of his game.

He doesn't have any shot which I envisage changing a great deal in the future.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
No because people who are considered good consistent servers...serving above 65% and above 120mph can depend on their serve and are virtually guaranteed to hold serve..
Not that any slam has a much bigger upset factor than another but why does this make upsets less likely? A player with a low ranking could get any top player with a good serving day going by your logic.

Anyway, all the slams are equally tough to win and you can argue about a lot of things but your going to have a tough time giving any serious argument to that one because the claim that RG is tougher to win is ridiculous.

The only way you can be correct is if you are meaning in a PURELY physical way, if that is your meaning then say so because then you will have a legitimate point.

·
Registered
423 Posts
This guy has got a point.

He has acheived more than Fed at the same age for sure.

Nadal can beat Federer on hard courts and can beat him on grass.
And he will get better on these surfaces.

I wouldn't bet against him winning more slam titles.

He probably has a better chance at winning a Grand Slam then Federer in the long term.

But yes we need to see how he gets on at the next couple of slams.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Very few have one 3 grand slams at just turned 21 though.
Nadal is a phenomenal player and perhaps he will continue acheiving for a very long time but history indicates that he is the type of player that peaks around about now in his career. I don't think he is about to start sucking but the chances are he won't be at the top of his game at 25, of course, history has often been proven wrong and it would be stupid to assume anything but as a means of prediction it seems unlikely that Nadal will have a great deal of longevity.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
It is a possibility, but too early to call. It is difficult to know how long someone will play effectively when they have such a physical style. The defense, the retrieving, the huge effort in each shot, these will invariably take their toll. He may have not yet peaked and so will go on to collect many more slams or maybe he is peaking now.

It is impossible to predict future success based on current slam haul. Some like Hewitt and Chang prove that you can burn out quickly and some like Sampras show that you are in for the long haul. Wilander started winning slams around 18, and he was done by 24 (and like Nadal, this included grass and clay). So, who knows.

·
Registered
390 Posts
He can and will improve for sure but he doesn't really have as much room for improvement as most guys his age. The way he plays the game he is pretty close to getting as good at doing it as he can. He is too old to totally refashion any part of his game, all he can do is get better at volleying and serving and then slightly improve other areas of his game.

He doesn't have any shot which I envisage changing a great deal in the future.

Federer said in a recent article that he can feel the improvement in Nadal's game every time he plays him and I think the improvement in his game was quite obvious between last year and this year. I think there was a massive change in his hardcourt game (actually his game in general), mostly centred around becoming more aggressive, and I think it is still a work in progress.

I am not talking about refashioning any part of his game, but there are many elements to his game which you can see he is working on and are obviously getting better. He is still working on his serve, backhand, flattening out some of his shots and becoming more aggressive - including coming into the net. I think he will keep on working on this in addition to his forehand volley, which has a huge potential to improve. I genuinely believe he will be an even better player next year.

Incidently, there was also a recent article published in Spain in which Toni spoke of how they had always targetted 2008 as the year in which Rafael would begin to reach his peak.

EDIT: Stebs, I've actually just re-read your post and realised you weren't saying he didn't have room for improvement and in fact I agree with most of your post! lol - sorry!! I think we'll see quite obvious improvements on hard though due to the slight improvement of many elements of his game and also a big improvement with the usage of more aggressive hard court tactics.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Federer said in a recent article that he can feel the improvement in Nadal's game every time he plays him and I think the improvement in his game was quite obvious between last year and this year. I think there was a massive change in his hardcourt game (actually his game in general), mostly centred around becoming more aggressive, and I think it is still a work in progress.
Yes he did say this after Wimbledon to the swiss media that he thought nadal has improved since last year (although he also said that last year he just came out and "hit hard with no game plan to see what would happen"). But I think it is obvious to anyon ewho is watching that nadal has slightly changed his defensive game to a more aggressive one.

It is not possible to say how far he is from his "peak" or even what that is. For one thing, you are at your peak not just by how well you are playing, but what results you are getting. And what results you are getting are going to depend on how others are playing, and whether they are at their peaks.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts