Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They all feature neutral crowds, i.e. crowds that don't root for Djokovic's opponent.

Think about it, AO, Wimbledon, WTF, Monte Carlo, Rome, Shanghai. They almost never root against Djokovic.

Meanwhile, RG, US Open, Madrid, Cincinnati. All of these feature crowds that usually root for Djokovic's opponent.

The only exceptions were Wimbledon 2013, where Djokovic faced against Britain's #1 and lost because he got pissed off at the crowd, and Wimbledon 2014 final where the crowd wanted Federer to get back into the match, but they were a fair crowd.

Every year at RG that he gets to the final, he faces an opponent who the RG crowd roots for, and then they clap for Djokovic at the trophy ceremony :haha:

At Cincinnati and USO, Djokovic is seen as a robotic eastern european, a la Ivan Lendl. Crowds rarely root for him there, and his debacle with Roddick at USO 2008 certainly didn't help.

At Madrid, crowd hates him, whistles at him because he beat Rafa there once. He refuses to play there now.

What does it mean that the world number 1 is so dependent on the flow of the crowd in his matches, that he absolutely needs (or at the very least to not root for his opponent) them to be impartial?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,754 Posts
It's really bizarre actually. Die hard Djokovic fans don't like to admit Djokovic's need for the crowd, but he truly does love crowd support.

This has only been amplified by him being the World Number 1.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeh because they were for him against federer last year... or against federer in the USO he won saving MPs in the SF...

There's no pattern here.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
They all feature neutral crowds, i.e. crowds that don't root for Djokovic's opponent.

Think about it, AO, Wimbledon, WTF, Monte Carlo, Rome, Shanghai. They almost never root against Djokovic.

Meanwhile, RG, US Open, Madrid, Cincinnati. All of these feature crowds that usually root for Djokovic's opponent.

The only exceptions were Wimbledon 2013, where Djokovic faced against Britain's #1 and lost because he got pissed off at the crowd, and Wimbledon 2014 final where the crowd wanted Federer to get back into the match, but they were a fair crowd.

Every year at RG that he gets to the final, he faces an opponent who the RG crowd roots for, and then they clap for Djokovic at the trophy ceremony :haha:

At Cincinnati and USO, Djokovic is seen as a robotic eastern european, a la Ivan Lendl. Crowds rarely root for him there, and his debacle with Roddick at USO 2008 certainly didn't help.

At Madrid, crowd hates him, whistles at him because he beat Rafa there once. He refuses to play there now.

What does it mean that the world number 1 is so dependent on the flow of the crowd in his matches, that he absolutely needs (or at the very least to not root for his opponent) them to be impartial?

Any thoughts?
:facepalm:

He was simply crushed by Murray on the day and it had nothing to do with the crowd.

Also, his 2011 USO win was inspired from support from the crowd coming back to defeat Federer.

RG doesn't root against Djokovic, they're pretty neutral when he plays Nadal, they usually root for the player that's behind to get more tennis to watch. Of course they would root for the underdog Wawrinka this year, it's natural to root for the underdog.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh because they were for him against federer last year... or against federer in the USO he won saving MPs in the SF...

There's no pattern here.
The crowd was very fair last year. As for 2011, you may not remember this but the crowd was against Djokovic for the majority of that match. Only when he hit the insane return did the crowd begin rooting for him. Proof:

Djokovic was completely resigned because the crowd wanted Federer to win. Just look at his reaction after hitting the return winner, as if to say "What, NOW you're cheering for me?"

·
Banned
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It can be said that the entire reason Djokovic won the USO was because the crowd started cheering for him after that return. Just proves how much dependent he is on the state of the crowd.

·
Registered
19,487 Posts
The American crowd at USO and especially in Cincy (think of 2013 QF vs Isner) tends to be disgusting.
Notwithstanding losing 2 USO finals against Nadal did not depend on that.

·
Registered
889 Posts
It can be said that the entire reason Djokovic won the USO was because the crowd started cheering for him after that return. Just proves how much dependent he is on the state of the crowd.
Lol. Do you believe the stuff you type up? The crowd didn't start cheering for him after that shot. They were almost entirely behind Fed the entire match even after that shot. The final was 75-25 in favour of Nadal.

Djokovic had to endure a mainly Nadal crowd in 2011 Wimbledon. A almost majority Fed crowd in Wimbledon last year.

None of your points stand. You sir have terrible tennis knowledge.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol. Do you believe the stuff you type up? The crowd didn't start cheering for him after that shot. They were almost entirely behind Fed the entire match even after that shot. The final was 75-25 in favour of Nadal.

Djokovic had to endure a mainly Nadal crowd in 2011 Wimbledon. A almost majority Fed crowd in Wimbledon last year.

None of your points stand. You sir have terrible tennis knowledge.
You should watch those matches again. Not much else to say.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You should watch those matches again. Not much else to say.
You're not the only one who watches matches or highlights. I reel through hour after hour of tennis footage for all the promos and videos I make. I don't need someone who doesn't know the difference between a pro and against crowd telling me his opinion on matters.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're not the only one who watches matches or highlights. I reel through hour after hour of tennis footage for all the promos and videos I make. I don't need someone who doesn't know the difference between a pro and against crowd telling me his opinion on matters.
Why the hostility? Just admit you're wrong and be done with it.

·
6,665 Posts
Pure coincidence, and the crowd at last year's Wimbledon was mainly supporting Federer - they wanted the fairy tale to continue, for just one more time. (was only just watching an abbreviated replay yesterday).
The USO has not been a happy hunting ground, but put that more down to other factors.
RG is totally neutral, in fact the French never really warmed to Rafa there.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
This +

·
Registered
622 Posts
Well, he definitely is influenced from the crowd more than what you'd expect from a no.1 :shrug:

·
Registered
11,661 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts