Votes: 23 32.9%
  • Not likely

Votes: 47 67.1%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do you think fans of those kinds of players simply love the player as a person and therefore come to accept their style, rather than falling in love with the style of the player because of their attacking game.

Or do you think people generally are on the edge of their seat with long rallies?

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
It's love for the player, nobody dreams of defensive tennis.

·
29,637 Posts
When it's not completely monopolising the game and winning all the slams, it's not too bad.

There were some clay court classics in the 90s. Even Nadal vs Coria in Rome was a phenomenal contest, but seeing the one style of play dominate across all surfaces is hugely tedious.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Loved watching and still love watching it on clay ( the ONLY place it should be played).. Outside of clay???? God no.. Its terrible

·
POWER...UNLIMITED...POWER
5,067 Posts
Depends on the definition of defensive

If it is intelectually setting up your opponent and breaking his pathetic will then yes.
If offensive means bashing the ball as hard you can like a mentally challenged donkey then yes I enjoy defensive.

If defensive is playing like NOLE or RAFA then yes I enjoy defensive.

Define defensive and then I will explain your illogic.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
When it's not completely monopolising the game and winning all the slams, it's not too bad.

There were some clay court classics in the 90s. Even Nadal vs Coria in Rome was a phenomenal contest, but seeing the one style of play dominate across all surfaces is hugely tedious.
+1

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Loved watching and still love watching it on clay ( the ONLY place it should be played).. Outside of clay???? God no.. Its terrible
Never thought I'd agree with Set Sampras.

·
Premium Member
20,674 Posts

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
It's more enjoyable then watching someone routinely miss the court by several feet.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
it mostly depends on variety rather than the "offensive v. defensive" dichotomy which is rather simplistic.

for example, while to some ponyboy is awesome for his offensive tennis, i personally find him a bore to watch given his constant ball bashing brand of tennis. little variety in his game.

by contrast, a player like andy murray, who generally likes playing defensively, is much more entertaining because he can actually mix up the play and do stuff that most players don't do these days.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Defensive game is when you always wait for your opponents mistake than create a point of your own. I still don't get how people like a defensive game. I think other than the same nationality of the player and the fans who don't have too much idea about the game and just like the fact that somebody is winning nobody likes a defensive game.

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
Tennis is at its best to watch when its an offensive player trying to break down a defensive player, with the court surface offering no advantage.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Rather defensive tennis that watching the most boring tennis ever - serve and volley.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I only did watchin Lleyton Hewitt cause he was such a great fighter! And he had great skills, good serve and solid volleys.

But compare Hewitt to compatriot Rafter and all his matches are boring as hell ;)

But is it really fair to consider Nadal as a defensive player??

Thank god there is no Wozniacki on the ATP tour :D

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Depends on the definition of defensive

If it is intelectually setting up your opponent and breaking his pathetic will then yes.
If offensive means bashing the ball as hard you can like a mentally challenged donkey then yes I enjoy defensive.

If defensive is playing like NOLE or RAFA then yes I enjoy defensive.

Define defensive and then I will explain your illogic.
Defensive = When Federer run around chasing the ball down with his magician like racquet work. Some of the best defense you'll ever see. Don't you agree?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts