Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the decision to play clay might convince Roger to retire earlier than if he did not play it.

On fast hard courts and grass he can still servebot his way to wins and get deep, even tho his baseline game has been slowing down every year aswell as his movement.
But on clay the serve won't win him many points and he will need to grind and baseline, and even Kolschreiber and Verdasco were bullying him from the baseline alot.
If he goes up against some decent movers or young good baseliners on clay they will beat him up badly and probably crush his spirit aswell and he might start to realize the truth about where his baseline level is at the moment, and perhaps he will retire earlier than if he skipped clay altogether.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
He may skip some tournaments, but he won't retire because of the 2 reasons:

1. Tokyo 2020
2. his slam count record is in danger

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
I think the decision to play clay might convince Roger to retire earlier than if he did not play it.

On fast hard courts and grass he can still servebot his way to wins and get deep, even tho his baseline game has been slowing down every year aswell as his movement.
But on clay the serve won't win him many points and he will need to grind and baseline, and even Kolschreiber and Verdasco were bullying him from the baseline alot.
If he goes up against some decent movers or young good baseliners on clay they will beat him up badly and probably crush his spirit aswell and he might start to realize the truth about where his baseline level is at the moment, and perhaps he will retire earlier than if he skipped clay altogether.

Thoughts?
I think he has his reasons. I'm sure Tiriac paid him a pretty penny for showing up in Madrid. Besides, conditions there favor him, he even beat Dull in the past on that particular clay. Also, I don't realistically see him holding out until RG 2020, so he probably wants to say goodbye in 2019.

Or not.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
he might be forced to tune his baseline game even more on clay which once grass season rolls around his serve will be very dangerous and his ground game will be better than it was in wimbledon 2018...

·
Premium Member
20,578 Posts
Earlier than what? He hasn't declared any retirement date that he can deviate from. He's already playing with house money, really. Every tournament we get from him is just a bonus.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Earlier than what? He hasn't declared any retirement date that he can deviate from. He's already playing with house money, really. Every tournament we get from him is just a bonus.
I've been hearing this stuff since I've started reading this forum...but the imaginary retirement seems no closer :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts
Playing on clay is IMO just a way to stay fit and competitive before grass season.

Last year skipping Clay, which was intended to make him fresh and rested, let him in a rusty mode.

Not sure he will try that much and waste that much Energy on Clay.

TBH, loosing early in Wimbledon again would be the key Reason of an earlier retirement.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I don't think that his results on clay will affect his timing for retirement in any way. If anything, he'll call it a day when he feels he is not competitive anymore on grass or hard court.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts