Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things like these can be stressful and detrimental to one's performance because of not being fully focused on the match.

What Do You Think?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
No.

I think that's a ridiculous assertion. It's not like the first year he's doing it.

Every player has there bad days once in a while, and Kohlschreiber was hitting the ball with authority while Novak was just a bit off timed.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I highly doubt it.

Djokovic just had a below average day, and an in form Kohli is definitely the sort of player who can take full advantage of someone's off day.

I'm sure this loss will spur Novak on, and I'd be quite surprised if he doesn't do really well in Miami (SF or better).

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Of course it takes mental energy

The work itself would not be draining (even if they complain discussing 'late at night' on Whatsapp, poor things)

But the mental distraction of the ongoing controversy is real, especially for someone like Novak longing to be adored

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
As bizarre as it may sound, I would actually say the answer is Yes. He is highly sensitive about how people look upon him, and the recent media focus on the whole Kermode debacle paints him as somewhat of a non-transparent villainous Player Council president.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
No.

Like i said before the tournament, Novak announced that he will prepare for clay more serious this year. That means practicing on it longer than before,which means starting clay preparations before,not after Miami. So,his hc game (if he stick to his plan) should be a little rusty + he doesnt need to go deep and tire himself out in densest part of the season. From IW until Wimbledon there are 5 masters and 2 slams,plus 1 grass tournament for preparations for Wibledon. That is 10 weeks of tournaments in 18 weeks period. Strategic tanks will occur,and not only from him

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Hahaha

The "mentally strongest player ever" can't handle sitting on the player council?

Hahahaha

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Philip Kohlschreiber played smart, he hit many high balls, because the ball in the desert of Indian Wells is difficult to control this year, weather is cooler than usual. It bothered Novak Djokovic a lot, the same way it bothered Kei Nishikori.
Rafa Nadal may be the favorite in this kind of conditions.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
No.

It's not a stupid question, but I think "no."
I didn't see the match, but it's only normal that Djok lose now and then! People have come to think of him as unbeatable and he's not. He is human and has bad days and if the right guy is on the other side of the net, he is going to lose once in awile.

People looking for extraordinary explanation to account for a Djok loss ...that is the weird thing, not that he loses once in awhile.

On another thread alot of posters thought he tanked. Even more unlikely.

·
Registered
21,279 Posts
It’s possible that the issues surrounding this didn’t allow him to concentrate as well as he wanted and did bother him. Especially considering the letter which was from player representative and we can be sure most of his thoughts are in that letter, he is definitely not happy, especially with Federer and Nadal publicly going against him and ‘teaming’ up in terms of political issues must unsettle him a bit. Taking note that the amount of talk that has been going on and painting him as someone with an agenda and as the villain, it must be annoying for sure.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
He didn´t lost the match for that but he lost a lot of respect!

·
Registered
14,394 Posts
Actually yes, I think it is possible. Kohli wasn't even that great (more UEs than Winners) and Nole played even worse. It's possible that the dispute with Nadal and Federer influenced his level of play.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
We are accustomed to Djokovic showing some erratic and unpredictable displays. That's why the crowds do not warm to him and are nervous of him. He can display some quite strange behaviour at times.

·
justice for all
13,116 Posts
He lost to a better player.

Kohli, when he peaks, is able to sweep off the court pushers like Djokovic.

The problem is Kohli peaks once in a blue moon and has a choking tendencies in a winning positions.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Kohli, when he peaks, is able to sweep off the court pushers like Djokovic.
Lame trolling. Novak had more winners and zillion UE.

Also - "pushers like Djokovic" - yeah 15 slam/32 Masters "pushers" everywhere and Kohli is sweeping them. :lol:

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Lets keep this one simple: No.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts