Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you think draws are ever rigged?

621 - 636 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Re: The incredible disparity in "draw difficulty" between top 4 since 2009....

You're right. The draws could be random...

It's still very frustrating for fans. I would have liked some Roger/Novak finals. Maybe this year at Wimbledon. Roger could be seeded #2 even if Andy passes him in the rankings, because of the Wimbledon seeding system.
Federer-Djokovic matches are the highlights of the current era.:worship:

What a shame that we have only seen one slam final between them in six years.:eek:

·
Registered
943 Posts
I'm not sure if draws are really rigged, but if we add up ranking positions of Top4's opponents during previous season (2012) and devide it with number of matches each of them played, average ranking of their opponents was:

For Djokovic #36
For Federer #38
For Murray #39
For Nadal #50 :spit:
For Ferrer #61

·
Registered
4,780 Posts

But I have no explanation why for instance, Djokovic has usually been less favoured than Murray in his carreer.
Really? You have no explanation why a British player would be preferred over a Serbian one? No thoughts at all? :)

Now it's all water under the bridge, really, because all the tough draws that Nole got since 2008 made him the player he is today.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
Plus, Novak had bleeding feet at the Australian Open and saved 2 US Open match points while dealing with a torn rib muscle. He never cried like a brat for a half hour in front of Rod Laver, McEnroe & other Slam winners.
You can't say that about the clowns of 2003-2006.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

Really? You have no explanation why a British player would be preferred over a Serbian one? No thoughts at all? :)

Now it's all water under the bridge, really, because all the tough draws that Nole got since 2008 made him the player he is today.
look at all polls, Djokovic is preferred to Murray all over the world :shrug:

if Murray was American, I could think the same as you, because the USA are very important for the marketting of tennis, but the UK is much less important :shrug:

I feel more likely the explanation that Murray is more vulnerable to losses to lower-ranked players ;)

it's all about money anyway.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Slam draws are hardly rigged, too many people involved...How exactly would that happen?

Challenger events, more likely.

·
30,568 Posts
I'm not sure if draws are really rigged, but if we add up ranking positions of Top4's opponents during previous season (2012) and devide it with number of matches each of them played, average ranking of their opponents was:

For Djokovic #36
For Federer #38
For Murray #39
For Nadal #50 :spit:
For Ferrer #61
Good manipulation of statistics.

Ferrer played the 789th player in the world, skewing his statistics. He also played Fernando Gonzalez and Tommy Robredo when they were outside the to 200, but we know they are not outside the top 200 players.

By comparison, the lowest ranked player Federer played was 185th in the world. I bet that little difference makes a huge difference.

·
ツ
7,561 Posts
I think they are sometimes, but I don't think the WTF draw was rigged. (Bumped because the WTF draw thread should be about the draw, not whether it was rigged.)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

... and I thought it was the gluten free diet.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
I'm sure it has been mentioned already but that isner/mahut rematch at wimbly was totally rigged.

kind of surprised to see so many no's.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Well if it's rigged then they should fire whoever stuck Nadal in the same half of the FO draw as Djokovic. :facepalm:
Wimbledon and USO wasn't much better.
But obviously the draw isn't rigged. The ATP has almost nothing to gain from such audacious extremes. There will always be someone whining about the draw no matter what.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Djokovic is always aggressive when he is physically ready. Today Wawrinka was more aggressive player simply because Djokovic had rigged draw from RG organizers and he was unable to completely recover physically from 2 very physically hard matches against Nadal and Murray. Especially against Murray. Wawrinka used cake walk draw, which was rigged for Federer, and his first very hard match physically was this final match.. Simply differences between top players are very slim, and few things on and off court, like rigged draws against player they don't want to win can turn tide on other direction .

Final should be played on Monday to allow both players same chance to give their best tennis.

But because RG cheaters don't have lights even on main courts or roof this is the worst GS of all.

I hope Djokovic will win RG next year.

621 - 636 of 636 Posts