Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look at the past Davis Cup finals, you will notice how the teams that won the event, the players involved in the deciding rubber usually ending up having a much better season the following year and end up much stronger players mentally and confidence wise.

Example,
2008 Verdasco def. Acasuso in five sets in deciding rubber and then has a much better season the following year.
2010 Djovokic wins Davis Cup and then has a monstrous season the following year.
2002 Mikhail Youzhny wins Davis Cup for Russia in the final and deciding rubber and 2002-2003 would be one of his best seasons.

any thoughts?

So does that mean if Del Potro wins Davis Cup for Argentina this years final, he will go on to win a Slam and have Djovokic like year!?

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
im proud of all of those players for their accomplishments, and it does transform this mentally and physically to perform better the next season, i think truly that it incredible really:worship:

CONGRATS TO THOSE PLAYERS:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
If you look at the past Davis Cup finals, you will notice how the teams that won the event, the players involved in the deciding rubber usually ending up having a much better season the following year and end up much stronger players mentally and confidence wise.

Example,
2008 Verdasco def. Acasuso in five sets in deciding rubber and then has a much better season the following year.
2010 Djovokic wins Davis Cup and then has a monstrous season the following year.
2002 Mikhail Youzhny wins Davis Cup for Russia in the final and deciding rubber and 2002-2003 would be one of his best seasons.

any thoughts?

So does that mean if Del Potro wins Davis Cup for Argentina this years final, he will go on to win a Slam and have Djovokic like year!?
the answer is yes and Del Potro can get confidence from winning the Davis Cup but you need to be a great player before that

·
Registered
320 Posts
Kind of interesting how the 3 Serbs in the space of 15 months have all managed to double there ranking points...

Otherwise it's a coincidence.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kind of interesting how the 3 Serbs in the space of 15 months have all managed to double there ranking points...

Otherwise it's a coincidence.
Ever since Nole, Tipsy and Troicki won Davis Cup last year, all 3 have had really good seasons and all 3 are in the top 20 with Nole being no.1

In my opinion, I say YES. Davis Cup can transform players' careers for better or worse. Worse, example, Paul Henri Mathieu, his career wasnt the same after his loss to Youzhny in his apperance in the Davis Cup finals.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Nope. Spain has won a bunch of times because they have a deep bench, but the Spanish players didn't seem to get better because of it.

·
Your visions will happen
50,972 Posts
Yes, definitely. Along with the 3 examples in the first post, I'd like to mention the 2004 Davis Cup Finals when Nadal replaced Ferrero to beat Roddick in a big time match.

We all know what happened with Rafa in 2005.

·
Registered
23,908 Posts
Yes, definitely. Along with the 3 examples in the first post, I'd like to mention the 2004 Davis Cup Finals when Nadal replaced Ferrero to beat Roddick in a big time match.

We all know what happened with Rafa in 2005.
OMFG THIS IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE:yeah: , he went from #51 in the end of 2004, to being number #2 in end of 2005:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

stupid and pathetic of me for forgetting this:eek::facepalm::rolleyes:

but thx Johnny for that statement

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
the serbians were smart and it didn't hurt djoker because he had great coaching and athleticism on all surfaces.
in contrast, the usa is pathetic.
the us team had the liar and cheater captain patrick mcenroe, who influenced the umpire to reverse a call for roddick in a tie in belgium .

·
Registered
289 Posts
Another good example can be James Blake who was in a very good form in 2008 after winning the Davis Cup when he got to the quarterfinal in a Grand Slam apart from US Open for the first time in Melbourne. He got to quarters in Indian Wells and Miami, semifinal at Paris-Bercy, was 4th at the Olympics and ended in TOP 10.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
so ... only Davydenko was the same after 2006 davis cup win :D oh no ... he got from 2005 - 1 sf an year - 2006 - 1 sf an year he got to 2007 - 2 sf's an year :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts