Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I respect neither

Votes: 26 49.1%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gimelstob mentioned in one of his writings that Jon wertheim and Peterbodo were two of the most respected journalists in the sport.

I wanna see how many members on this board respect them.

I don't respect either.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
It's hard to say who I respect less between the two :scratch: I think I'd still give the slight edge to Bozzo for his latest crap article

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
good thread. Ive read both of them and find theirs articles interesting. I'm no tennis expert so there might be things I don't see, but regardless of whom they support or are fond of, I respect them both.

·
Registered
17,866 Posts
You forgot the fifth option, 'any mug member of MTF could obviously write better columns than the two of them put together.'

·
Banned
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do i edit the poll to show who voted what?

·
Registered
17,866 Posts

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
You forgot the fifth option, 'any mug member of MTF could obviously write better columns than the two of them put together.'
Whoever thinking to create a pool "Do you respect JMac or PMac (as commentator)?", please make sure you have the option "any mug member of MTF could obviously commentate better than the two of them put together."

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
I respect Bodo because he sticks his ground and tries to get to the bottom of things, like Dubai. I may not agree with his opinions or how he expresses them, but I always respect people who go after issues that are important to them and don't give up. I used to have more respect for Wertheim as a tennis writer than I do now. Lately he's been publishing some really poorly-researched and factually incorrect stuff and he's also spent a lot of time on real fluff, and that loses my respect. That said, I don't think they're the worst tennis writers out there at all.

·
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
41,217 Posts
Call me ignorant but... who the hell are these two characters? :confused:
American tennis journalists, loathed by the MTF masses.

My view is I may not always agree with their opinion or appreciate the tone in which their articles are written, but at least they are writing about tennis. I think they both care about the game and are genuine tennis fans which makes it impossible for them to be completely objective. I respect them in the same way I respect the opinion of anyone posting here.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Wertheim I'm fairly neutral on. I think he can sometimes wimp out on the more controversial issues, and I'm not crazy about his writing style, but he could be worse.

But I truly loathe Bodo.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
That's the spirit Fee :rocker2:

Honestly, a lot of writers get bashed way too much on MTF but Bodo deserves it for some of the cringeworthy articles he's been posting lately :
I just sense that while Indian Wells and Miami are two of just a handful of sub-Slams, they aren't of overwhelming concern to the co-number ones.

Co-number ones? What??????

Rafa2 Yes, that's right. Forget about the way Novak Djokovic has closed on Nadal and Federer. The psychic reality is that in the past few years, Nadal has been an utterly dominant No. 1 on clay, and Federer has been an utterly dominant No. 1 on everything else. Federer is the official No. 1 "only" because there are more events played on surfaces other than clay.
I really don't like him for a number of reasons, one of which is his tendency to overuse stupid metaphors and his love for incredibly far(fetched theories.

My main beef with Wertheim are his jaw droppingly bad predictions

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I understand why some people find Bodo's articles bad. They are unorthodox to say the least. But he is writing insightfully, and is bringing (subjectively) stuff that can not be found anywhere else. There was a piece from him marking Rafa as "provincial" that caused much controversy. I found nothing wrong with the article, because I sensed he meant nothing insulting by it. In fact he was merely making distinction between respective game-oriented mind-sets. That was my opinion.

Also, it is noted he is not "fond" of Gasquet, but who can barely blame him for that. The guy is a joke. A choker of first order.

·
Registered
20,460 Posts
I understand why some people find Bodo's articles bad. They are unorthodox to say the least. But he is writing insightfully, and is bringing (subjectively) stuff that can not be found anywhere else. There was a piece from him marking Rafa as "provincial" that caused much controversy. I found nothing wrong with the article, because I sensed he meant nothing insulting by it. In fact he was merely making distinction between respective game-oriented mind-sets. That was my opinion.
Bodo LOVES those kinds of articles, I wouldn't mind them so much if he didn't feel the need to write them so often.
Also, it is noted he is not "fond" of Gasquet, but who can barely blame him for that. The guy is a joke. A choker of first order.
Gasquet's actually not a choker, his problem certainly isn't his ability to close matches, it's his ability to fight when things aren't going his way

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
@Elessar

I find Bodo's articles amusing and interesting. And if that is the point of being a tennis/sport writer, it a - yes, I respect him. But it's a matter of opinion and taste. Also, they made that blog as a sort of community, I've been posting there for some time, and I find the format quite good, thanks to, in part, Bodo's articles.

"Gasquet's actually not a choker, his problem certainly isn't his ability to close matches, it's his ability to fight when things aren't going his way"

depends on the definition of "choke", but whatever, he deserves critisism. Maybe not that much as Bodo is giving him LOL.

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
They both have their ups and downs but I don't recall Wertheim ever resorting to ridiculous ethnic and regional stereotypes in order to advance an analogy that's clever only to himself, nor have I really read Wertheim making snide remarks about players he doesn't care for. Wertheim comes across as far more professional to me, whereas Bodo strikes me more as "a fan with access."
For me the major difference lies in the fact that Wertheim is a columnist employed by a major sports publication, he has editors and people above him. Bodo, on the other hand, is really not much more than a professional blogger. And I think you can get away with more stuff in a blog than in a major publication. Doesn't make it right and certainly doesn't mean I agree with it, but I think in general it's easy to get away with stuff on a blog. Does Tennis mag actually publish anything Bodo writes in the magazine? If so, is it as catty/snide?

I don't know about them being the best journalists in the sport - if they are, that's a shame because I think people could ask for better - but they're certainly not the worst, as Deb says.
I can think of a lot that are better (thankfully). Charlie Bricker and Lisa Dillman, from US newspapers, are pretty good, as are Richards Paliagro and Evans from Tennis Week, Bonnie Ford from ESPN.com is not bad and Neil Harman from the UK press is generally pretty good too as is Bodo's colleague Steve Tignor. And I really like Joel Drucker, once you get past his Connors obsession. Just to start; there are more. For me the worst - and by a mile - is Matt Cronin.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Bodo's writing style is funny but he's stepped on peoples' toes. He called Rafa provincial, playing in "not the right way," and a "child of the sun" (referring to his Spanish Mallorcan roots). He said Jelena Jankovic handcuffs her opponents and tortures them in see-saw battles, that she looks like a "princess of the Mongolian steppe" and also said she looks like she's mud wrestling in a chiffon cocktail dress. He's said a lot of other things that I haven't read, but suffice it to say that a lot of what he writes has little to do with sport. It's not really gossip, but more like funny/"funny" "analysis" which walks the tightrope and frequently pisses off a bunch of people.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,983 Posts
They both have their ups and downs but I don't recall Wertheim ever resorting to ridiculous ethnic and regional stereotypes in order to advance an analogy that's clever only to himself, nor have I really read Wertheim making snide remarks about players he doesn't care for. Wertheim comes across as far more professional to me, whereas Bodo strikes me more as "a fan with access."
I know for a fact that Mr. Bodo has been a guest here. He has contacted at least one poster, perhaps more that :shrug: looking for dirt confirmation on more than one occassion. :p

I've seen way worse, especially by journo standards, but I don't put him at the top of my list of go-to writers, by a long shot.

I agree with the last statement you made, J. Spot on. :yeah:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts