Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to move in a couple of weeks to a place I don't know much about, no friends or relatives etc. It is a risk and I also was thinking following this, that I have moved very often in 27 years of my life.

How often do you move, change place? Let's ask this way, how many different cities there have been you stayed at least a year (uninterrupted, obv)? for me this is six and counting, what about you? and which aspects do you like when it comes to this experience?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I hate moving. I hate moving from city to city, from job to job, and from gym to gym, etc.

I am a stable person, like stability, and getting used to the same place and few places, and getting used to the same person or few people. Once I am used to a particular place and particular person or group of people, I hate "change" and try to avoid it as much as I can. That's just me though.

Sometimes, life circumstances may compel people to move places, move jobs, etc., in which case, they have no choice but to accept the change, make the adjustments accordingly, and start to like and enjoy the change.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Would love to be in your position. I'm stuck in a 9 to 5 kind of stable day job. Always want to get another one that would allow me to jump city from city. I hate stability and settling down.

Haven't moved much tbh. The only time I lived in a different city was quite some time ago when I moved to the UK for studies on my own. Before that I had not even travelled out of Asia at all. Cried the first night moving into an empty house even though it was always what I wanted, to experience a new life overseas. The relief of making it to a new place and the pressure of facing a new life got to me. But I quickly got over it and I was miserable flying home a year after. Now I just want to experience that all over again.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I moved three times in two years (mid-2017 thru mid-2019), each time to a different place in my county: 1) sold my condo to move in with my (then) girlfriend, 2) moved to a rented apartment when she sold her place, 3) purchased a house together a month before we got married. I don't like my house tbh ... it's an old single-family home with a yard. I'm more of an apartment/condo guy. We agreed that we'd sell the house and move to an apartment/condo in a more urban (or beach town) setting when our son is out of the house or when we retire ... so 20-25 years away lol.

Generally, I think I prefer having a stable home, job and routine. It's one of the reasons I got out of the radio business when I was in my early 20s. Now, I've been with the same company for 12 years (although I've done a bunch of different jobs, with increasing levels of seniority). Honestly if I hadn't wanted a family, I probably would've stayed in my old condo forever.

Good luck on your adventure!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Imagine the ATP tour who've got to traveI aImost aII the time to anywhere anytime for their 'IiveIihood'.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,404 Posts
I am about to move in a couple of weeks to a place I don't know much about, no friends or relatives etc. It is a risk and I also was thinking following this, that I have moved very often in 27 years of my life.

How often do you move, change place? Let's ask this way, how many different cities there have been you stayed at least a year (uninterrupted, obv)? for me this is six and counting, what about you? and which aspects do you like when it comes to this experience?
Why are you moving?

·
52,404 Posts
I've had to move to five distinct houses in my life, though none of these involved moving from city to city, at best a move of no more than 30 minutes drive from where I used to live, and twice even a move two blocks away.

The trickiest move was one done right before my higher school certificate exams, the moment we moved in I had the exams the following week.

The one move I lament was a forced move in some ways because we had a dick neighbour and couldn't wait to get away, but from a home we had lived in for 11 years.

I haven't really thought about relocating to another country as yet though. Stability is an awkward thing to obtain. I have finished my PhD so theoretically have lots of options but figuring where to go is something entirely different.

·
Premium Member
20,533 Posts
wow, when I saw the thread title I thought you meant just moving apartments/houses in the same city.

I've lived in the same apartment since 2003. :p

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
Moved a lot, this is my third own apartment, but before that I lived in 2 apartments with my mother, then in some rented rooms and 2 years in a foreign city when I was working there. That was 7.5 years ago when I had returned from there though and remained again in my home country ever since.

·
justice for all
12,673 Posts
I've had to move to five distinct houses in my life, though none of these involved moving from city to city, at best a move of no more than 30 minutes drive from where I used to live, and twice even a move two blocks away.

The trickiest move was one done right before my higher school certificate exams, the moment we moved in I had the exams the following week.

The one move I lament was a forced move in some ways because we had a dick neighbour and couldn't wait to get away, but from a home we had lived in for 11 years.

I haven't really thought about relocating to another country as yet though. Stability is an awkward thing to obtain. I have finished my PhD so theoretically have lots of options but figuring where to go is something entirely different.
What did he/she do to make your life miserable?

·
52,404 Posts
What did he/she do to make your life miserable?
Neighbour had a son about 16 or 17, adopted I presume. Seemed alright at first, we let him use our telephone to call his father. Guy hung out with some other youths round his age maybe slightly older, one who lived a block away.

Then one day my dad asks them to quieten down as they had the music up very loud one night. Next day we find they had egged our house.

One day my uncle visits to say hello to my mother and he's standing at the door. He sees the guys hanging around and thinks they may be up to no good and keeps an eye on them till he was ready to go. They ask him what he is staring at and he says this is his neighborhood and for them to mind their own business. They then ask my mother who the guy is (now she made a naive mistake here, shouldn't have said relative but rather the plumber or some tradie).

The guys return later and one of them is holding a screwdriver behind his back and declares my uncle should not show his face again. They were fortunate though never to bump into my uncle again because he knows martial arts designed to kill.

The following weekend we found spray paint on the front of the house and car. This escalated to fireworks in mailboxes, stealing our rubbish bins, or otherwise lighting matches in rubbish bins, and launching bricks through windows and even a sledgehammer as I witnessed firsthand.

We called police numerous times and even set up video camera but all useless. They eventually moved out about 4months later because of an expired lease but we just wanted to leave by that point. Honestly, the kid had to be messed up in the head along with the other jerks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts