Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which American players do you like and/or root for?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a terribly original topic, but I suddenly found myself reflecting on how uncanny it is that I so dislike nearly all of the American players. I am in no way "unpatriotic" when it comes to sports; I always pull for the US in the Olympics and I really find myself wanting to root for American players, but they're all just so unbearable. I wanted to see which of these players, if any, enjoyed very much support here at MTF. I think that many here share my impressions, but I know that there are many who do not, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Why I do not like any of them, and I am even being as objective as possible:

Fish: Jerk. Hotheaded, occasionally very rude to his opponents, and a bit tantrum throwing. On the plus side, has a more interesting game than Roddick, but it's nowhere near as explosive as a Tsonga/Berdych/Soderling etc.

Roddick: Massive prick. Terrible attitude, condescending and immature, arrogant, etc. His weak-ass groundstrokes and suicidal net charges also make for a very uninspired game-style.

Isner: One-dimensional in the extreme. His ROS is often abysmally bad. Additionally, I can't stand watching him lull about with that listless expression on his face. A fighter, to his credit, but many of the Americans are.

Young: Entitled, bratty, and overhyped. Somewhat goofy.

Blake: I like Blake best of the lot, actually. Good attitude, good perseverance. He's not terribly relevant at this point, though. Game-wise, kind of a mindless ballbasher. I like aggression, but trying to smack a winner every time your racket touches the ball makes for a lot of boring UE fests.

Sweeting: (I don't know very much about Sweeting, so I cannot really comment here. He's never grabbed my attention).

Harrison: Exciting game, but unpolished. Shows worrisome signs of being hotheaded; we don't need another Roddick, kid. If he settles down a bit mentally and continues to improve his game, he's definitely the best hope the USA's got. (On a trivial note, his hair is fugly).

Querrey: Decent talent, but he's a total mug who absolutely hates tennis, and it shows.

Russell: Similar to Sweeting, I've not seen much of him. Has Russell ever been a significant part of any tennis discussion, though? I remember his unappealing sleeveless shirts. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harrison is my 2nd favorite player after JMDP.
Inasmuch as Blake has a foot in retirement already, Harrison is about the only American player that I would consistently root for to win a match.

However, if he Roddicks up his attitude as he gains more success, he will precipitously lose my support.

·
Registered
12,421 Posts
I like Harrison, Sweeting and Young. They all have great potential (even Sweeting!). Bad thing is none of them look like realising it at the moment, although Ryan Harrison has got time on his side.

·
Registered
22,208 Posts
Only Russell, he is a legend.

·
Registered
17,754 Posts
Fish: I like him, but starting to find him extremely annoying.
Roddick: Next.
Isner: No, back to Roddick. Fuck that prick. One-dimensional clown. (also, I like Isner...hope he does some serious damage in majors in the future)
Young: I like his swagger :lol: Reminds me of a Monfils in training...and that's not necessarily a good thing, either :lol:
Blake: Love Blake. Too bad that he was never consistent enough to do major damage in a slam
Sweeting: All I know about him is that he loves Tourna Grip :cool:
Harrison: Like the kid. Extremely well-spoken but has too much of an entitled attitude. Hopefully he'll mature out of that. His game is great. I expect some big things from him.
Querrey: Not too high on my radar.
Russell: Meh.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Don't particularly like or dislike either one of those players, but their nationality is irrelevant for that matter.
Isner looks like a rather decent fellow to me, feel a bit sorry for Roddick having had his peak in the exact same era as one Mr. RF, and hold positive hopes for Harrison as I feel like it's time for a breakthrough for the guy.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
Fish: I like him, but starting to find him extremely annoying.
Roddick: Next.
Isner: No, back to Roddick. Fuck that prick. One-dimensional clown. (also, I like Isner...hope he does some serious damage in majors in the future)
Young: I like his swagger :lol: Reminds me of a Monfils in training...and that's not necessarily a good thing, either :lol:
Blake: Love Blake. Too bad that he was never consistent enough to do major damage in a slam
Sweeting: All I know about him is that he loves Tourna Grip :cool:
Harrison: Like the kid. Extremely well-spoken but has too much of an entitled attitude. Hopefully he'll mature out of that. His game is great. I expect some big things from him.
Querrey: Not too high on my radar.
Russell: Meh.
:yeah: Great post.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isner, Blake, Young, Sweeting, Querrey. :)
Querrey?!

Berdych fans are a rare breed here at MTF, Certinfy (and I count myself wholeheartedly among them), but you have gone to a place that I cannot follow.

You might just be the only person here at MTF that likes Querrey. Might I inquire as to why (or how)?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
ROFL. Sure back in the 80s and 90s when you actually had GOOD tennis players representing America. Since then we have had pretty much nothing.. Roddick, Blake, Fish, Isner, Querry etc.. All pretenders.

Hate to say it but America will never be #1 as far as tennis is concerned again.. And I'm pretty confident in saying that.. The days of Sampras, Andre, Courier, Connors, Mac etc. are long gone

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
I fucking love Roddick.

(I'm a Federer fan.)

No, his game is more boring than Nadull's (who'd have thought it possible) but his press conferences are superb.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't particularly like or dislike either one of those players, but their nationality is irrelevant for that matter.
I certainly did not mean, "Do you like or root for any of these players inasmuch as they are American," I was simply using it as a unifying principle, as tennis itself often does (flags displayed with players, Davis Cup, Hopman Cup, etc.)

As an American, I feel a pull to root for them, but in most cases cannot because I find most of them so unlikeable.

·
Banned
5,508 Posts
I fucking love Roddick.

(I'm a Federer fan.)

No, his game is more boring than Nadull's (who'd have thought it possible) but his press conferences are superb.
This.
Never really liked his game, but I consider him one of the most intelligent guys off court.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts