Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you follow motorsports? Which series?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently there has been some talk about F1's declining viewing figures. I'd like to see how interested the fans of another sport are about motorsports. That's why I hope also non-fans of motorsports open this. thread and vote for "I don't follow".

I can say I'm really interested in these:

• F1
  • Le Mans / WEC
  • IndyCar
Also used to follow the WRC and MotoGP but don't anymore have time.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
F1, back in 2009-11/12 I was a huge huge fan, not so much but still catch most of the races

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
F1
GP2
GP3
FR3.5
Moto GP
World Superbikes (and Supersport)
British Superbikes (and Supersport)
BTCC
WRC

I tend to know what's going on in WTCC and Indycar but don't often watch them.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
I watch F1, sometimes, but I don't really care much about motorsports.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quite surprising that MotoGP's got only one vote as I think their viewing figures are even close to half of F1's. At least definitely more than 1/6 of F1's viewing figures.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
Used to be huge fan of F1 during Hakkinen/Coulthard teaming, also was following WRC while it was still competitive - Makinen, Burns, Gronholm, Sainz. Didn't follow either of them since that time. Was also checking LeMans results and cars, but never really watched any of the races. MotoGP - couldn't care less, though I've heard of course of Rossi, Doohan etc. :)

·
10,276 Posts
Nascar :superlol:

Watching cars drive around circles and 8's:spit:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Going off on a tangent I find that few if any arenas in other sports can compare to the beauty of motorsport's greatest venues - Monza, Mugello, the old Nurburgring, the old Assen, Spa-Francorchamps, Brands Hatch, Watkins Glen, Le Mans...

They draw you in emotionally in a way that the biggest stages in football, tennis etc. just don't.

The reverse is that tracks such as those in Bahrain and Qatar that have no history and empty stands lack the soul that your local football club has in 98% of cases.

Of course I wouldn't expect non-motorsport followers to agree with me but I'm interested in whether other people have thoughts on this?

·
Banned
295 Posts
I follow only F1, although my interest in it is not what is was a few years ago.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nascar :superlol:

Watching cars drive around circles and 8's:spit:
I'm surprised nobody's voted for NASCAR, the most important racing series in the States. Even though I've heard it's only rednecks who watch it for crashes and MTFers are obviously too hipster to for that.

Even though on Sat/Sun night, I actually watched a bit of a Nationwide Series race. It was 3am so I was too tired to watch it finish but I didn't remember that NASCAR isn't actually so boring.

Going off on a tangent I find that few if any arenas in other sports can compare to the beauty of motorsport's greatest venues - Monza, Mugello, the old Nurburgring, the old Assen, Spa-Francorchamps, Brands Hatch, Watkins Glen, Le Mans...

They draw you in emotionally in a way that the biggest stages in football, tennis etc. just don't.

The reverse is that tracks such as those in Bahrain and Qatar that have no history and empty stands lack the soul that your local football club has in 98% of cases.

Of course I wouldn't expect non-motorsport followers to agree with me but I'm interested in whether other people have thoughts on this?
Beatiful nature around can make a race track so beautiful whereas you don't see the nature around in the case of a 15k-seat tennis stadium. Spa is one track in a beatiful place, and e.g. Eau Rouge looks still quite the same as in the 50s pics.

Another circuit that deserves a mention is Potrero de los Funes in Argentina, hosted some GT and touring car races:

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Beatiful nature around can make a race track so beautiful whereas you don't see the nature around in the case of a 15k-seat tennis stadium. Spa is one track in a beatiful place, and e.g. Eau Rouge looks still quite the same as in the 50s pics.

Another circuit that deserves a mention is Potrero de los Funes in Argentina, hosted some GT and touring car races:
The old Hockenheim had a haunting imagery as they surged through the forest, particularly when it was raining. The A1-ring is in a beautiful location too. Plus there's the Fuji Speedway in the shadow of the mountain - even if the track was always going to be unfavourably compared to Suzuka.

Plus there are the various rallying series which naturally showcase the nature around them - similar to Cycling with the various road racing events.

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
Only F1.

Have followed it since 1997 when I was 4/5, and probably only missed about 10 races in all those years. Highlight being the Hakkinen/Schumacher & McLaren/Ferrari rivalry, great times. My interest has waned with F1 continuing to add gimmicks that take away from racing, but I still watch everything if possible.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Only F1.

Have followed it since 1997 when I was 4/5, and probably only missed about 10 races in all those years. Highlight being the Hakkinen/Schumacher & McLaren/Ferrari rivalry, great times. My interest has waned with F1 continuing to add gimmicks that take away from racing, but I still watch everything if possible.
I abandoned it in 2009..Boy, has there ever been a sport that has declined this much by shooting itself in the foot (or tire :lol:) like F1 did? Even Cycling and Tour De France is getting back to being followed again after The Armstrong Fraud and the systematic doping era..

The ratings/spectators have been dwindling massively.. Ecclestone clearly need to GTFO of the sport while FIA has to rollback these gimmicky rules/tweaks..

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Following F1 since that season where Schumi whacked Hill to stop him from winning the World Championship, forget the year now- think it was '95. Was only a little tike, but I remember using kiddie potty words at the TV.

Pretty much watched every race since then (used to be every weekend, with qualifying involving racers getting 10 laps to do their best times). Missed a few races in recent years, partly due to Vettel being boring as all heck. Best time for the sport was probably the Hill-Villeneuve-Schumacher rivalry and Hakkinen later on. Got a bit bland after that tbh. Too many rule changes.

Still watch it though, interesting stuff between Hamilton and Rosberg. Pretty much waiting for a fist fight there.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
to those complaining about sanitised Motorsport circuits today in f1..

... blame this man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Tilke

he's destroyed many great circuits across the globe. Best 3 left for sure are Spa, Suzuka and Canada. (Fuji was great too, most new ones and renovated ones suck balls, Bharain? awful, Abu Dhabi? shocking, remember Valenica? jesus that was bad, Istambul was okay but seriously and I haven't even mentioned India, Korea or the renovated Hockenhiem)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts