• Favourite club and national team equally much

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anybody complains, I used soccer only because it has less letters. And I wrote home/fave national team in case somebody, for some reasons, prefers another country in footy over their own.

So, the World Cup is coming but I must say I'm less passionate about it than the competitions where Liverpool are playing.

I guess that's because there's no team in the WC I could support as much as I support Pool. Finland have never made the WC or Euro. That's why I've usually cheered for England but it's not the same as cheering for your own country. Euro '08 felt strange without England. Now that I'm living in Germany, it'd be cool is Germany won. And I'd be happy for all my German friends if they won the title. And even though Luiz Suarez isn't my favourite personality (but I appreciate his skills), I believe Uruguay winning might be a good thing for Pool.

But none of the WC teams winning would bring me the joy of LFC winning a title. I guess it might be different if Finland were there with a chance to the title. And that's even less likely that Finland winning the Davis Cup one day. Actually, if Finland were a title contender in WC/Euro, I'd probably care about it more than club competitions. I take hockey as an example. My biggest dream in hockey is Finland winning the Olympics (or World Cup or whatever event with all best players).

I also feel the national team events as a bit of glorified exhos. Of course, they show which country does best job and that's why I'd love Finland to win the biggest nations' title in hockey. But another example from hockey: for a player Stanley Cup is the ultimate achievement. A player with no business in NHL might make the Olympic winning team. Then again, to make the Stanley Cup winning team, you don't need to have the luxury of a big hockey country. That's why I won't really cheer for players at the WC but for the nations. I'm not cheering for Uruguay because I want Suarez to win the WC but because I want him to get some momentum for the next winter with Pool. In my books, a CL winning player is greater than a WC winning player. Of course, that depends a bit on what you did in the team but if you spent most of your time as a substitute, then I think making a CL winning team is harder.

·
10,271 Posts
Soccer :zzz:

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
My club is all I really care about.

I like to see my country do well, but I find international breaks during the season an annoyance. I don't attend any national team games despite home matches being in my city.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Club, always. I'd love England to win the World Cup but we could lose every game and I'd still enjoy the tournament. I went to about 18 games last season for my club - not as many as the previous few seasons either - and I've yet to attend an England game.

I'd go as far as saying I'd rather we win the derby twice next season than England win the World Cup.

Like a true glory hunter, I will be changing the flag next to my user name as soon as England get knocked out or Murray does well at either the French Open/Wimbledon :lol: Might change it back if Scotland vote for independence though.

·
Premium Member
5,646 Posts
So, the World Cup is coming but I must say I'm less passionate about it than the competitions where Liverpool are playing.
+1 exactly the same for me. And again, it Finland had qualified, say, for the 02' WC with that glorious team it would have been different for me too :sad: I don't really care about Argentina's, while I'd be glad for Messi (and a couple others) if Argentina win this one, I wouldn't really celebrate. I guess the most important thing for me is that LFC players avoid injury.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Without a doubt I care more about barca than U.S joke of a soccer team.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Bristol City and England are pretty much equal in my eyes, I've been to championships and qualifiers so I have formed maybe more of an attachment to the national team the most.

That being said Bristol City winning the Premier League >> England winning the World Cup

·
Registered
727 Posts
The US national team is my favorite team in any sport I watch, so thats number one always.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Bristol City and England are pretty much equal in my eyes, I've been to championships and qualifiers so I have formed maybe more of an attachment to the national team the most.

That being said Bristol City winning the Premier League >> England winning the World Cup
I must thank you for sending Ricky Foster back to us.

His first touch is special.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Obviously favourite club. Everyone who said the opposite is either a sissy supporter or doesn't give a shit about football and only watches the WC. :lol:

·
Registered
727 Posts
:yeah: :zzz: :zzz:

I'm very sorry for you.
Don't be. I wouldn't have it any other way. Going to Columbus to see the US beat Mexico in September was easily the most fun I have ever had at a sporting event, and I've been lucky enough to see some pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Obviously favourite club. Everyone who said the opposite is either a sissy supporter or doesn't give a shit about football and only watches the WC. :lol:
Fairly myopic view, wouldn't you say?

It is completely reasonable to find international football more exciting and interesting. And not just the World Cup. Qualification is awesome too. I love watching games with countries that won't ever make it to the big stage. I actually watched half of an Estonia/Andorra WCQ a couple years ago that I quite enjoyed. Is it Champions League football? Of course not, doesn't mean one shouldn't like it.

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
Don't be. I wouldn't have it any other way. Going to Columbus to see the US beat Mexico in September was easily the most fun I have ever had at a sporting event, and I've been lucky enough to see some pretty good stuff.
Fairly myopic view, wouldn't you say?

It is completely reasonable to find international football more exciting and interesting. And not just the World Cup. Qualification is awesome too. I love watching games with countries that won't ever make it to the big stage. I actually watched half of an Estonia/Andorra WCQ a couple years ago that I quite enjoyed. Is it Champions League football? Of course not, doesn't mean one shouldn't like it.
Oh geez, an American that calls it "football." Another wannabe-Euro hipster. I bet you're the guy that brings flags to the MLS games and comes up with chants.

It would be alright if US soccer actually tried to develop its own unique personality, but the painfully obvious attempts to mimic European soccer is just embarrassing.

Calling it football instead of soccer? :haha: Hipster alert!
Bringing flags and banners to games? :haha: Poser alert!
Singing chants at games? :haha: Poser alert! What's next, gonna start shooting off flare guns and fireworks and rioting too?

And just look at the team names:
Toronto FC
Chivas USA
FC Dallas
Real Salt Lake
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
New York City FC

:spit:

“I’m a stylish American. I’ve been forcing myself to like soccer since 2004.”
–Jeff Winger, Community

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
I must thank you for sending Ricky Foster back to us.

His first touch is special.
I assume his signing was one of Derek McInnis's moves, what a terrible manager and Foster... jesus a even worse player :lol:

can't believe he's doing well at Aberdeen (Derek that is)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oh geez, an American that calls it "football." Another wannabe-Euro hipster. I bet you're the guy that brings flags to the MLS games and comes up with chants.

It would be alright if US soccer actually tried to develop its own unique personality, but the painfully obvious attempts to mimic European soccer is just embarrassing.

Singing chants at games? :haha: Poser alert! What's next, gonna start shooting off flare guns and fireworks and rioting too?
Such is the plight of the American soccer fan. Call it soccer, get bitched at by Euros, call it football, get bitched at by the yous of the world.

I call it soccer when talking amongst Americans, and football when discussing with Europeans.

And no, I don't bring flags and banners, but I do chant. You know what other sports have chants? All of them....

·
Registered
6,860 Posts

And just look at the team names:
Toronto FC
Chivas USA
FC Dallas
Real Salt Lake
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
New York City FC

:spit:

“I’m a stylish American. I’ve been forcing myself to like soccer since 2004.”
–Jeff Winger, Community

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It's not hipster to call it football since it's its name.

And what are you supposed to do during a game if it's not cheer for your team? Enlight me please.

·
10,271 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It's not hipster to call it football since it's its name.

And what are you supposed to do during a game if it's not cheer for your team? Enlight me please.
Probably not watch Soccer in the first place :zzz:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts