Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know what I am talking about......
The linesman playing by the ATP/WTA rules but inside their heart, when their idol playing on the court, whether it is Federer, Nadal, Nishi, Nicky, Ashy, Sammy, Potro, Stanny, Joker, Osaka, Williams etc on critical moments/scorelines, they can see clearly & closely that the ball was "out" but didn't say it out favouring their 'favourite' player a free ride/point or call "out" when they know it is in & hoping the opponent doesn't challenge it in midpoint or make it replay the point if the linesman knows he/she is likely to lose the point

I've seen a few matches where the player complains the umpire that the linesman made bad judgement (after numerous successful challenges or frustrated that they have to replay the point when they were in a winning court position) especially in Davis Cup who has poor judgement but the player thinks they are bias towards their nation\players (I forgot which matches though).

We will never know but I truly believe there are linesman who are like that

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Even though I firmly believe that most linesmen have no other intention than doing their job as well as they can, I am pretty sure that this must have happened many times already, given the millions of decisions that were made by linesmen in the history of tennis. There may be many other reasons besides sympathy or antipathy for a player. For example, if the umpire made an obviously wrong overrule, a linesman might be tempted to give that point back to a player if there is an opportunity to do so.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,170 Posts
There are bound to be some cases. Hard to prove but one can speculate.

Aside from the Serena Williams Jennifer Capriati example (before Hawkeye), I remember a poster talking about Nishioka getting discriminated against for his height. Some shocking line calls against him.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
It's WTA but last year at Wimbledon, Ostapenko delivered an epic ttirade to chair umpire: she said that one of female line judges was deliberately making calls against her because... Ostapenko had already been a set down by then and the line judge wanted the match to be over as soon as possible so that she could go home. It was hysterical, lol.

·
justice for all
18,786 Posts
Don't know if intentionally but when I first saw this video I thought it was Toni who dressed up as the umpire...

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Even though I firmly believe that most linesmen have no other intention than doing their job as well as they can, I am pretty sure that this must have happened many times already, given the millions of decisions that were made by linesmen in the history of tennis. There may be many other reasons besides sympathy or antipathy for a player. For example, if the umpire made an obviously wrong overrule, a linesman might be tempted to give that point back to a player if there is an opportunity to do so.
This. Probability alone makes this a certainty.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Don't know if intentionally but when I first saw this video I thought it was Toni who dressed up as the umpire...

I was watching this match live on TV and it was a shocking decision in a very important moment. They showed the hawkeye for the TV purposes and the ball was 10 cms out. Goffin went AWOL after that.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
I was watching this match live on TV and it was a shocking decision in a very important moment. They showed the hawkeye for the TV purposes and the ball was 10 cms out. Goffin went AWOL after that.
Mourier got suspended for the rest of the clay season following that incident, but that doesn’t give goffin the point back

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Well if I was linecalling Fedal and one of those irritating muscular moonballs landed plum on the line I would scream 'out' in order to save tennis and humanity.

·
GOAT Predictor
3,120 Posts
In CH match Brown and Coric. There was obviously for ALL big out on serve. Also in match with Goffin and Nadal (there was out 3-4 cm).

Also each other match Dull played... esp on rg

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I like to think that 99.9% of bad calls are just mistakes, simple human error and nothing more.

However if we're being realistic, somebody at some point is going to have made a wrong call on purpose if they thought they could get away with it. Some humans have that nature, where they will push what they think they can get away with. Just like in the police or something, lots of good people but also some who would take advantage.

I don't believe tennis has any significant issue with this though.

·
Banned
3,346 Posts
It definitely happens as I’ve seen some atrocious calls made/not made. Serena and capriati is the best example.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Even the crowd can rob a point ...to confuse and distract the player to think it was called out by the umpire/linesman.

Nicky VS Roger Miami Open classic match was the perfect example at the end of the super high quality TB so you can't blame Nick for being 'legitimately' mad that someone wrecked it during the crucial moment.
And the sad reality is whoever did this dirty little screaming trick in the stand worked for him so Federer should thank him a beer or otherwise he probably would have never won that match, nor that tournament

1 - 20 of 22 Posts