Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coric and Rublev are the hyped Youg Guns in European Tennis.

Both have some skills to be the next leaders, but also some weak links.

Of course things are to/will changewhen they grew up and depending coaches, people... around them.

My opinion so far :

Andrey (1 year younger)

Lots of tennis skills
Lacks of muscles and power
Inhability to kill some matches when come the opportunity to do it.
Strong personnality and lots of self confidence.

Borna

Lacks some tennis skills but able to win ugly.
Inconstancy.
Something tells me he wants to please people instead of being himself but we had the sameissue with Nole.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Re: Are you Borna or Andrey ???

Rublev is somewhat similiar to Safin for me. Technique is very similiar and personality greatly reminds me of him.
I predict he will have awesome results but won't be as constant as top 4 of this time.

Čorić on the other hand, I see him as top 5 player and he will stay there for a long time. Which position he will be depends on how much he will continue to improve.

·
Registered
474 Posts

You think Rublev lacks power? He's a powerful skinny dude and is by far the most intersting young player in the game. I don't know if he'll have a better carrer than Borna but I do believe that Rublev's A-game in the future will be way higher than Borna.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts

In terms of who's better to watch and has more talent? Rublev by far, even at his size he's able to play aggressive. He's got something.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts

I'm neither Borna nor Andrey sadly, I'm Orka_n

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

Rublev by a mile. However, having the privilege of living in one boring pusher's era right now, I can easily see us transitioning to a Baby Boring Pusher's one. I'm becoming a grumpy old guy - everything's doom&gloom for me nowadays:)

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts

Rublev looks like a malnourished powerhouse. Got a firecracker of a game in that young body of his. If he keeps developing the way he is, it'll be pretty easy to support the guy.

Coric might not be as entertaining to watch. His mental strength and ability to win matches should sway some his way.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It's funny how people that don't play tennis thinks Coric or guys like him lacks talent because they don't ball bash.

Yeh, you can be a fan of aggressive/ball bash/shotmaking, not saying it's wrong but that doesn't mean the guy that goes for the line at random situations is more talented than an all-around tactical player. Actually: most of the time it's the opposite. When a player have a weakness in his game he turns into a basher in order to kill the point before the opponent can exploit his weakness. It could be his footwork, cardio, intelligence, tactical awareness or the strokes in particular at some conditions.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
It's funny how people that don't play tennis thinks Coric or guys like him lacks talent because they don't ball bash.

Yeh, you can be a fan of aggressive/ball bash/shotmaking, not saying it's wrong but that doesn't mean the guy that goes for the line at random situations is more talented than an all-around tactical player. Actually: most of the time it's the opposite. When a player have a weakness in his game he turns into a basher in order to kill the point before the opponent can exploit his weakness. It could be his footwork, cardio, intelligence, tactical awareness or the strokes in particular at some conditions.
Finally a decent post in this thread :worship:

·
Registered
894 Posts
Care to share some highlights of Rublev?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It's all about upside here.

Borna has great results, but there are many examples of players who made fast transition to ATP level because of their regularity but then have troubles in making another steps as fast as previously. Croatian has great ranking and big future ahead of him, but I think he doesn't have potential to be top3 potential season by season because of his technique and gamestyle. More between Ferrer and Murray in terms of potential here.

On the other hand, the most impressive thing about Rublyov is that Dimitrov with similar level of physicality (cramping after 2 sets etc) in age of 17 was outside top350 and that shows how big Rublyov's game is. He's dominating (not in terms of score but about what is happening on a court) solid ATP players by his offensive mindset like Verdasco, Andujar and it's scary to think what is going to happen when he won't be that skinny 140 pounds kid in 2 years from now. His transtition to ATP level may not be that fast, but his game may be superior in Wawrinka-way - great strokes from both sides, but with better size, ROS and speed. He has some generational talent in himself, but who knows how he will develop.

PS

Don't call him Rublev, Russians spell it like ''Rublyov''.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Heavily based in the Rublev camp since I saw him live in Barcelona this year.

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
On the other hand, the most impressive thing about Rublyov is that Dimitrov with similar level of physicality (cramping after 2 sets etc) in age of 17 was outside top350 and that shows how big Rublyov's game is. He's dominating (not in terms of score but about what is happening on a court) solid ATP players by his offensive mindset like Verdasco, Andujar and it's scary to think what is going to happen when he won't be that skinny 140 pounds kid in 2 years from now. His transtition to ATP level may not be that fast, but his game may be superior in Wawrinka-way - great strokes from both sides, but with better size, ROS and speed. He has some generational talent in himself, but who knows how he will develop.
I'm with you for that. He may get somehow cocky, though he has something to back it up.

PS

Don't call him Rublev, Russians spell it like ''Rublyov''.
You are right, though never really understood neither Brits/Americans nor Russians why they often transliterate Cyrillic -yov to Latinized -ev.
It is misleading.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Coric and Rublev are the hyped Youg Guns in European Tennis.

Both have some skills to be the next leaders, but also some weak links.

Of course things are to/will changewhen they grew up and depending coaches, people... around them.

My opinion so far :

Andrey (1 year younger)

Lots of tennis skills
Lacks of muscles and power
Inhability to kill some matches when come the opportunity to do it.

Borna

Lacks some tennis skills but able to win ugly.
Inconstancy.
Something tells me he wants to please people instead of being himself but we had the sameissue with Nole.
What tennis skills does Borna lack? And how many matches has Rublev not "killed" when he had the opportunity. You're just making wild statements.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts

Rublev is somewhat similiar to Safin for me. Technique is very similiar and personality greatly reminds me of him.
I predict he will have awesome results but won't be as constant as top 4 of this time.

Čorić on the other hand, I see him as top 5 player and he will stay there for a long time. Which position he will be depends on how much he will continue to improve.
what shot of Coric's makes you think he will ever be capable of making the top 10, let alone the top 5? he lacks the power and frankly he's not THAT amazing of an athletic specimen. if you don't have a ONE great shot or a great serve then you're doomed. even a Ferrer has a pretty potent forehand at times

I would say Andrey has the bigger potential

Coric currently has had an inflated ranking due to playing a ridiculous amount of tournaments, not because he's exceptional for his age

1 - 20 of 37 Posts