Mens Tennis Forums banner

Do you believe in aliens?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a lot of time this afternoon reading about this.
Like the Fermi's paradox, who asks 'Where is everybody?'.
Like the Rare Earth hypothesis.

Do you, MTF, think that there is a extraterrestrial civilization?
I'm sure there is, and I hope to see them during my lifetime, which probably won't happen.

I'm sure, somewhere in the Universe, there is some dude thinking exactly what I'm thinking.

·
Your visions will happen
47,134 Posts
Absolutely there are intelligent life forms in other planets throughout the galaxy/universe.

They are smart enough to not want to hang out with us, at least so far.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
I spent a lot of time this afternoon reading about this.
Like the Fermi's paradox, who asks 'Where is everybody?'.
Like the Rare Earth hypothesis.
I think Kepler mission is slowly proving that Rare Earth is most likely not so rare; however Fermi's paradox is not so easy to go around, and even though there are many possible explanations, none of them seems very plausible. Sheer odds and the vastness of the Space must be in favor of it, but getting any kind of proof will most likely take a really long time. :)

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Kepler mission is slowly proving that Rare Earth is most likely not so rare; however Fermi's paradox is not so easy to go around, and even though there are many possible explanations, none of them seems very plausible. Sheer odds and the vastness of the Space must be in favor of it, but getting any kind of proof will most likely take a really long time. :)
I know, I don't believe in Fermi's paradox and Rare Earth, but they still had a point.
The Universe is really too big, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Anyway, I want to buy some nice books about this stuff, I think I will start with some Carl Sagan stuff, if any of you have some advice, you're welcome.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Primitive life in itself may be incredibly rare. Then, for life to last billions of years, avoiding or surviving supernovae, gamma ray bursts, asteroid impacts, for evolution to take the course required for sapience and for intelligent life to avoid destroying itself through nuclear warfare and developing interstellar travel... I think it's exceedingly rare.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fair point, but it's not impossible. So I'm sure there is that kind of life somewhere.

And still, I'm not sure it's really rare, because there is so much stuff out there.
Maybe for them, avoiding supernovae, GRBs, asteroids etc it's not a big deal like it is for us.

I mean, on Earth, serious technology only begin in the last century, and we can already do so much stuff... Thousands of years from now, there will be even more stuff to do!
So if there is a civilization out there that lasted long enough to develop a really high technology, they are probably even able to avoid that kind of destruction power (GRBs, supernovae).
Avoiding asteroids maybe it's like a joke for them.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
IMO the question is retarded, if the question was do you believe aliens are/were visiting us, or if there are any in solar system, then its debatable.

But to question if there are any in the whole universe is apsurd.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
The magnitude of the universe is so vast pretty much unthinkable and unimaginable to the human mind. The likelihood of extra-terrestrial life is pretty likely.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Fair point, but it's not impossible. So I'm sure there is that kind of life somewhere.

And still, I'm not sure it's really rare, because there is so much stuff out there.
Maybe for them, avoiding supernovae, GRBs, asteroids etc it's not a big deal like it is for us.

I mean, on Earth, serious technology only begin in the last century, and we can already do so much stuff... Thousands of years from now, there will be even more stuff to do!
So if there is a civilization out there that lasted long enough to develop a really high technology, they are probably even able to avoid that kind of destruction power (GRBs, supernovae).
Avoiding asteroids maybe it's like a joke for them.
I'm sure in a century or so, asteroids won't threaten us. But a civilization could easily be destroyed before that point. Just think of the millions of years it took us to reach our technological level.

The Great Filter theory addresses some of this.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
IMO the question is retarded, if the question was do you believe aliens are/were visiting us, or if there are any in solar system, then its debatable.

But to question if there are any in the whole universe is apsurd.
Absurd? There are people who thinks that life is RARE, really RARE.
We haven't been visited by aliens yet. Our galaxy is so ancient that it could have been colonized hundreds, if not thousands, of times over by now.

So how the question is absurd?

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sure in a century or so, asteroids won't threaten us. But a civilization could easily be destroyed before that point. Just think of the millions of years it took us to reach our technological level.

The Great Filter theory addresses some of this.
The Great Filter basically says that every civilization destroys itself before developing space-faring technologies.

But maybe we already passed the Great Filter.

·
Premium Member
21,076 Posts
We haven't been visited by aliens yet. Our galaxy is so ancient that it could have been colonized hundreds, if not thousands, of times over by now.
Well, that is debatable. Our ability to detect for example a U-2 type of aircraft goes back some 60-70 yrs ago at best, and it's hardly Star Trek technology, it was made in the 50s. We could've been visited/observed either in the near or more distant past and nobody would've been aware. Not to mention that even here here on Earth we have "guidelines for the protection of uncontacted tribes" prescribed by United Nations, it's not too far-fetched to assume a more advanced civilization would have something like that as well. Even in today's world some aliens landing in the middle of a city would likely cause a mass hysteria :p

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Almost certainly yes. Perhaps a more appropriate question is how close the nearest intelligent life forms are and thus how long it takes us to discover them. Or they to discover us.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts