Mens Tennis Forums banner

Does tennis need more guys like Tsonga. Wawrinka & Co?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really think it's guys like Jo and Stan that make tennis interesting. They got the tools to beat anybody and they don't have mental blocks like e.g. Ferrer and Berdych who could also beat anybody. Then again, you never know what they come up with, one week they might be GOATing and the following weeks they will be mugging just to be GOATing again few months later. Still, they've shown they have eneough consistency to win something big unlike guys like Gulbis.

Then again, Nadal's made a career of inconsistent opponents by playing percentage tennis that's most of the time enough to beat his more risk-taking opposition. I'd enjoy tennis more if there were more risk-taking players preventing percentage robots from succeeding. None of those risk-takers would have enough consistency to dominate the tour but they'd have good runs here and then. It'd be exciting as you'd never know who's gonna have a deep run. Ofc. bad for the ATP's business as none of the players would be so marketable.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Ferrer is not capable of beating everybody.

Other than that, I agree, Stronga and Slamwrinka are good for the game.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
a.k.a. Does tennis need respite from constant top 4 barrage?

Yes.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
No, we need more players like Monfils.

·
Banned
18,509 Posts
Tennis needs more offensive players to bring variety, yes. Milos will help solve that problem over the next few years, though.
The only problem Botnic needs to solve is how not to injure his back while bending over for Frauderer in every match.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
A bit misleading to pool Tsonga and Wawrinka in the same category since Wawrinka's entire 2013 was pretty damn strong, which no doubt culminated in his win at the AO this year.

Tsonga's latest run, by contrast, currently seems like much more of an anomaly (let's hope that changes).

On another note, it's hilarious to see people breaking down over Wawrinka's victory to this day. If anything, even the biggest tards should be thanking him for offering a little perspective to the game again. We're so used to the dominance that's been ushered in by Federer and picked up by guys like Nadal and Djokovic that it's almost become an expectancy. Seeing Wawrinka struggle to adapt to and compete with the expectations and pressure following his win really reminds us what a remarkable feat any of the top guys have managed by competing so well so consistently. Wawrinka is a great champion, but each of the "Big 4" are just truly different players in their ability to maintain the stranglehold that they have.

Not that I'd expect many here to even concede these things.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Tsonga's entire career pre-14 was considerably better than Wawrinka's, so his play last week was more of a return to form, but on a very good week.

Yes, tennis benefits from players like them. They might not have the same consistency, but the fact they can do it, keeps things more interesting.

Only the tardy fans believe it's good for the sport that their favourite is dominating a particular statistic.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Of course. The fact Jo is slamless is depressing. It's like Nalbandian, Davydenko and rios having no slams.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Yes I think we Need more offensive players like them with More consistency.

Only Nadal/Murray fan could vote, no. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts